Police appeal for public help to lower holiday road toll

webfact

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah boy. Methinks the polfleece should appeal to themselves to do their jobs.  

The question is  how do these moronic drivers pass a driving test in the first place?  

Last week I parked my motorbike on the sidewalk in front of a restaurant I frequent. I left pleny of space for someone to pass. When I got out of the restaurant to get on the bike a Thai guy stops me and says to me, "can I ask you a question"? I said sure. He says, "why do you park your bike on the sidewalk"?  

I said because I want to be just like the Thai people.

This year I'll really give my contribution: I've decided to stay home! One less car on the road, fewer exhaust fumes, fewer mileage on my engine, more money in my pocket.

By the way, last year I traveled by night train in a sleeping coach. It was super clean and comfortable: I love Thai trains but the only trouble is that if you don't book 60 days ahead in high season forget finding a free spot.

Have you all a safe new year.

Police asking for assistance, it should be the other way round. Waste of time anyway, the Thais only think about number 1, flock the rest...

I see that the story now has Thailand as No.2 in the world for deadliest roads. I guess they didn't like to admit to being No.1, quelle surprise... 

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

I disagree: reduce the number of people not wearing helmets and that reduces the number of people being killed in accidents; reduce the number of drunk drivers on the roads and that reduces the number of accidents; reduce the number of people driving without tax, insurance and license and that reduces the number of accidents, because those people haven't learned how to drive properly and likely haven't taken a driving test.

Actually, I'll agree, but to a point. Those actions do no reduce the number of accidents from what they already are!  Road blocks!
This is what that always do, which means that this is the status quo; this is the baseline; the bench mark.  If they stopped, then then the carnage would be exponential worse than in is now. But road block checks aren't doing a thing to reduce that accident level from what it already is. 
Their problem is that they are doing virtually nothing to deter the dangerous, aggressive, and utterly stupid driving behaviors that happen in between the check points.  You need cops in patrol cars pulling violators over and issuing citations which are significantly painful financially to be a deterrent, embrace a point system, and forward the vehicle's numbers to insurance companies. 

Let's get real here. You can go to the intersection of Huey Kaew and Niemenhammen rd in Chiang Mai any day of the week and all day long cars go thru the red lights. Cops sit on their asses and do nothing.  

The question is why?  They are a joke. The system here is a joke.  It starts at the top.

When you can assault foreigners with guns and get off with a warning; when you can drive drunk and get off with a small fine; when you can drive on the wrong side of the road and not get stopped-ever; when you can drive thru a red light with impunity, nothing will change in the land of scams.

I see these idiots drive thru red light at Maya and clog up the intersection. Why don't the cops simply walk up to them and give them a whopping ticket?  You gotta wonder <deleted> these guys are being taught at police school?

Edited by dufusdonald

Most accidents involve motorbikes

most don't wear helmets

most don't have rear lights

many don't have licenses

many are well underage

THESE NEED TO.BE ADDRESSED BY POLICE DOING THEIR JOB.

Also lets make all cars and pickups etc comply with the laws

no rear facing blue lights

no.use of fog lights when its not foggy

incorrectly set headlights

no rear lights

Address all these and accident rate will fall dramatically.

7 minutes ago, merlin2002 said:

Police asking for assistance, it should be the other way round. Waste of time anyway, the Thais only think about number 1, flock the rest...

I see that the story now has Thailand as No.2 in the world for deadliest roads. I guess they didn't like to admit to being No.1, quelle surprise... 

Maybe that's because they're quoting WHO (via wiki):  which still has Libya listed as number one:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

Whereas World Atlas shows Thailand as number one: https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-countries-with-the-most-car-accidents.html

This morning in our Moo Bahn, a black Fortuner who had just dropped his kid off at

the school in the Moo Bahn,still hungover from last night,crashed into two cars,entering

the Moo Bahn to drop kids off.nobody hurt,but if people drive while drunk with their

offspring in the car,what hope is there.

regards Worgeordie

50 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Statistically, the death toll during the Songkran holiday is lower than the daily average. So whilst the numbers get published at Songkran and everyone is awed at how high they are, they are lower than normal, presumably because of the extra enforcement.

Speeds are a bit lower because of the  vast number of cars etc on the roads so more fender benders probably but not so many high speed crashes.

Bike deaths probably, not sure, rise because of drinking/riding.

I disagree on this point also. Appealing for public cooperation is a viable  alternative to imposing the will of a nanny or police state.

Oh dear “nanny state “ excuse again! Hundreds of thousands dead every year and imposing and enforcing regs to prevent is “nanny state” pathetic argument

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 minutes ago, Dorian232 said:

Most accidents involve motorbikes

most don't wear helmets

most don't have rear lights

many don't have licenses

many are well underage

THESE NEED TO.BE ADDRESSED BY POLICE DOING THEIR JOB.

Also lets make all cars and pickups etc comply with the laws

no rear facing blue lights

no.use of fog lights when its not foggy

incorrectly set headlights

no rear lights

Address all these and accident rate will fall dramatically.

I never understood why the manufacturers, Honda and such, haven't installed some sort of warning or fail safe system to alert or prevent the rider when a tail light goes out, it would be simple enough to do. Sure, riders at night should start their bikes and then walk around to make sure the lights are working but clearly nobody bothers to do that.

1 minute ago, simoh1490 said:

I never understood why the manufacturers, Honda and such, haven't installed some sort of warning or fail safe system to alert or prevent the rider when a tail light goes out, it would be simple enough to do. Sure, riders at night should start their bikes and then walk around to make sure the lights are working but clearly nobody bothers to do that.

That sounds like a practical solution, although I'm sure pretty quickly someone would find a way around the fail-safe.

Safety is a word that has minimal interest here, unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, markaoffy said:

Oh dear “nanny state “ excuse again! Hundreds of thousands dead every year and imposing and enforcing regs to prevent is “nanny state” pathetic argument

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

There are two ends to the scale: countries such as the UK where the tendency to be nanny state is strong and Thailand, where the tendency is non-existent and even a slight move towards proactive law enforcement would take a lot of time and training to implement - case in point, the helmet law which has improved matters considerably but has taken over ten years to reach this point and still has further to go, it's the way Thai's do these things.

So for the police to suddenly perform their role in the same way it's performed in the West, would be a massive culture shift that nobody is really prepared for. In the first instance, the police are not sufficiently well trained or knowledgeable enough to enforce the law, in the second instance the culture here is not ready to accept such a shift from a police force who are seen to be mostly corrupt and inefficient, that's what I mean when I refer to a nanny state in the context of Thailand.

If those things are not true, why do the police not simply go out and start enforcing the law at all levels, everywhere....they don't because they can't plus the people wouldn't allow such a large scale shift in policing, at one time in short timescales.

1 hour ago, cardinalblue said:

Appealing to the public is a confession that the police have no control over driving behavior.....sad and tragic

Not at all!

"Police appeal for witnesses".

"Police ask people to reduce their speeds over the holidays".

"Police appeal for drink and drug free roads at Xmas".

https://www.warwickshire.police.uk/article/36257/Further-appeal-Drive-drink-and-drug-free---getting-the-message-across

If they would frghten them with servier penalties like loss of license, confisca their vehicals and big fines and plaster it on the TV and in the papers it would help. But they do not really care. Like in the western countries. If I go out in my car at night for a drink with the wife or friends I have no more than 1 drink and them I will have water. In New Zealand it is minimum fine of around $2,000 and 3-6 months driving ban.

3 hours ago, mercman24 said:

Beach Road  JOMTIEN last night 12-30 am, scooters roaring up and down the road with no front light, no rear lights , no helmets, and 5 cops sat in a <deleted> awning, oh i forgot the law only applies to Bangkok

Thai police are the smartest in the world because they have figured out that they get paid whether they work or not. So why work? No consequences at all for them if they don't, because no-one cares if they do or not.

9 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Appealing to the public is a confession that the police have no control over driving behavior.....sad and tragic

Appealing to the public for these guys is a whole lot easier than, as others have said repeatedly above, getting out and doing their <deleted> jobs.

They're great at doing the former, not to much at the latter.  And I see no sign of that changing any time soon.

3 nights ago the police checkpoint at asoke road, bkk was stopping taxis and trying to shakedown passengers but did not test drivers for intoxication.

it is said they need a suspicion to stop taxis and make the passengers get out and be searched.

suspicion of passengers having money.

what would happen if the passenger simply refused to get out or refused to allow search?

10 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Not at all!

"Police appeal for witnesses".

"Police ask people to reduce their speeds over the holidays".

"Police appeal for drink and drug free roads at Xmas".

https://www.warwickshire.police.uk/article/36257/Further-appeal-Drive-drink-and-drug-free---getting-the-message-across

Thailand and the UK are worlds apart in 'getting the message across'. The UK can remind road users of the dangers and consequences, based on the knowledge that all drivers have had training and proper testing.  Enforcement of the laws is strict. Here in LOS there is contempt for the law because there is a futile driving test (if taken), and little, if any awareness of the law, coupled with scant enforcement by the police.

What dramatically reduced drunk driving and its appalling consequences in the UK were swingeing laws imposing heavy fines and automatic bans for a year-plus on offenders, backed by highway patrols armed with breathalysers.

Thailand has the money and the means to achieve similar improvements, but apparently not the political will than do more than tinker with a problem which is rapidly spiralling out of control. 

If the junta wants to go down in history as anything more than just another pothole on the road to democracy, it should invoke Article 44 and launch an all-out New Year breathalyser blitz to knock Thailand off the top of the world road deaths league table.

4 hours ago, PatOngo said:

“The department has ordered 4,000 more electronic monitoring bracelets for this task. However, this measure won’t be ready to implement in this New Year period, as the order will arrive around the middle of next year,” he said.

Absolutely clueless!

Always next year!  And how will a bracelet know if they are drunk while driving... unless they have an intravenous tube....haha! I suppose they would just monitor motion for those banned from driving...But then how would the bracelet distinguish between driving or being driven?

4 hours ago, mercman24 said:

Beach Road  JOMTIEN last night 12-30 am, scooters roaring up and down the road with no front light, no rear lights , no helmets, and 5 cops sat in a <deleted> awning, oh i forgot the law only applies to Bangkok

yeah I could hear them too......so why did the BIB not do anything.....Oh!! I forgot that I had read that the POLICE ARE GOING TO BE KIND !!! over the holiday period ......

39 minutes ago, joebrown said:

Thailand and the UK are worlds apart in 'getting the message across'. The UK can remind road users of the dangers and consequences, based on the knowledge that all drivers have had training and proper testing.  Enforcement of the laws is strict. Here in LOS there is contempt for the law because there is a futile driving test (if taken), and little, if any awareness of the law, coupled with scant enforcement by the police.

there are suppose to be ONLY 240,000 coppers so how can such a small force enforce the laws.....

47 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Thai police are the smartest in the world because they have figured out that they get paid whether they work or not. So why work? No consequences at all for them if they don't, because no-one cares if they do or not.

they have also worked out how to fleece farangs to improve their puny wages....you forgot this point........

1 hour ago, shaurene said:

If they would frghten them with servier penalties like loss of license, confisca their vehicals and big fines and plaster it on the TV and in the papers it would help. But they do not really care. Like in the western countries. If I go out in my car at night for a drink with the wife or friends I have no more than 1 drink and them I will have water. In New Zealand it is minimum fine of around $2,000 and 3-6 months driving ban.

famous footballer Wayne Rooney (ex Manchester United)  got 2 year ban if I remember right....do not know what the fine was but it would have been quite big