Where to buy luggage?

deptrai

Just had a luggage zipper malfunction.  When I arrive in Chiang Mai later today, where can I purchase a new suitcase?  Staying at Le Meridien.  I plan to have it wrapped at KHH airport for the journey today.

Does CNX airport offer this wrapping service?  If so, I may be able to wait until I arrive back in Bangkok.

Thanks in advance 

Luggage is available just about everywhere from street markets to Mall pop up stores to higher end stuff at Central department store. You will find no shortage of luggage in Thailand....if you want quality and willing to pay for it...go to Central (either near airport or Festival). If you just want decent but inexpensive stuff...you can find just about anywhere...including in Central...but from small sellers scattered about the mall.

Last year I bought a bag for the cabin (one you pull) on Kathchasan Road.  That is the road that goes along the moat from Thaepae Road.  There is a shop not far past McDonalds that sells all sorts of luggage.  It was very cheap and very good quality.

22 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Or just buy local versions - it is amazing how much you can pack in such bags.  Used to always have a couple to carry goods back from Hat Yai to Bangkok.

famous-luxury-brand-features-new-bag-that-looks-awfully-like-asian-market-bags-world-of-buzz.png

I would like to see the look in the receptionists face if the OP checked in at Le Meridien with this baggage....

Actually I do avoid the 5 star places and was never primary bag but have checked into 3-4 star places and they knew enough to keep the laughter behind my back.  :smile:

Even well to do Thai indeed have such baggage on occasion to carry things they pick up on trips and it appears he would be buying after checking into hotel so perhaps only for trip home.

Edited by lopburi3

Thanks, all.  Upon closer inspection, one of the zippers is still fully intact.  The 2nd zipper came off the track on one side.  I think I'll just purchase one of the luggage straps I've seen today and call it good until I get home.  In Kaohsiung they charged me 300 NT to wrap it.  The reason it burst to begin with is because my wife overpacked it.  I travel quite a bit for business (over 2M miles to date) and haven't had this problem.  

FWIW, the subject bag is a 10+ year old 26" Samsonite hybrid (half soft sided/half hard sided) non-spinner.  

1st time in Chiang Mai and am not a fan of the Le Meridien.  

Quite surprised to see more non-Thais here than elsewhere in LOS.

Dave

You can find luggage sold in the Night Bazaar area, next to Le Meridien.  Certainly the colorful soft zipper bag pictured in the thread are available there.  Might be good to get one for "back-up" if the primary bag has further issues during the trip.