Mahouts Versus Rambo

george

Mahouts versus Rambo

CHIANG MAI: -- Chiang Mai mahouts claim the filming of a Hollywood movie invaded part of a forest conservation area without legal permission and also barred villagers from entering the forest, an informed source said yesterday.

The mahouts in Mae Taeng district's Tambon Keud Chang claimed production of "Rambo IV: In the Serpent's Eye", starring Sylvester Stallone, had prevented them from feeding their elephants in the forest.

Chiang Mai natural resources and environment official Phuchong Insombat said the film company had asked for permission to use the forest areas in Doi Saket district's Tambon Mae Phra and Luang Nher.

However, they also used the Keud Chang "first-class" area (areas deemed most fertile) without obtaining legal permission, he said.

Phuchong said his office would cooperate with other agencies to inspect the area today, using the Global Positioning System (GPS) to check if the company had used the area illegally.

Meanwhile, the Cabinet yesterday approved the Tourism and Sports Ministry's proposal to make Thailand a one-stop service centre for film production to attract overseas producers, said Netpreya Chumchaiyo, assistant spokesman at the PM's Office,.

The Cabinet also instructed the ministry to join forces with the Natural Resources and Environment Ministry and the Cultural Ministry to make a list of locations where film productions could be operated without damaging the environment and another guide to what was permitted for film crews.

--The Nation 2007-01-17

I remember similar issues regarding filming of "The Beach" in Phi Phi. The film companies "regard" for the environment ended up leaving the beach denuded and the first storm of the season destroyed the "perfect beach" they had so eagerly filmed, if I recall the story correctly.

I remember similar such promises by the govt of making film production easier at the time, as well.

I remember similar issues regarding filming of "The Beach" in Phi Phi. The film companies "regard" for the environment ended up leaving the beach denuded and the first storm of the season destroyed the "perfect beach" they had so eagerly filmed, if I recall the story correctly.

I remember similar such promises by the govt of making film production easier at the time, as well.

A so-called movie producer (called himself Russel) was knocking around the bars three or four weeks ago and claimed to be working on the Rambo IV movie. It seems perhaps he's the one of the jungle rogues then?

I didn't think they were even filming that movie yet!

OT but I think with a title like 'In the Eye of the Serpent' the film really needs to pull everything out of the bag to make it a hit!

IMO this movie will likely flop.

Ulysses G. ....Tried to get in & edit my last post (I suppose I waited to long as edit not available) as I wanted you to know I was not slamming you or your post. I (unfortunately) have a sarcastic sense of humor & it has been known to get me bum in a crack, now & then. :o

Regards, TLloyd

Edited by TLloyd

A so-called movie producer (called himself Russel) was knocking around the bars three or four weeks ago and claimed to be working on the Rambo IV movie.

No problemo, TLoyd, but I was responding to the post quoted above.

Stalone was eating almost every day at a place that I frequent , so "Russell" probably was the real deal! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I didn't think Rambo IV had started shooting yet?

The group in Bangkok (led by the infamous Ing K) who claimed The Beach had damaged Ao Maya on Ko Phi-Phi Leh had never visited or seen that beach prior to the filming. The producers actually removed several tons of garbage from the beach and from the bay bottom, and to myself and anyone else who knew the spot both before and after the filming, it was obvious they left the beach cleaner than it was before the shoot. ReefCheck monitered the beach before, during and after filming and reported that the impact was minimal, less than what nature and tourism throws at the beach every day, year in and year out.

from ReefCheck's visit during The Beach filming:

We were surprised to find that all of the trash and debris were gone. Not just on the beach, but in the water, too. A boardwalk trail had been constructed and about one-fourth of the foliage removed. All of the bigger shrubs, the figs and wild hibiscus were still there. Tight lines along the boardwalk bore signs to stay on the walk and out of the brush. Further back, there was a wooden platform and stairs to a small deck at the hole in the rock. There were chemical toilets off to one side. There was not a baggie or a cigarette butt anywhere. All of the construction had been cleverly done so that it was completely removable. There would not be a nail hole or strap mark on a tree. All of the driftwood that had been far back of the beach was still there. I thought the area behind the beach looked better than it had in years. Brush and grasses that had been removed were being cared for in a nursery on the island.

During the last days of January, there were more stories of coral damage, sand removal and, most awful, the planting of coconut palms. My partner, Anne, and I went back. A large barge was anchored in Lo Sama. More than half a dozen lines led off in all directions to anchors. Two large catamarans were tied up alongside. The barge was connected by a floating, wooden walkway to a wooden deck on shore which led through the rocks to the deck I had seen before. Anne and I checked every anchor. Each one was buried in the sand. None of the ropes touched any coral. No coral appeared to have been damaged in any way. In fact, the coral looked a bit healthier than it did in December. I inquired and was told that the catamarans, which came from Malaysia, did not pump any sewage into the water-all of it was retained, unlike the local boats. New mooring buoys with sand anchors had also replaced some that had been tied around coral heads.

I walked to the beach. The decks and stairs were all set above the landscape so as not to crush it. Lines and signs prevented access to the surrounding landscape. The deck had been expanded to approximately seven meters square. Again, the construction was exemplary by any standard. The area behind the beach was otherwise as I had seen it in December. The beach itself now had a forest of 60 coconut palms planted in the sand. Each was still in its burlap sack, watered by buried plastic lines, and could be easily removed. No new brush had been removed. Two areas of access from Ao Maya to this area had been widened, the sand pushed to one side, easily replaced. I wandered the water's edge, then back along the trail, double-checking my observations, wondering about the demonstrations in Bangkok, and why The Beach was the target of all this environmental ire.

There were also stories that erosion the year after the filming was due to the 'disturbance' but similar erosion patterns occurred all over the place that year due to heavier-than-normal rains. The 2004 tsunami affected Ao Maya tremendously, adding more sand to the beach.

Back to Rambo!

It's nice to see someone reporting a bit of truth about the Beach .. The only Damage the Film caused was making it into a Pilgrimage spot for Dicaprio fans.

Regarding Rambo .. Thai News outlets are already reporting that this article is inaccurate and that this location has nothing to do with Rambo at all

It is a shame (but not surprising) that the Nation printed a translation of an erroneous article from a Thai language newspaper without actually checking any facts for themselves.

I didn't think Rambo IV had started shooting yet?

The group in Bangkok (led by the infamous Ing K) who claimed The Beach had damaged Ao Maya on Ko Phi-Phi Leh had never visited or seen that beach prior to the filming. The producers actually removed several tons of garbage from the beach and from the bay bottom, and to myself and anyone else who knew the spot both before and after the filming, it was obvious they left the beach cleaner than it was before the shoot. ReefCheck monitered the beach before, during and after filming and reported that the impact was minimal, less than what nature and tourism throws at the beach every day, year in and year out.

Back to Rambo!