Motorcycle taxi rank have had enough of "Nonthaburi mafia" as gran speaks up!

rooster59

33(12).png

Image: Tnews

Motorcycle taxi riders in the Nonthaburi area north of Bangkok have gone to the police to complain about extortion.

They said they are subjected to regular illegal payments to shady figures operating in the Ratanathibet area.

They produced as evidence an altercation with one man called "Toi" as local officials and soldiers looked on apparently powerless to act.

The bikers were led by the unlikely figure of 58 year old female "win" Phan Noikaew - number 32 on the rank - who told the cops about the extortion and unfairness. She figured up front and central in the video, too.

She was backed up by 47 year old Phiran Injornma - number 74 on the rank. 

The riders have spoken of being extorted out of 7,000 baht each when it used to be just 20 baht a month in the old days.

This is in addition to fees levied legally by the authorities so that riders have the official jacket.

The angry "wins" (motorcycle taxi slang) said that if something is not done to reign in the mafia there will be trouble.

Source: Tnews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-12-23

About time somebody had the guts to stand-up to a local mafia!  However, having their names and rank numbers printed for all to see, I dare say they are regretting their reaction to normal Thai daily life.

I hope the BiB sort it out before it escalates into the usual violent repercussions.

5 hours ago, Get Real said:

Mafia! In Thailand???? Nah, that was the most outrageous BS I´ve ever heard.

Don't worry the new Thailand Tourism Manager will solve this! His task list is getting longer and longer and its still not Xmas yet. Hope he is Santa Clause.. LOL.

30 minutes ago, wavemanwww said:

Don't worry the new Thailand Tourism Manager will solve this! His task list is getting longer and longer and its still not Xmas yet. Hope he is Santa Clause.. LOL.

Oh dear! This is just getting more and more wierd. Now somebody is trying to tell me that turism is going to suffer out of a non existing mafia?? I just thought it couldn´t be worse. :cheesy:

Edited by Get Real

The bikers were led by the unlikely figure of 58 year old female "win" Phan Noikaew - number 32 on the rank

So the media is doing their utmost to protect the already extorted workers - now if you can just print the names and addresses of all their families this should make sure you sell lots of media garbage!!

7 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Gee..I thought this forum would offer her full moral support......but no.....in the usual TVF way....tear her down.....we just love to see everything fail don't we?

Moral support is one thing, having a grasp on reality is another.

These things have a habit of just failing, but, here is some moral support, good luck girl.

Try not paying it!

7 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Gee..I thought this forum would offer her full moral support......but no.....in the usual TVF way....tear her down.....we just love to see everything fail don't we?

Tear her down? Sorry, but what are you talking about? Not a single criticism of the woman that I can see. I think you're just one of those TV-reading, anti_TVers who react in knee-jerk fashion at any slight excuse to attack TV members (who mostly will come out in support of "grannie" as this day wears on, I'm certain).

On 12/23/2017 at 2:01 PM, Moti24 said:

About time somebody had the guts to stand-up to a local mafia!  However, having their names and rank numbers printed for all to see, I dare say they are regretting their reaction to normal Thai daily life.

I hope the BiB sort it out before it escalates into the usual violent repercussions.

As I read this, I wondered why this kind of detail had to be reported. Are the informants (I mean reporters) part of the problem too? My Thai friends tell me it is rotten all the way to the top and mostly around the capital. The educated elite and the rich and powerful are pulling the strings, probably using all means at their disposal (the so-called legal channels or not), but then anyone thinking there is no corruption (I mean lobbying) in our countries needs to get educated too.

2 hours ago, EnlightenedAtheist said:

As I read this, I wondered why this kind of detail had to be reported. Are the informants (I mean reporters) part of the problem too? My Thai friends tell me it is rotten all the way to the top and mostly around the capital. The educated elite and the rich and powerful are pulling the strings, probably using all means at their disposal (the so-called legal channels or not), but then anyone thinking there is no corruption (I mean lobbying) in our countries needs to get educated too.

The reporters don't give a toss about anybody but themselves; typical me-me-me attitude, which is so common here.  Your Thai friends are not wrong.  However, getting any of them to admit their misgivings in public won't happen.  Life is cheap here, so speaking-out could be detrimental to one's health.

Have a good Christmas and New Year.

On 24/12/2017 at 8:13 AM, digger70 said:

Soon there will be Two vacant spaces on the Rank,,,,It's shocking that nothing can be done ,Police /army/ Mafia ,,all same until the Government cleans this shit up from the Top down.

Be aware that an organised crime group committing extortion (or mafia) cannot exist without protection from senior ranking people in the police or the military or in the district or provincial administration. Your post implies that the "mafia" is some independent body. Nothing could be further from truth. These are groups committing crime but being led by senior people from the safety of official positions. This gives them impunity along with their private militias (nobody ever uses that term in Thailand).

Edited by Briggsy

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

Be aware that an organised crime group committing extortion (or mafia) cannot exist without protection from senior ranking people in the police or the military or in the district or provincial administration. Your post implies that the "mafia" is some independent body. Nothing could be further from truth. These are groups committing crime but being led by senior people from the safety of official positions. This gives them impunity along with their private militias (nobody ever uses that term in Thailand).

Didn't you read?I said Mafia/Police/Army All the same :wai: