Traffic death toll jumps to 317

snoop1130

Traffic death toll jumps to 317

traffic.jpg

Death toll from traffic accidents during the past five days of the “Seven Dangerous Day” safety driving campaign climbed to 317 with 3,188 injuries.

On Monday (Jan 1), or the fifth day of the campaign to lower traffic accidents, 71 people were killed and 696 others injured in a total 677 cases in a single day.

Dr Opas Karnkawinpong, deputy permanent secretary of the Ministry of Public Health, said drink driving is the main cause of most fatal accidents or 47.27%, followed by speeding, 26%.

He said motorcycle is still the vehicle that engaged in most accidents, or 82.45% , followed by pickup truck (5.18%) while highways and roads with long straight sections recorded the highest fatal accidents (66.62%), and most accidents occurred between midnight to 4 am.

As of Jan 1, Udon Thani has the highest number of traffic accidents (114) and the highest number of injuries (118), while province with the highest number of deaths is Si Sa Ket (13).

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/traffic-death-toll-jumps-317/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-1-2

11 hours ago, chopin2 said:

The reason why the thais won't fix their traffic problem is because a farang told them what they are doing wrong.

Do not forget, the farangs are stupid peoples that think they know everything better than all the very good educated and instructed Thais!

317 / 5 days = 63.4 / day - Thailand has a chronic case of the (internal combustion) "motorbike disease". Electric motorbikes will not sell in Thailand. Why? They aren't capable of making loud, ear-splitting exhaust noise. But maybe they'll find a way (very doubtful).

Edited by MaxYakov

The Governments of thailand clearly know the causes of so many fatalities and accidents.

Yet for some reason, that I do not understand, they continue to allow these appalling figures to be published year on year without the slightest regret or concern for the wanton waste of life.

In many Countries ( if not most ) these people would not have a job of any responsibility and would be working the chicken factory gutting out 2000 birds an hour for 6 days a week.

Maybe thats what is needed in order that the law makers have some humility

So what will the total count be at the end of day seven? My guess is more

than 500, even though there will be a certain percentage that will die in

hospital, later that will not be added to this number. I am just happy that I

have been in Thailand many times and have not been in any serious accident

that has affected my health, or those around me. Good Luck to all who live and

those who visit Thailand during these 7 days and the rest of 2018. RIP to the

unfortunate people who have died.

Geezer