driving license expired 3 months ago. is it still possible to renew?

sustanon

Considering that somewhere over 90,000 + drivers where fined for driving without a license over the 7 dangerous days of driving, it seems to me that you don't need one.  Just pay the 400 THB fine and you'll be able to drive though other checkpoints unimpeded by showing your paid citation.  When in Thailand.......

Just based on that sample size, how much do you want to wager that at least 10 percent of the population drives without licenses, and I bet that is a really, really conservative estimate.  For all the hot air we hear from various puuyais and pundits, I doubt they really care: it's a cash cow money maker. 

Edited by connda

1 minute ago, connda said:

Considering that somewhere over 90,000 + drivers where fined for driving without a license over the 7 dangerous days of driving, it seems to me that you don't need one.  Just pay the 400 THB fine and you'll be able to drive though other checkpoints unimpeded by showing your paid citation.  When in Thailand.......

Just based on that sample size, how much to you want to wager that at least 10 percent of the population drives without licenses, and I bet that is a really, really conservative estimate.  For all the hot air we hear from various puuyais and pundits, I doubt they really care: it's a cash cow money maker. 

So.....you advocate driving with a condition that will make your insurance null and void?

2 hours ago, connda said:

Just based on that sample size, how much do you want to wager that at least 10 percent of the population drives without licenses, and I bet that is a really, really conservative estimate.  For all the hot air we hear from various puuyais and pundits, I doubt they really care: it's a cash cow money maker. 

...same with no-helmet citation..stick it on your head and you can ride around with full protection of the law for the rest of the day..Ive seen people stopped a 2nd time, produce the citation and ride off into the glorious sunset.

2 hours ago, connda said:

In the hotel where my wife works only 5 from 40 staff have a licence so I think it’s more like only 10% have a licence.

34 minutes ago, wanderluster said:

why would you think that they would have insurance?

I'm sure the person that the poster connda was replying to would have insurance. He was advising them not to get a license, therefore voiding their policy (and wasting the money).

Rather stupid and irresponsible of him, I reckon. You too, if you agree with him.

Edited by KarenBravo

3 hours ago, connda said:

Considering that somewhere over 90,000 + drivers where fined for driving without a license over the 7 dangerous days of driving, it seems to me that you don't need one.  Just pay the 400 THB fine and you'll be able to drive though other checkpoints unimpeded by showing your paid citation

your write is all about prohibitive b.s.

3 hours ago, connda said:

A ludicrous statement.  Your insurance, if you have any, is invalidated and as the OP is most likely a farang, he will most likely have insurance.  Don't forget that most of the time when a farang has an accident they are in the wrong, even if they're not, so a valid insurance policy is probably a good idea.  Maybe it would be a better idea to offer sound advice to his question, rather than shoot off at an irrelevant tangent? 

I would, but I don't know the answer, as I have never let my licence expire. 

On 31/12/2017 at 11:54 AM, MINIMIGLIA said:

depends where you live ,Loei give you 90 days then have to start again, every district appear to have their own rules, just go ask your local one

Then Loei is breaking the regulations set down by the DLT, and if so then you can go to any other LTO and renew there

from the DLT website here are the rules 

IMG_1507.thumb.PNG.fe16b3344a5b3016c3c8a459b47eb162.PNG

1 hour ago, tandor said:

..same with no-helmet citation..stick it on your head and you can ride around with full protection of the law for the rest of the day..

And no protection for your head ... unless you think the citation stuck to your head will prevent your head bouncing off something even denser.

4 hours ago, connda said:

You are more than right in this, .

when my wife did her driving licence in Chiang Mai a couple of years ago there were +/_ 80 people in her class ! and they all came driving themselves by car or motorbike to the class !!! and that is prior to get there licence !!!! 2 of them drove previously all over Thailand for 20 years without licence !!!!!!

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

I'm sure the person that the poster connda was replying to would have insurance. He was advising them not to get a license, therefore voiding their policy (and wasting the money).

Rather stupid and irresponsible of him, I reckon. You too, if you agree with him.

Do some people need a licence to understand Sarcasm ????

4 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

And no protection for your head ... unless you think the citation stuck to your head will prevent your head bouncing off something even denser.

..apologies..i was being sarcastic and you missed it..but it is a fact.

11 hours ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

Dream on, maybe not the compulsory but anything else is invalid.

I think you're the one dreaming here.

First, as you already mention yourself, the compulsory insurance or PoRorBor will not be invalidated. Other insurances will depend on the policy, and there is far from a general rule here that policies are invalidated if the driver was not in possession of a license.

8 hours ago, stevenl said:

I think you're the one dreaming here.

First, as you already mention yourself, the compulsory insurance or PoRorBor will not be invalidated. Other insurances will depend on the policy, and there is far from a general rule here that policies are invalidated if the driver was not in possession of a license.

can you tell me which insurer will still pay a claim if the driver was unlicence.

Edited by Techno Viking

On 1/5/2018 at 3:54 AM, Techno Viking said:

can you tell me which insurer will still pay a claim if the driver was unlicence.

If it is not excluded the insurance company will pay, therefor looking forward to your policies where it is excluded. Much shorter list than the other way round.

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

If it is not excluded the insurance company will pay, therefor looking forward to your policies where it is excluded. Much shorter list than the other way round.

all my policies expressly stated no license = insurance voided (or words to that effect), iam wanting to see the ones (that you claim) will honour the policy if the driver was un-licenced.

57 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

all my policies expressly stated no license = insurance voided (or words to that effect), iam wanting to see the ones (that you claim) will honour the policy if the driver was un-licenced.

And those policies you mention are Thai policies?

As mentioned, PoRorBor will always pay, others will depend on the policy. Still waiting for your policies.

Edited by stevenl

8 hours ago, stevenl said:

And those policies you mention are Thai policies?

As mentioned, PoRorBor will always pay, others will depend on the policy. Still waiting for your policies.

Of course Thai policies.

Why waiting for my policies, you are the one making the claim, not me.

6 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

Of course Thai policies.

Why waiting for my policies, you are the one making the claim, not me.

You made the claim 'no DL, no cover', which is incorrect since PoRorBor will cover anyway. Now you can try to shift it to me, will not work.

Still looking forward to your quotes from your policies proving your point, but I don't think they will be forthcoming since your statements are not correct. As has already been proven by the PoRorBor.