Taking back control: UK's classic blue-and-gold passport to return

rooster59

2 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

When forum thread contributors provide links to hardline websites they like to hang out with as reference points, always good to check out the dodgy company they are keeping. And in the above example (The Rebel) we haven't been disappointed.

Although I dont think that plagiarism is such a big issue .

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

The Rebel: leading contributor Tommy Robinson, founder of the EDL (English Defence League) UK neo-fascist organisation.

Unfortunately bigoted people 

Like yourself, have to resort to name calling, for the simple reason, you do not have an argument to back up your stance.

Just now, SheungWan said:

It is OK to have a (reasonable) go at forum contributors. It is not OK IMHO to make an uncalled-for remark about a contributor's family member.

You was the one to bring your uncomprehending wife into the discussion - not me.

Edit - my mistake, just realised you were complaining on behalf of another poster....

Edited by dick dasterdly

3 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

It is OK to have a (reasonable) go at forum contributors. It is not OK IMHO to make an uncalled-for remark about a contributor's family member.

Although "ignorant" does mean "uninformed about a subject"

So, it would be correct terminology 

2 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Unfortunately bigoted people 

Like yourself, have to resort to name calling, for the simple reason, you do not have an argument to back up your stance.

Plenty of arguments on both sides. Just that a lot of those on either side don't want to listen and keep repeating their slogans ad nauseam.

In fact, there are more than just two possibilities in play but to get the morons on either side to consider anything other than their entrenched positions is not going to happen. Let the name calling continue. 

31 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Yes. A majority of the British public succumbed to blatant nationalism and economic illiteracy. Shameful and slowly people are realising their mistake.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not at all.

IMO a majority of voters expressed their dislike of the current status quo - as their salaries/wages have stagnated (at best) over the last few decades....

I agree there was a certain amount of nationalism, but the causes behind the brexit vote go far deeper.

You have to bear in mind that pretty much ALL politicians/'experts' were declaring immediate armageddon in the event of a brexit vote....   I suspect that Osborne's promised punishment budget was the final straw.

But this is way off-topic.

2 hours ago, SheungWan said:

When forum thread contributors provide links to hardline websites they like to hang out with as reference points, always good to check out the dodgy company they are keeping. And in the above example (The Rebel) we haven't been disappointed.

On top of that, I very much doubt the claim made in the article is true.

2 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I feel v sorry for you.  Presumably you've a European wife and not a Thai wife?

Perhaps you should also explain to your ignorant wife that nothing has currently changed - we're all waiting to find out the 'final' agreement....

Sad post.

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Perhaps you should also explain to your ignorant wife that nothing has currently changed - we're all waiting to find out the 'final' agreement....

presumably a European wife won't need a Schengen visa after Brexit (except a British passport holder) honourable Sir. also... the jury is still out to decide what wife is more ignorant.  :coffee1:

Edited by Naam

On 23/12/2017 at 3:45 AM, sanemax said:

No. All E.U passports had to have the same specifications , size, colour etc

EU passports conform to a UN organisation specification that's  based in canada,they have to be machine readable,the colour is not actually specified the UK could have had any colour they wanted it is cheaper if they are all one colour that's why the EU recommended the burgundy colour.the only real change that the UK can do is the colour if they really did go back to the old style passports we would have to stand in line at every border because each passport would have to be manually checked,be careful what you wish for.

29 minutes ago, adammike said:

EU passports conform to a UN organisation specification that's  based in canada,they have to be machine readable,the colour is not actually specified the UK could have had any colour they wanted it is cheaper if they are all one colour that's why the EU recommended the burgundy colour.the only real change that the UK can do is the colour if they really did go back to the old style passports we would have to stand in line at every border because each passport would have to be manually checked,be careful what you wish for.

No one is wishing that we go back to the old style passports, then ones with a photo space for the Wife and the ones that are not machine readable, its stupid to even suggest that

1 hour ago, SheungWan said:

Some people like to shoot themselves in the foot. A Brexiteer characteristic?

The guy in question is Australian and therefore didnt vote in the Brexit referendum and you are just assuming that he would have voted leave, whereas he quite probably didnt have an opinion at all

18 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I do not need your sympathy and it is quite obvious you did not read the post, my wife is Thai. Since when did Europeans have to apply for a Schengen visa.

Your comment about my wife being ignorant is quite offensive but that is brexiteers all over. For your information she was the financial director of a Scandinavian company and handled all visa matters for senior management.

As for this final agreement. it is a simple fact that after March 2019 the spouse of a UK citizen will no longer have freedom of movement, unless of course brexit is cancelled.

19 hours ago, sanemax said:

BTW , Thais did have to pay for Schengen visa prior to Brexist and nothing will change in that respect

That is not true, my wife has never paid for a Schengen visa, they are free to the spouse of a EU citizen which also carries freedom of movement when accompanied.

You may well be right that there is some reciprocal arrangement in respect of EU and UK nationals but it is very unlikely that third country family members of UK nationals will get the same benefits that they currently enjoy under the EU directive.

12 minutes ago, sandyf said:

That is not true, my wife has never paid for a Schengen visa, they are free to the spouse of a EU citizen which also carries freedom of movement when accompanied.

You may well be right that there is some reciprocal arrangement in respect of EU and UK nationals but it is very unlikely that third country family members of UK nationals will get the same benefits that they currently enjoy under the EU directive.

A key point is the default that would ensue if the uber Hard Brexiteers had their way and there was no agreement and no arrangements. Good job that they have failed at the first hurdle but still plotting.

Just now, SheungWan said:

A key point is the default that would ensue if the uber Hard Brexiteers had their way and there was no agreement and no arrangements. Good job that they have failed at the first hurdle but still plotting.

Who are these "uber (nice German word there) hard bexiteers" that you speak of ?

Who are these people that want no visa arrangements with Europe ?

23 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Whilst I do understand your concerns , there are more import issues than whether your Wife will need a visa for Shengen Countries , in the future .

Lets wait until an agreement has been reached , before you embarrassingly explain to your Wife that she has to pay for a schengen visa

Margaret Thatcher’s key foreign policy adviser has mocked commentators rejoicing over the decision to change the colour of the British passport, describing it as nostalgia driven by ageing Eurosceptics.

Confirming it was Thatcher’s government who “chose” to ditch the blue passport in the 1980s – under no pressure from the European Union – Charles Powell said the clamour for the old-style travel document was “part of the nostalgia on which the predominantly elderly Brexit constituency thrives”.

Source: The Guardian - always keen to print commie talk.

The great British institution The Sun, led the campaign to get the UK passports back to blue 

"The "Old Blue" passport was introduced in 1920.

Six years later the League of Nations — forerunner of the United Nations — described the elegant British design as "perfection itself".

But in 1981 — eight years after we joined the EU — Brussels demanded all member states should have a "European" passport within four years.

Britain resisted strongly until 1988. We were the last of the then EU nations to go burgundy."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5192542/uk-dark-blue-passport-back/

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

The great British institution The Sun, led the campaign to get the UK passports back to blue 

Six years later the League of Nations — forerunner of the United Nations — described the elegant British design as "perfection itself".

But in 1981 — eight years after we joined the EU — Brussels demanded all member states should have a "European" passport within four years.

Britain resisted strongly until 1988. We were the last of the then EU nations to go burgundy."

Little things please little minds.

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Reading the post above your post would be asking too much I guess?

16 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Little things please little minds.

So, why do you feel that its so important NOT to have blue passports then ?

You really cannot call people small minded on the basis that they want blue passports, when you equally want burgundy passports

13 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I was attacking the author and those that find inspiration in his book.

The author is NOT somebody that one can casually quote.

Shame on you.

It is not truth that matters, but victory. 
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/adolf_hitler_378176

Unsuitable for TV

Anyone quoting Hitler to make a point deserves an extended ignore by the community. I support Oldhippy on this.

Edited by Grouse