Poor Directions Being Given

Weho

I am amazed at how poorly some people give directions on these boards... not just Thais, but farangs too. I know everyone who posted earlier about the directions to a hospital in Sattahip (high prices topic at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital), meant well, but there is still no clear answer as to how many hospitals there are, which are open to the public, the names, and locations. And initials get thrown around, and you people assume that everyone is going to know what they mean. I appreciate ALL contributions greatly, as I'm confident everyone else does too...

But, remember in Thailand, giving directions is not always as simple as it might be in "Western" countries.

Here is an example of how I feel directions should be written, (to a ficticious place):

"Go out the front door, turn to your left, which is heading West, which is towards the beach. Continue down about 2 kilometers, which is about 4 minutes driving, where you see a 7-11 on your right side. Slowly continue straight, and go past the 7-11 about 150 meters, and TURN left on to the first small soi. Stay on that soi, as it curves around for about 6 minutes, until you see a large outdoor nursery/plant store, which will be on your right. Immediately after the plant store, at the intersection, you will see several streets that fork out. Don't go to the two heading left, don't go on the one heading a sharp right. Go on the one, in the middle, which is heading just slightly to the right. Stay on that soi for ONLY 10 meters. On your left, you will see an ESSO gas station. Turn into the first driveway, just PAST the gas station, also on the left side. You've found it!"

Here is an example of some BAD directions:

"You go toward Sattahip, and it's about 5 kilometers past the big intersection there, turn to the right, go down a little ways, make two left turns, past that government building there... Ask anyone, they will know, and they all speak English."

Really, it's that easy? I thought there were multiple hospitals in Sattahip... and what does a Thai ambulance look like? And what if all the ambulances are out "in the field", picking up dead drunk people, and motorbike crashes? So we don't need actual written directions for anything, we should just be on the lookout for what we are trying to find?

Great plan. Cheers back to you!

Do you know where Sattahip is mate? ok go there, look for a big building with ambulances outside it, it's called a hospital, when you see that you're there. ok? cheers. :D

Ease up Robski, I know where you're coming from but sometimes peoples directions are bluddy confusing, but you're right, a hospital shouldn't prove too difficult.

The problem with giving directions in Thailand is that there is no bluddy pubs to act as markers. In UK it is eay "go down the A30 and turn first right after the Coach & Horses, then follow that road 'till you get to the Moonrakers and make a left, keep going and you'll find the public library just past the Fox & Firkin". If you are passenger you could try persuading the driver to stop at each pub so you could confirm the directions :o .

Anyway if you think directions are confusing, try following a map drawn by a Thai. All roads are straight, all junctions are 90 degree tees or crosses and scale or proportion is nonexistant, ten millimeters could represent half a kilometer or fifty and often represents both, two locations, same map. I tried following a map supplied by one of our contractors with one of our Thai engineers with me. Even he gave up with the map and resorted to asking directions and even then it took several attempts complete with U turns.

So that's what we need In Thailand to aid navigation, Pubs! :D

Either that or GPS coordinates. :D

DISCLAIMER : Please note that this post in no way advocates or even suggests drinking and driving and people are urged to drink responsibly at all times.

Do you know where Sattahip is mate? ok go there, look for a big building with ambulances outside it, it's called a hospital, when you see that you're there. ok? cheers. :D

Ease up Robski, I know where you're coming from but sometimes peoples directions are bluddy confusing, but you're right, a hospital shouldn't prove too difficult.

The problem with giving directions in Thailand is that there is no bluddy pubs to act as markers. In UK it is eay "go down the A30 and turn first right after the Coach & Horses, then follow that road 'till you get to the Moonrakers and make a left, keep going and you'll find the public library just past the Fox & Firkin". If you are passenger you could try persuading the driver to stop at each pub so you could confirm the directions :o .

Anyway if you think directions are confusing, try following a map drawn by a Thai. All roads are straight, all junctions are 90 degree tees or crosses and scale or proportion is nonexistant, ten millimeters could represent half a kilometer or fifty and often represents both, two locations, same map. I tried following a map supplied by one of our contractors with one of our Thai engineers with me. Even he gave up with the map and resorted to asking directions and even then it took several attempts complete with U turns.

So that's what we need In Thailand to aid navigation, Pubs! :D

Either that or GPS coordinates. :D

DISCLAIMER : Please note that this post in no way advocates or even suggests drinking and driving and people are urged to drink responsibly at all times.

The Queen Sirikit is not the naval hospital the navy hospital entrance is next to the main gate of the naval base which is straight thru the intersection instead of following the road round towards Rayong go straight ahead on Sukhumvit and turn right before you end up in the tide

Edited by MP5

Here is an example of how I feel directions should be written, (to a ficticious place):

"Go out the front door, turn to your left, which is heading West, which is towards the beach. Continue down about 2 kilometers, which is about 4 minutes driving, where you see a 7-11 on your right side. Slowly continue straight, and go past the 7-11 about 150 meters, and TURN left on to the first small soi. Stay on that soi, as it curves around for about 6 minutes, until you see a large outdoor nursery/plant store, which will be on your right. Immediately after the plant store, at the intersection, you will see several streets that fork out. Don't go to the two heading left, don't go on the one heading a sharp right. Go on the one, in the middle, which is heading just slightly to the right. Stay on that soi for ONLY 10 meters. On your left, you will see an ESSO gas station. Turn into the first driveway, just PAST the gas station, also on the left side. You've found it!"

"as it curves around for about 6 minutes" The road curves for 6/60ths of a degree? That's not much of a bend.

Most people have difficulty in giving directions but why? Could it be that most of us drive on 'autopilot'? We have all driven home and cannot recollect passing fairly big landmarks. I can drive you from the nearest Central to my house without any problem but ask me to draw a map - that's a different story.

One thing to try in your home town - when you are driving, stop the car and ask a pedestrian "Where is Smith (or any fictitious name) Street?" If they don't know, give them 'directions' -"Turn round, walk down to the lights, cross the road etc" You will be surprised the number of people who will thank you and go towards 'Smith St'. I first saw that on Candid Camera years ago and have used (or abused) it on several occasions!

I believe "curves around" is reasonably clear... as in curving around, back and forth, curving to the left and right, curving back and forth, winding around, for a period of about six minutes...

Had I meant one single curve, I probably would have written something like: "as it curves to the left, in one long, slow, big curve, which should last about six minutes, at which time the road will become straight"...

Regardless, your point is well taken... all directions can probably be improved.

With direction, MORE is probably better than LESS.

I am amazed at how poorly some people give directions on these boards... not just Thais, but farangs too. I know everyone who posted earlier about the directions to a hospital in Sattahip (high prices topic at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital), meant well, but there is still no clear answer as to how many hospitals there are, which are open to the public, the names, and locations. And initials get thrown around, and you people assume that everyone is going to know what they mean. I appreciate ALL contributions greatly, as I'm confident everyone else does too...

But, remember in Thailand, giving directions is not always as simple as it might be in "Western" countries.

Here is an example of some BAD directions:

"You go toward Sattahip, and it's about 5 kilometers past the big intersection there, turn to the right, go down a little ways, make two left turns, past that government building there... Ask anyone, they will know, and they all speak English."

What is the point of this post? If you do not like the directions you are given then ask for clarification or ask someone else or look at a map.

Edited by scottie dog

What is the point of this post? If you do not like the directions you are given then ask for clarification or ask someone else or look at a map.

I guess the whole point of this, which you apparently missed, was that we can't rely on directions, cause people aren't being clear. And a map? In Thailand, a map? An accurate map? I guess you must have arrived recently.

I agree with the OP that directions are very often not very clear.

A comon direction could be:

"On Pattaya Klang turn left after Carrefour and then turn first right."

Now, where you end up will very much depend on wich direction you are going on Pattaya Klang, this information is often missing.

Weho if your really serious there are plenty of good maps. 7-11 have a pretty basic one but it's good enough to navigate by or get someone to pinpoint a location on, Bookazine have some better road maps, well if you look you will find them.

Now, you know where 7-11 is right?

I remain confused by this posting. You stated “I am amazed at how poorly some people give directions on these boards” yet you start your “perfect directions” with “Go out the front door, turn to your left, which is heading West,” How does someone giving directions to you on the net/forum know where your front door is?

First I asked why the posting and you have replied “was that WE can't rely on directions” Have you become Royal, posting on behalf of all or just yourself? You have also assumed that I am a newcomer to Thailand (for what reason I do not know) . I have being doing business in Thailand for at least 16 years. Do not assume (it makes :an ASS of yoU and ME)

I remain confused by this posting. You stated “I am amazed at how poorly some people give directions on these boards” yet you start your “perfect directions” with “Go out the front door, turn to your left, which is heading West,” How does someone giving directions to you on the net/forum know where your front door is?

First I asked why the posting and you have replied “was that WE can't rely on directions” Have you become Royal, posting on behalf of all or just yourself? You have also assumed that I am a newcomer to Thailand (for what reason I do not know) . I have being doing business in Thailand for at least 16 years. Do not assume (it makes :an ASS of yoU and ME)

I never claimed my directions were "perfect"; they were simply meant to be a sample of what BETTER directions MIGHT be, for MOST people. I wrote go out the "front door", presuming you understood, as I indicated, that it was a ficticious address, simply to be used as an example. I guess you didn't grasp that complicated concept. No, I don't presume myself to be ROYAL. I even acknowledged that my original directions could have been improved, thereby furthering the point that it is MY belief that directions should be LONGER that most would think, to make sure they are detailed enough for LESS INTELIGENT people to still be able to follow. I thought you had just arrived in Thailand recently, because your suggestion to get a map, especially on the topic of POOR DIRECTIONS was foolish, at best. And I regret that my admittedly poor attempt at humor, somehow still eluded you, when supposedly "presuming" you were a "newcomer". I have learned to NEVER assume anything, in part because there's a good chance to be wrong, but MOSTLY to not have to hear or read that tired, old and unfunny line about making an ass out of you and me.

Perhaps if the OP is not happy with the directions he is given from this board he should rely upon only directions given by thai locals and that should keep him occupied for long enough so he wont have time to make futile posts on this board. :o