Video: "Conned again - a daily event in Thailand" - Big Joke take note

webfact

Video: "Conned again - a daily event in Thailand" - Big Joke take note

51955999.jpg

An irate Thai woman went online with a video to complain that a taxi driver had attempted to con her out of money with a fast moving meter.

Phenkhao reported that the woman said her normal journey was never over 200 baht - this time it was 269 and there was no traffic at all.

They published a picture with the words "Conned again - a daily event in Thailand".

The woman explained that she noticed the meter was moving too fast during the journey. At the end she confronts the driver of the cab who smiles and doesn't seem overly bothered.

She pays him just 200 baht and he drives off. The license plate is clearly visible though the woman said that the appearance of the driver and his picture in the cab did not match.

The woman - who called herself "Gu" - said that this was not the first time she had problems with taxis - a taxi driver had attempted to assault her before.

During the journey this latest driver had been angling to find out if she knew the route and thus the correct fare, she claimed.

She said she would call the number to make a complaint saying that she has called it more times than the number of her own mother.

But she alleged that the authorities never act on her calls using the expletive "water monitor" to express her frustration.

Yesterday tourism deputy commissioner Surachet Hakpal - referred to affectionately as Big Joke in the Thai media - said at Don Meuang airport that he intended to get tough with rogue taxi drivers.

He might like to look into the case of taxi number ทล (thor lor) 924 to see if anything is amiss.

Source: Phenkhao

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-04

Nothing unusual. I've often been in a taxi where the standstill part of the meter mounts up rapidly even though the taxi has kept on the move. They probably think you don't notice that part of the meter. And as for the photo not matching the driver, same again. But who cares? Nobody. A token driver or two is arrested every few months and that's it.

You know what would be awesome, a mobile app that uses GPS to accurately track your journey and tells you what the cost of your trip really amounts to, of course using the official rates the taximeter should be running on.

Feel free to run with it, programmer wizards out there :)

In 2012 some taxi driver tried to trick us. Going from Makkasan Airport Link to Asok-Din Daeng road. Just only 800m. First he didn't want to turn on the meter and he said it would be a 500 THB fare. I told him to turn on the meter, Normally I don't have to pay more than 40 THB. Just around the corner of Makkasan the meter already reached over 200 THB. At the place where I normally go, after 800m the meter said 650 THB. We got out and just gave the monkey 50 THB. He was offended and attacked us with a baseball bat. Everything was caught on camera, cctv of the building. The guy had 5 swings at me before he passed out and got a 9 month revalidation of all the things he broke himself... He charged me at the local police station and they took a look at the cctv. Haven't heard anything since.

Had several incidents with taxis about the same, trying to rip off a farang... Even had a gun on my head. The security of the building won't interfere any more when it involves me. They all know the one gets punished before he can pull a gun, what will keep him in a hospital for over a year and having revalidation over several years as the guy won't ever walk again....

That's the way to solve the taxi problem...

Edited by PAIBKK

12 minutes ago, PAIBKK said:

Had several incidents with taxis about the same, trying to rip off a farang... Even had a gun on my head. The security of the building won't interfere any more when it involves me. They all know the one gets punished before he can pull a gun, what will keep him in a hospital for over a year and having revalidation over several years as the guy won't ever walk again....

Could be your attitude, just a thought....

18 minutes ago, PAIBKK said:

My attitude is not about getting ripped off. Maybe yours is.

It seems to be a regular occurrence for you, run-ins with taxi drivers, followed by you wanting to put them in hospital after.  Hence my thinking, nothing to do with wanting to be ripped-off, I don't think anyone would want that :)

4 hours ago, Myran said:

You know what would be awesome, a mobile app that uses GPS to accurately track your journey and tells you what the cost of your trip really amounts to, of course using the official rates the taximeter should be running on.

Feel free to run with it, programmer wizards out there :)

Already coded that a while back. But there are many issues that are difficult to integrate, specifically the costs for not moving, and deciding when that is happening. But the app can produce a fair estimate that will tell you if you are getting seriously ripped off.

16 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Nothing unusual. I've often been in a taxi where the standstill part of the meter mounts up rapidly even though the taxi has kept on the move. They probably think you don't notice that part of the meter. And as for the photo not matching the driver, same again. But who cares? Nobody. A token driver or two is arrested every few months and that's it.

You did not mention the speed the taxi was travelling at when that part of the meter continued to climb.  Don't forget there should be a price list posted and it usually hangs down the back of a front seat.  That specifies that the price will continue to climb when the vehicle is travelling below a specific speed.  If I recall correctly that speed is under 6 km/h.

11 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

It seems to be a regular occurrence for you, run-ins with taxi drivers, followed by you wanting to put them in hospital after.  Hence my thinking, nothing to do with wanting to be ripped-off, I don't think anyone would want that :)

3 times in over 15 years, a regular occurrence. Sure..

2 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

You did not mention the speed the taxi was travelling at when that part of the meter continued to climb.  Don't forget there should be a price list posted and it usually hangs down the back of a front seat.  That specifies that the price will continue to climb when the vehicle is travelling below a specific speed.  If I recall correctly that speed is under 6 km/h.

We were travelling quickly on a major road out of the city to the airport. And that isn't the only time I've noticed it.

On 1/4/2018 at 10:53 AM, TVGerry said:

If they ever get him, it's probably just a 500 baht fine and MAYBE a couple of weeks suspension of his taxi license.

I can't wait for the day these idiots are run out of business and everyone goes Uber or Grab.

Well I can't wait for the police to enforce the law and the App Cabs to go out of business.

:whistling: "dixie":whistling:

On 1/4/2018 at 11:18 PM, PAIBKK said:

In 2012 some taxi driver tried to trick us. Going from Makkasan Airport Link to Asok-Din Daeng road. Just only 800m. First he didn't want to turn on the meter and he said it would be a 500 THB fare. I told him to turn on the meter, Normally I don't have to pay more than 40 THB. Just around the corner of Makkasan the meter already reached over 200 THB. At the place where I normally go, after 800m the meter said 650 THB. We got out and just gave the monkey 50 THB. He was offended and attacked us with a baseball bat. Everything was caught on camera, cctv of the building. The guy had 5 swings at me before he passed out and got a 9 month revalidation of all the things he broke himself... He charged me at the local police station and they took a look at the cctv. Haven't heard anything since.

Good for you, John Dillenger, but remember a 2 year old can pull a trigger.(and you probably committed suicide here if it happened)

Edited by hgma
not complete

39 minutes ago, hgma said:

Good for you, John Dillenger, but remember a 2 year old can pull a trigger.(and you probably committed suicide here if it happened)

Better disarm before one can pull a trigger !!!

BTW. I know how to disarm someone when he's inside my reach. Outside of my reach, I won't even try it !!!