Thai man gets 13,275 years jail for 5 billion baht Ponzi scheme - but will do only 20

rooster59

Thai man gets 13,275 years jail for 5 billion baht Ponzi scheme - but will do only 20

ponzie.JPG

Image: Daily News

A man who ripped off more than 1000 people to the tune of 5 billion baht has been sentenced to 13,275 years in jail.

This was based on prison time for each offence. But due to the fact that he helped in the investigation and there is a limit on jail time Phudis Kittitharadilok, 34, will only serve a maximum of 20 years.

The crimes were committed between August 2015 and September 2016 and involved conning investors organizing seminars in the name of two companies - The System Plug and Play Co Ltd and International Holding Co Ltd.

He has also been ordered to repay 1.3 billion baht. 

Yesterday the criminal court in Rachada Phisek read the detailed judgment against Phudis before he was taken back to Bangkok Special Prison to begin his two decades behind bars.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-12-29

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

The crimes were committed between August 2015 and September 2016

5 billion baht in 13 months? That's 384+ million baht a month! This guy had skills!

Too bad he did evil instead of good with them.

Scamming and cheating people of their money, probably also the elderly with their entire lives savings, deserves no mercy....the guy deserves to rot in jail !!...And let it serve as an example to other similar scum !....

I do not have the slightest ounce of admiration for such a criminal....

8 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Duh, why do you think he'll only do 20 years out of the 13,275 he was

given? just because he ' helped with the investigations"?....

He’s only doing 20 years as that is the maximum amount of time he can legally serve on the 2 charges he was convicted of, according the bbc article I read on this story. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-42518255

Edited by Bluespunk

doesn't make sense.  i calculate 5 billion to equal about 166 million dollars.   it says he conned 1000 investors.   that would equal 166,000 dollars per sucker?  i must be missing something. 

edit:  ok, never mind.  upon reading the article, it mentions 40,000 investors, which would work out to about 4000 dollars per sucker, which makes more sense. 

Edited by alfalfa19
just cuz

9 hours ago, jaywalker said:

5 billion baht in 13 months? That's 384+ million baht a month! This guy had skills!

Too bad he did evil instead of good with them.

If only Thailand went back to the "cash days" then this guy would have to stop cause otherwise he would sleep in the street with his house filled up with 1.000 baht notes.

Moving the cash on a daily basis, putting it in a pickup, securing it, driving it home, unloading it, would already take most of his day. And you cant hire Burmese to do that for you for 300 baht a day.

All i want to say is that the amount of money is almost unimaginable to me.

3 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

What about the other 3.7 billion baht he stole?

that was to pay the arrangement : " 20 year term , change of name , out in a week , plastic surgery not needed ( nobody would dare to touch a big-shot who is protected)

the rest of the money he can keep ( and he can earn some more if he wants, but this time he will not forget to share with the judges)

8 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Scamming and cheating people of their money, probably also the elderly with their entire lives savings, deserves no mercy....the guy deserves to rot in jail !!...And let it serve as an example to other similar scum !....

I do not have the slightest ounce of admiration for such a criminal....

Whereas I agree with you that the admiration is misplaced, I would also like to point out that the many sentences concurrent is something that looks interesting.
Moreover, and as a side observation, the sentencing, looking at some other cases that were recently in the news, indicates what has the higher value, a life or someone's wealth.

The court fined his two companies the equivalent of $20m each. Pudit and the firms were ordered to repay around $17m to the 2,653 identified victims, with 7.5% yearly interest.

- We have figures of 1,000,  and 40,000 and now 2,653 "victims". 

- Only $17m back to tthe victims?  But it is a bit of a bummer that the court takes fines of $40m, roughly 25% of the total amount stolen, surely this should be returned to the victims as well?

As usual in Thailand accuracy of statements issued by the authorities and reporting standards fall short, with the population just lapping it up and not questioning anything except what's to eat.