Paypal Policy Update

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I foresee problems! Not unusual where PP is concerned. Will the brave person who accesses his US paypal account from a Thai IP address after June 4 please let us know whether the account gets frozen?
I have been accessing my PayPal account from within Thailand for many months now. The first time I did, they suspended my account as advertised. When I re-faxed my ID, I included a letter stating that I needed access to my account from inside Thailand and I've never had a problem since.

Based on this, I would say no problems, so long as you register a Thai bank on your PayPal account. The fact is that Thailand is black-listed by many different credit institutions globally. The first time many Australians use a credit card here it gets suspended too - and can only be reactivated by calling the bank home (mind you, you don't find out it's suspended until the next trip to the ATM when you *need* money). As Thailand represents such a serious fraud risk, it makes sense that PayPal would also suspend your account if accessed from here if there's no apparent reason for the activity.

I tried using a anonymous proxy but got locked out anyway...

Ahh, that explains why you received the "Your account has been permanently closed due to violations of our User Agreement." message.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to confirm it's official now - I just signed up for a new PayPal account using my Thai street address and everythign went smoothly.

Note that you must have a Thai Credit Card in order to add funds to your account, and you can only withdraw funds to a U.S. bank account.

Basically, if you don't have a Thai issued Credit Card, this means that you are limited to sending and receiving money within the PayPal system itself. Also note that the sending limit for unverified Thai PayPal accounts (unverified = no Credit Card added) is a measly USD $100.00.

The bottom line, if you have a Thai issued Credit Card you may have a way to buy all those things you want online, seeing as most internet vendors simply will not accept Thai issued credit cards. It just means you'll have to top-up your PayPal account first.

If you don't have a Thai issued Credit Card, or U.S. issued credit card, the only feasible advantage these new rules have for you is the fact that your existing PayPal account should no longer be blocked because you accessed your account from Thailand.

It's a far cry from a normal PayPal account, but at least there's some form of progress. Let's hope that enough Thai-based users sign up and the services get expanded sooner rather than later!

Just to confirm it's official now - I just signed up for a new PayPal account using my Thai street address and everythign went smoothly.

Note that you must have a Thai Credit Card in order to add funds to your account, and you can only withdraw funds to a U.S. bank account.

Basically, if you don't have a Thai issued Credit Card, this means that you are limited to sending and receiving money within the PayPal system itself. Also note that the sending limit for unverified Thai PayPal accounts (unverified = no Credit Card added) is a measly USD $100.00.

The bottom line, if you have a Thai issued Credit Card you may have a way to buy all those things you want online, seeing as most internet vendors simply will not accept Thai issued credit cards. It just means you'll have to top-up your PayPal account first.

If you don't have a Thai issued Credit Card, or U.S. issued credit card, the only feasible advantage these new rules have for you is the fact that your existing PayPal account should no longer be blocked because you accessed your account from Thailand.

It's a far cry from a normal PayPal account, but at least there's some form of progress. Let's hope that enough Thai-based users sign up and the services get expanded sooner rather than later!

The $100 limit is only temporary until you confirm the information that the request at which time it will revert to a full account. You can use a US credit Card or Thai Credit Card to put money into your PayPal account but must use a stateside Bank to make a withdrawal.

The same as everyone. When signing up go slow and read every little part that they point to. :o

The fact is that Thailand is black-listed by many different credit institutions globally

I'm a little surprised at this as in reality when I was trading on the Net, the main credit card fraudsters were from

1. Israel

2. CIS.

3 USA

We NEVER had a good credit card from Israel or the CIS in 5 years trading!

About two years ago, Paypal let me sign up for an account by jumping through many hoops, and sending them all sorts of documents. It was approved while in Malaysia. I signed in, and they axed me, since Malaysia was a restricted country. All I wanted to do is buy my mother a gift. To ###### with them.

I've also been through the hoop with them

About 15 months ago I opened an account using my Mum's UK address, my UK bank account and card which sends statements to her address etc etc. Got restricted for logging in from Thailand, then finally the closed without apppeal notice - all that due to logging in through PayPal.COM - i.e. US site (they didn't have a .co.uk at the time).

Opened a new account this year at PayPal.co.uk and apart from faxing extra ID and a letter from the bank showing Mum's address everything is fine ........... EXCEPT ........... I can't verify the account as my only card has its details locked into the closed account (thus once I've withdrawn 1,500 GBP to my bank, I can neither send money nor withdraw it) and they refuse to transfer the card to the new account, so I have to wait until the bank issues me with a new card and hopefully a new card number so I can reregister it.

I log in and out of PayPal daily from here via csLoxinfo dial up account and they've never restricted me because of it - everytime I get one of them warning emails about unauthorised access attempt (whether genuine or not) I forward it to [email protected] who kindly tell me it's a fake - every time.

Think I'll try to get them to unlock that old account again by sending them the link to their new conditions of service.

Wish me luck

Folks, it beats me why (once again) all the hoopla about Paypal. It sucks from the word go, it is listed as Spyware and any decent Forum subscriber should never, ever consider having an account with PayPal. Mind my words.

Cheers.........kandt :o

About two years ago, Paypal let me sign up for an account by jumping through many hoops, and sending them all sorts of documents. It was approved while in Malaysia. I signed in, and they axed me, since Malaysia was a restricted country. All I wanted to do is buy my mother a gift. To ###### with them.

It is an arrogant crap company. I have found ways to deal without them. My european VISA card was up to now always good. Even with Thai IP.

Paypay exhibits the typical blinkered attitude of Americans.

If it is outside the USA "it ain't no good!!"

I wish Paypal would contact the Immigration here and let them know that I am a resident............ I don't think the Immigration dept will agree.

My billing address may be Thailand, but my card is issued in the UK and my bank is there as well. Over the last 3 years Paypal have cheerfully been ripping me off for validation fees, to check my credit card details. In fact they have been chasing me to do so when the card expired and now they have the cheek to say I cannot continue to do business..

What a load of a...h..es

I'm living in Thailand, but as far as PayPal is concerned, I'm living in the US and am currently in thailand on extended business. I faxed a few documents to them. And I can use my US PayPal account from my Thai IP address no problem whatsoever. If you don't have an address in the country you fled from (where your PayPal account is) then just ask a friend if you can borrow his.

I withdraw PayPal funds to US bank account and then use ATM card to get the money here.

The first time I tried to use my PayPal account from a Thai ISP, PayPal froze my PayPal account -- containing over US$5000 at the time -- for two long months. In the end I finally got access to my account but it was a real nightmare experience. I have since used PayPal to buy things on the Net from my Thai ISP. The trouble seems to be buying things, particularly auctioning on eBay, they seem to have an innate bias against anyone based in Thailand trying to auction anything on eBay.

Just a warning. Buying seems fine, selling a potential madcap ride ...

:o June 6 2004

I have just successfully registered an account with Paypal. This was something I had been attempting for quiet a while.

My situation: I am a Dutch citizen, living and working in Thailand (12 years) and I have had a Visa Card (Thai Military Bank) for about 7 years.

Needless to say that I am pleased as punch (finally !)

Thanks to the thaivisa site; I joined, I read and I succeeded: Keep up the good work !

Cheers'

Jaap G. Klasema

Flamingo Hotel***

Pattaya

Topprofile, I'll just stick to something else...

http://www.nopaypal.com/

Is this url still valid? It does not open.

Castelleone

Yeah, shame that it's been taken down. Here's the guy that seems to have registered the domain:

Domain name: nopaypal.com

Administrative Contact:

Paypal Sucks

No Paypal ([email protected])

+1.5208883100

Fax: +1.5208883100

3705 North Runway Drive

Tucson, AZ 85705

US

I was just about to send him an e-mail to find out why, when I checked the website for his e-mail domain, which does seem to work:

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

I have had a Thai credit card with the Thai Farmer's Bank (now known as Kasikorn) and never had any difficulty using in it the UK or over the internet with purchases from the US. In fact my credit card from Barclays Bank in the UK is a proverbial pain in the rear end as both the bank and the Visa division have continuously cocked up the card over a period of the past 2 years, each blaming the other for the mistakes made and neither accepting responsibility or offering anything in the way of customer service, let alone satisfaction.

I had no difficulty setting up a Thai PayPal account today. However, when I tried to add my Siam Commercial Bank visa card, I got a message saying that Paypal does not accept Visa cards issued by foreign banks. Since the lead-off article on this thread says that you "need" a Thai credit card to open a PayPal account, I called PayPal. The initial respondent was unsure why my Visa card was rejected. He transferred me to another clerk, who was unable to state whether any Thai-bank-issued Visa cards would be accepted, but agreed that the PayPal security system must contain such a list (but which would be off-limits, except for PayPal security jocks). Bottom line--he agreed to pass my concern along to more enlightened clerks, who "might" contact me for more information.

I would be interested in knowing whether any forum members have successfully added a Thai-bank-issued Visa card to their Thai (opened post-June 4th) PayPal account.

And around and around we go.

Guest fj2003

if you get sucked by a bitch

you know how to do it

and you know what will be the price before she starts :o

to take a stab in the dark, you visa card is a visa debit and not credit..  With thai banks, the visa debits that they issue can not be used for online purchases  :o

No, my Visa card is a regular Siam Commercial Bank visa card with a 100,000 baht credit line.

I received a response from PayPal this morning by e-mail, saying they are investigating the matter, and that my card might be accepted shortly, or within a couple months. Perhaps their publicity is ahead of their security programming.

As for the PayPal haters, let me say that PayPal has had to struggle against the vested interests of the banking industry. I used PayPal regularly while I lived in the United States without difficulty. I'd rather deal with PayPal any day as opposed to Chase Manhattan Bank or American Express (both of which, like PayPal, are not charities).

Once you learn PayPal's fees structure and limitations of operation etc, it is actually a very useful system - to put it most simply, once I got PayPal sorted out for use with eBid & eBay, my sales increased ten-fold each month - with that increase I can live with their fees as I just adjust prices to cover them

My gripe is, and always has been, the sheer lack of interpretive thinking power displayed by their customer support, and an over-reliance on automated responses that throw customers into catch-22 loops.

have to disagree, I have another friend that sold a piece of computer equipment whist studying and broke. Someone had purchased it with stolen CC details, obviously he sent them the hardware as he was oblivious to this. Not only did he loose the hardware, but paypal took the money off him that he had recived for this, so he ended up double out of pocket.

I just cant see the point in dealing with them myself. Surely the daft amount that they charge you for each and every transaction should cover things like this.

Just opened an account the other day when it became leagle to do so in Thailand and this morning logged in to add the security code they sent to my bank account, which was to enable expanded services. This is what I saw once logged in:

This account has been permanently locked with a $0.00 USD balance. All information associated with this account has been blocked from the PayPal system and cannot be registered with another account.

God know why but I guess they do not want my business and I will not beg them. What are the alternatives? I need a quick one to put on the michelonia.com web site.