Call center crackdown - members of public start to get their money back!

rooster59

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I'd go with that idea of public service announcements. I don't really know, but I've never noticed anything like that here.

Just to compare it with the UK for a moment, as a kid I remember that sort of information being paid for by the government and shown in the regular advert slots, for things like:

Encouraging kids to cross the road safely.

Showing the dangers of allowing young children near the gas stove in the kitchen, how they might grab hold of the handle of a boiling pan of fat and pull it onto themselves.

"Lock it or lose it" a (police?) sponsored campaign to encourage to people to secure their homes and vehicles.

Use of a UV marker to write your postcode on personal items, allowing them to be identified, in the case of stolen items being recovered.

Yes some might call it a nanny-state mentality, but here in Thailand I think anything that encourages people to think for themselves and take responsibility is a good idea.

Yes I remember them..... government sponsored safety initiatives to increase public safety and highlight dangers.

that’s what good governance does.... protects the people. Bad governance... not so much

ironically, that’s what we want... good governance and protection, but when it happens, it’s labelled as a nanny state

anyone here (posting), who would trot out the “then go home blah blah” mantra.... think first about how many times you (personally) have critised police inaction, government corruption, repetitive flooding, raw sewage on the beach etc etc.... things that good governance would provide... that a nanny state provides.

no... I don’t want to live in a nanny state.... but maybe a big sister state would be nice....

I got several phone calls in September. My phone is registered on my wife's name.

1st one was a call with someone only speaking Thai. Told them I don't speak monkey language nor Chinese.

2nd one was a bit later from the number above by a poor English speaking lady, for a survey about expats and told me that I could win a price. They asked my name. As I was in a good mood that day and out with my friends, I told them that my name was: Doug Donalds from Paris, France. They asked me my age: 38, how long I was staying in Thailand, my answer: almost 2 years, what kind of visa I was having, if I was working in Thailand, for what company I was working... Etc.. I just gave them phony answers as my friends were laughing themselves a stomach ache. Also asked them what price I won... a car, a trip to Hawaï, a hike to a National Park... They then hang up.

A week later I got another call but they thought they were talking with Doug Donalds. They told me they were police and that they had found a load of drugs in a parcel send to me, Doug Donalds. I asked them what kind of drugs. They answered XTC and I needed to pay 500k to avoid prosecution. My answer: Take the XTC swallow them and have fun. Bye..

This is how or part of these scams are working. First call someone for a survey and tell them they can win a price to get some information.... 

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

As long as the police  treats all those call centers criminals

who prey on the gullible and the unsuspecting with only fines

and slap on the wrist, they will continue to operate and cheat

and scam people....

who in the world would ever let the coppers write the checks ? i thought their job was chasing bad guys . i can see it now , one for you , and one for you and 2 for me , one for you , one for you and 3 for me .....what i fine idea , let the chicken hawk count the chickens .....

1 minute ago, mikiea said:

who in the world would ever let the coppers write the checks ? i thought their job was chasing bad guys . i can see it now , one for you , and one for you and 2 for me , one for you , one for you and 3 for me .....what i fine idea , let the chicken hawk count the chickens .....

It's obviously Thainess in play here.

8 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

My bet would be that the BKK boiler room farangs don't ever get nabbed!

well the boiler room farangs pay weekly big cash to top Thailand police...only those get nabbed who failed to pay up or meet demands once they where exposed....business as usual in los

20 hours ago, farcanell said:

Yes I remember them..... government sponsored safety initiatives to increase public safety and highlight dangers.

that’s what good governance does.... protects the people. Bad governance... not so much

ironically, that’s what we want... good governance and protection, but when it happens, it’s labelled as a nanny state

anyone here (posting), who would trot out the “then go home blah blah” mantra.... think first about how many times you (personally) have critised police inaction, government corruption, repetitive flooding, raw sewage on the beach etc etc.... things that good governance would provide... that a nanny state provides.

no... I don’t want to live in a nanny state.... but maybe a big sister state would be nice....

Oh!  The nanny states have conquered cybercrime, have they?  No phone scams in the nanny states either? 

What rubbish.  Nanny states are so busy running one big institutionalized scam they call "government" themselves ("just let us grab most of your hard-earned wages and we'll take care of every li'l ol' thing..."), they don't have any better hand on these criminals than any other country.

Nanny states are the UN-solution to this problem.  They'll actually PAY some witless drone a union-scale salary just to answer the phone and suggest you call some other union-scale witless drone (rinse & repeat)...

Edited by hawker9000

3 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

Oh!  The nanny states have conquered cybercrime, have they?  No phone scams in the nanny states either? 

What rubbish.  Nanny states are so busy running one big institutionalized scam they call "government" themselves ("just let us grab most of your hard-earned wages and we'll take care of every li'l ol' thing..."), they don't have any better hand on these criminals than any other country.

Nanny states are the UN-solution to this problem.  They'll actually PAY some witless drone a union-scale salary just to answer the phone and suggest you call some other union-scale witless drone (rinse & repeat)...

Yes... no... what?

your post referencing my post doesn’t seem to have relevance to my post, which was a reply to another poster, so should not be taken out of context.

for your edification, (as you seemed to have missed the point) .... we were kicking around the idea of public service announcements to advise Thais about scams and scam avoidance, and used “home country” examples of things we remembered as “public service announcements”

However, the problem herein, and discussed, is that suggesting public service announcements, or similar western style approaches to problems we see around us, inevitably draws critise and posts suggesting One should leave Thailand if One doesn’t like Thailand, or the aspect being discussed.... which has, is and always will be a childish retort ( like a churlish playground act of taking your ball home when you don’t get your own way)

so.... simply put.... I never even came close to suggesting nanny states had a handle on the problem of cybercrime.... cybercrime wasn’t even in my thoughts...... because we were discussing community service announcements in general, and noted that these are a feature of nanny states.

if I can help explain things further, I’m more than happy too, as I’m in a giving mood... being Xmas and all... so merry Xmas

This is a worldwide phenomenon isn't it? That some Nigerians from some obscure village in Nigeria could scam money from people just using some sweet words. Now the Chinese and Taiwanese are catching up with these games.

The magic words are "I love you so much after I got to know you I just want to send some gifts to you". Wow such expensive gifts he must really loves me.

These scammers know if they keep saying, "I love you, I just can't wait to see you" it will finally works. women like to think someone out there loves them and dying to see them and they are really women in love, not some ugly old hag. The photos of someone who looks like George Clooney were send to these women are such simple tricks it just boggles your mind to think how anyone could possibly fall for it.

Well, the world today in nutshell, The politicians are getting more and more greedy the people are getting more and more foolish. The politicians think of ways to get money out of the people even scammers have a field day. Politicians and Scammers can be put in the same category. Mind you politicians also promise you many things, they say they want to take care of you,(Nigerians also say to the women they want to take care of them) vote for me, your healthcare will be taken care of. Really?