Numbing cold wave grips U.S., heralding a frigid New Year's Eve

rooster59

I wish the deniers would get off their high horse over this cold wave.   While it is happening, the SouthWestern US has had one of it's longest heat waves, with months of well-above normal day and day.   It's been running almost all year at 10 to 15 degrees above normal and now when it should be in the 50's and low 60's it remains well into the 70's and close to 80 (All Fahrenheit).   And precipitation well below normal.   

It's called weather.  It may indicate something, but denying the truth doesn't change it.   

15 hours ago, RickBradford said:

Most of these SJW types are so gaga that if you told them that evil CO2 was invented by evil Monsanto in order to make more money, they'd believe you.

And even the best-known of them, people like Naomi Oreskes and Christiana "Tinkerbell" Figueres, are clueless at what sort of actions might make sense, and instead just rant about bringing down capitalism.

As US House of Representatives Speaker Sam Rayburn put it: "‘A jackass can kick down a barn. But it takes a carpenter to build one.”

As per usual, fact free insults. No real content here.

16 hours ago, Credo said:

I wish the deniers would get off their high horse over this cold wave.   While it is happening, the SouthWestern US has had one of it's longest heat waves, with months of well-above normal day and day.   It's been running almost all year at 10 to 15 degrees above normal and now when it should be in the 50's and low 60's it remains well into the 70's and close to 80 (All Fahrenheit).   And precipitation well below normal.   

It's called weather.  It may indicate something, but denying the truth doesn't change it.   

While I believe it's just "weather", if the pros are correct and humans caused it, it's only well deserved payback for driving cars with engines way, way larger than actually needed for a century and wasting all the oil. No nation on the planet has wasted more resources than the USA. Despite all the evidence, The US continues to waste vast amounts of resources to fuel a throw away economy. Shame on them.

Gaia rules!

11 minutes ago, Skywalker69 said:

Me too!

right now +26.4 C

Seems ( fingers crossed ) that the cold snap has finished, and I've got the ranch slider open and shirt off, or I'd have to turn on the AC.

No sun though- too cloudy.

I spoke with an American at the NYE celebration last night and he was REALLY happy to be here and not in the US.

On 12/31/2017 at 10:28 AM, ilostmypassword said:

Well, thanks for putting words in SJW's mouths. Words which I haven't seen anywhere in reality. I guess since you've got nothing, it's time to make things up.

In fact, the point about methane and particulates have long been raised by climate scientists.

And the role of methane is repeatedly denied by global warming denialists.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/04/11/methane-the-irrelevant-greenhouse-gas/

And you see, I didn't even have to make it up. I used something called evidence.

Actually, what is most interesting about this rather shallow article is not the article itself, but the comments made on it (after getting past the first few non-scientific ones). They do explain WHY Methane and CO2 are still relevant (you have to take into account the entire depth of the atmosphere, not what happens at one particular point). It also explains why if you believe in Global Warming you need to take all the interactions and feedbacks into account. Hence why no computer model will ever get it completely right. Rather than rely just on models, just extrapolate from what has already happened - yes it's warming, yes it is something to be concerned about, but no need to panic - well unless you live on a Pacific atoll. 

No-one would have predicted 15 years ago how fast renewable power would expand, and it is interesting that in the developed west energy use has basically plateaued - and even China's emissions growth has slowed dramatically. Ironically, it is development that is pushing emissions growth - perhaps we shouldn't encourage all those developing countries to change so rapidly.

One effect of global warming may be a more mobile jetstream - it now frequently flows at more southerly latitudes in winter, sucking that arctic air with it. The USA seems to get this mainly - Europe gets far less snow than 30-40 years ago.

As this seems to have become yet another GW/CC debate, I'd like to say that whatever people believe I wish they'd ban cars from Chiang Mai, so it became a liveable city. It might not change the amount of CO2 entering the atmosphere much, but it would certainly make everyone's lives a whole lot better. Then they could stop handing out 5 disposable plastic bags with every supermarket visit, which might cut down on pollution as well.

The experts can debate all they like, but till something actually happens to improve people's lives it's all just extra hot air.

1 hour ago, rickudon said:

well unless you live on a Pacific atoll. 

No-one would have predicted 15 years ago how fast renewable power would expand, and it is interesting that in the developed west energy use has basically plateaued 

IMO the problems on Pacific atolls may have more to with what the people do than "rising sea levels". Seems that people are the major problem in the world. Reducing people numbers would help more than any amount of windmills.

IMO energy use has plateaued in the west because the populations have plateaued, not because people are using less. Hopefully the birth rate falls below replacement rate sooner than later.