Pattaya: Chinese tour guide dead after tourist enrages elephant by pulling tail

webfact

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

Of course these should all be banned as well.  A lot of people seem to be citing other animal abuses - I'm not sure why?  Are they trying to suggest that abusing elephants is okay because other animals are also abused elsewhere in the world?  If they aren't suggesting that, then what are you saying this for?

You tell other people to go back and read your posts but you do not read the posts that you comment on. Are you that much out of touch that you only see what you want to see? The post that I was responding to which you have quoted was that if anyone supports any animal cruelty to any animal is a moron and too stupid for words. The reason why I link the abuse of the elephants to other animal abuse is because it does not make any difference on whether it is an elephant or a race horse or any other animal that is being abused for human entertainment and many people jump on here about the cruelty of the elephant that think nothing about going to a horse race and betting on the horses which is animal abuse for human entertainment. You are definitely a one eyed idiot that needs to broaden you views instead of trying to denigrate other people

23 hours ago, Catoni said:

They don't mind working with people and giving people rides as long as the people are friendly and don't start annoying them. 

Total nonsense.

They are beaten into submission.

Who designated you as the elephant's spokesperson? Which elephants told you that?

"They don't mind working with people..."

If they didn't mind, the mahouts wouldn't need metal bars to beat them with, and chains would be unnecessary.

How ignorant.

Edited by JimmyJ

13 hours ago, steven100 said:

release them into the wild so the poachers can shoot them for their ivory.

I think they are better in santuaries

We should be clear about what we mean when we use the word sanctuary because there are lots of national park type (government run) 'wildlife sanctuaries' where elephants live in the wild.  You are talking about the privately owned and run elephant sanctuaries where tourists can interact, feed, and get close to elephants that have supposedly been 'rescued' from somewhere.

In the wild, most of the forested areas where they are are well-protected by armed rangers.  Thailand does a good job of deterring poachers when compared to neighbouring countries.  Most of these elephants do not have any ivory anyway.

And in 'sanctuaries' presumably any ivory is sold when they die anyway, so it's the same end result.

Keeping animals captive for a purpose anything other than conservation is wrong.  These sanctuaries would not be there if they were not touted as a tourist attraction and/or there was no money involved.  Many of the no-hunting areas and forest complexes and national parks in Thailand are Unesco world heritage sites and there is global as well as national pressure on Thailand to protect them.

6 hours ago, Russell17au said:

You tell other people to go back and read your posts but you do not read the posts that you comment on. Are you that much out of touch that you only see what you want to see? The post that I was responding to which you have quoted was that if anyone supports any animal cruelty to any animal is a moron and too stupid for words. The reason why I link the abuse of the elephants to other animal abuse is because it does not make any difference on whether it is an elephant or a race horse or any other animal that is being abused for human entertainment and many people jump on here about the cruelty of the elephant that think nothing about going to a horse race and betting on the horses which is animal abuse for human entertainment. You are definitely a one eyed idiot that needs to broaden you views instead of trying to denigrate other people

I read your post and my reply was aimed at everybody, not specifically you.  Perhaps I shouldn't have quoted you, I was just too lazy to go and find all the other quotes.

29 minutes ago, dfdgfdfdgs said:

I read your post and my reply was aimed at everybody, not specifically you.  Perhaps I shouldn't have quoted you, I was just too lazy to go and find all the other quotes.

OK, No problem

But just to set the record straight I am against all animal cruelty for human entertainment

From what I have seen of the Elephants  in Phuket that are used for this , they are treated extremely well , not chained up , they have a huge area were they roam  freely, when not working   , I would imagine the ones in Pattaya  would be also treated as well. Sad to see someone  loss there life, because of an idiot  .

On ‎22‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:22 AM, Russell17au said:

What about cock fights, dog fights, horse racing, harness racing, rodeo's, greyhound racing or the English gentlemen's sport of fox hunting and what about the Olympic sport of show jumping. If you follow or support any of these then you are also a moron and too stupid for words because they all have animal cruelty involved in the training or the performance of these animals

Yeah you are right, all those are cruel and anyone who follows or supports them is a moron..

On 12/28/2017 at 7:20 PM, shan777 said:

From what I have seen of the Elephants  in Phuket that are used for this , they are treated extremely well , not chained up , they have a huge area were they roam  freely, when not working   , I would imagine the ones in Pattaya  would be also treated as well. Sad to see someone  loss there life, because of an idiot  .

"they are treated extremely well , not chained up , they have a huge area were they roam  freely, when not working " - 

What can you tell in a day? The average tourist doesn’t have the capacity to identify cruelty to animals because sometimes that cruelty is not overt.” Born Free foundation.

Elephants naturally travel many kilometres per day....did you see that amount of space?