Second Chiang Mai airport endorsed

webfact

Second Chiang Mai airport endorsed

By Thai PBS

Chaingmai_airport.jpg

The cabinet has given a go-ahead for the construction of the second Chiang Mai international airport, either in San Kamphaeng district of Chiang Mai or in Ban Thi district of Lamphun, said government spokesman Lt-Gen Sansern Kaewkamnerd on Wednesday(Dec 27).

Also, the cabinet, at its mobile meeting at the Physical Education Institute of Sukhothai College in sukhothai on Tuesday, endorsed the Transport Ministry’s proposal to expand the current passenger’s terminal at Chiang Mai airport so that it will be able to accommodate up to 20 million passengers a year from 10 million passengers as it is now.

The expanded terminal will also have the capacity to accommodate 34 flights per week from today’s 24 flights a week.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/second-chiang-mai-airport-endorsed/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-12-28

If you’ve been anywhere near the airport over the last few days, you may have noticed that there is a second car park—all the roads leading in to the airport, which have been gridlocked at times. 

CNX is literally in the city, as Chiang Rai airport once was. There is no room for expansion, it’s overcrowded and only one way in. It just gets worse every year. Also, consider the noise issue for departing aircraft, which is usually to the north where there are thousands of houses and condos and tens of thousands of people are affected, and it all starts when that first flight leaves at 6 am. I was recently visiting a friend all the way up at the convention centre and we had to pause talking when departing aircraft flew over. 

Sooner or later a decision has to be made to build a new airport. I hope it’s sooner, as it would take a decade to complete. Imagine if there was no Suvarnabhumi we were all still using Don Muang. 

Edited by bubba

3 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

They don't need a second airport, what they need is a  bigger parking lot.

The location of the current airport is ideal and it's been said many times before their is enough room for another runway and for very sizeable expansion of the terminal facilities. 

• Like 1

The expanded terminal will also have the capacity to accommodate 34 flights per week from today’s 24 flights a week.

Surely this is incorrect. Is it supposed to be flights per hour? 34 flights per day are not very many either.

Edited by Ulic
  • Like 2

First - I can not believe the articles contention that the present airport can on handle 24 flight a week?... :wacko:... maybe they meant a day...

Second - They should allow passenger vans to use the military road from Nimmanheiman Road...

Third - Partner with King Power and build a proper parking ramp - which there is plenty of space for

39 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

First - I can not believe the articles contention that the present airport can on handle 24 flight a week?... :wacko:... maybe they meant a day...

Second - They should allow passenger vans to use the military road from Nimmanheiman Road...

Third - Partner with King Power and build a proper parking ramp - which there is plenty of space for

Today there are about 112 arrivals scheduled, so if they all depart, a total of 224 movements for one day

Being high season and close to NYE these figures are higher than average.

Edited by happyas
  • Thanks 1

No doubt taxi concessions are pushing for this in a big way.  At least 1/2 hour just to get to town from either Banthi or San Kamphaeng, and then another 1/2 in traffic once past the ring road as if no one has noticed that traffic in CM is getting significantly more congested every year.  The airport they have is just fine, but as noted above they need to expand the parking and terminal facilities.  Another complete air port is somebody's idea of pork barrel spending.  Who benefits?

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

The location of the current airport is ideal and it's been said many times before their is enough room for another runway and for very sizeable expansion of the terminal facilities. 

Where would this second runway be located? ICAO guidelines require about 1000 m separation between the centre line of each runway for simultaneous takeoffs and landings. 

51 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

They already do allow passenger vans to use the military road. Anyone can use it.  You only need to get a permit from the base. There is one week each year when you can lodge an application for one, and that just closed for a 2018 permit a couple of weeks ago. 

17 minutes ago, happyas said:

Today there are about 112 arrivals scheduled, so if they all depart, a total of 224 movements for one day

Being high season and close to NYE these figures are higher than average.

What's the source of your 112 arrivals figure please?

I recently moved to Doi Saket and one of the reasons was to be clear of the noise from CNX flights.  I certainly hope San Kamphaeng is not the selection for the new airport as a North/South flight path could be directly overhead.   I quickly researched Suvarnabhumi Airport. Although I am sure a new Chiang Mai airport will be of a smaller scale, I found it took BKK 10 years from project start to completion. I guess that is some consolation.  I think Lamphun REALLY needs an airport. :)

58 minutes ago, iainiain101 said:

Article in the paper we cant copy on here seems to have more detail. They mention Saraphi as a possible location, and that the government already owns a lot of the land. Anyone know where that land is?

A much more informative article than the one posted here and it doesn't mention San Kamphaeng, which is good for me.  Thanks.

11 minutes ago, happyas said:

No, that article was about the proposed expansion of CM airport

They seem to have shelved that and now are going to build a new airport at another location, which will probably see the current airport being closed down in the future

Well, then connect the two airports with those subs of yours - will you please?

The problem is the immigration and the parking; both could be handled with easy - very easy. But if there is no will (i.e. no money to be lined in little brown envelopes) there is no way! 

24 minutes ago, sanemax said:

No, that article was about the proposed expansion of CM airport

They seem to have shelved that and now are going to build a new airport at another location, which will probably see the current airport being closed down in the future

Not no..Yes, from todays update OP

Also, the cabinet, at its mobile meeting at the Physical Education Institute of Sukhothai College in sukhothai on Tuesday, endorsed the Transport Ministry’s proposal to expand the current passenger’s terminal at Chiang Mai airport so that it will be able to accommodate up to 20 million passengers a year from 10 million passengers as it is now

1 hour ago, sfokevin said:

Most likely when they finalize the elevated train route that was approved a while ago... :coffee1:

HA!  I have a German produced map of Chiang Mai, showing the stations around the city.  A quick hop from Maya down to Thae Pae gate.

In the meantime, let's have some buses to utilise the shelters , then move on to elevated train routes!

Traffic is now banked up half of Huay Kaew Rd by 1pm or earlier.

Edited by masuk
typo

41 minutes ago, theslime said:

Doi Lo. plenty of room

Yes, but I believe he was referring to a second runway at the present airport. The only possibility would be to the west of the existing runway. To build a second runway there, hundreds of houses, condos and businesses would have to be removed, Serene Lake filled in and Canal Road relocated.