Suggestions about business class to Europe?

oldhippy

14 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Singapore Airlines have a good reputation.

I always enjoy these airline threads. Nobody ever mentions how an airline is regarded for their safety record.  You couldn’t pay me to fly on SQ, Eva, Etihad and a few others. Regardless how good or cheap their service / fees are.

IMHO you can’t get wrong with Emirates A380. Great service and awesome lounges in Dubai.

i enjoy Turkish for the food and the lounge in Istanbul is top .

i used to fly Finnair a lot because they were true cheaper . Good A 340 butvyhe food is not great.

All jave flat beds. 

AAvoid Thai by all means and don’t go for a low cost you will be very disappointed .

whatever you pick up, enjoy. Thay’s A lovely idea .

8 hours ago, ncc1701d said:

I always enjoy these airline threads. Nobody ever mentions how an airline is regarded for their safety record.  You couldn’t pay me to fly on SQ, Eva, Etihad and a few others. Regardless how good or cheap their service / fees are.

And you never mentioned why you would not fly on say SQ, or Etihad. I have used both and had no issues.

Is their safety record worse than alternatives, than say BA who declared an Emergency  the other day. If you give comments like this, you should expand.

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

And you never mentioned why you would not fly on say SQ, or Etihad. I have used both and had no issues.

Is their safety record worse than alternatives, than say BA who declared an Emergency  the other day. If you give comments like this, you should expand.

a google search of Singapore airlines safety record / wiki and you will see. 

Trying to take off out of Taiwan on a closed taxiway full of machinery is one of the worst that comes to mind. Fire on arrival into sin and they didn’t do an emergency evacuation. Their reply was “but The emergency services are so good because they are from Singapore that we knew we didn’t have to”. They came in to land in India - not just the wrong runway - but the wrong airport! (See attached) There are plenty of others.

the same search for Eva will show an even worse record.

emirates - enough incidents to cause me not to fly on them either. Recently that cross wind landing video showed they had no idea what they were doing. My sources tell me they have been let go from EK (but that’s not confirmed)

Not to mention their recent near disaster going into JFK which doesn’t get publicized. (I’ll try and attach a screen shot) for those not too sure of what they are looking at - that’s an A380 at 117 feet still about 6 miles out from the runway still to complete a 90 degree turn. Depending on what atc approved them to do - they should have been at least 1,000 feet if not 1,800 feet. 

Aircraft declare emergencies for a host of different reasons. Anything from something is on fire to a sick passenger.

FB2EB537-6627-4FE8-B5FA-F3B07FF5471B.jpeg

5429FD42-024D-4E5D-96E3-7953F1FFEC68.jpeg

17 hours ago, ncc1701d said:

we all choose, you choose not to use 3 of the best airlines, you told who not to use, but no recommendations for who to choose. 

edit - of the 3 you mentioned only Singapore have had an accident  since 2010 and that had no fatalities.

Edited by steve187

Flown business on Thai , Emirates and Ba. Thai service was great as was food but the seats were not total flatbed and not great size. Emirates was flatbed but the cabin was packed ,service was just ok and for some reason at night it was like a freezer in the cabin. Ba was the comfiest service was good and food was not to bad . Obviously depending on how you book and how early etc you can save I fortune. I waited one day more before booking the Ba flight and it went up in price and never went down again . Cost me an extra 25000 bht !!!

Eva is seemingly very good and have a friend who uses it few times a year from London to BKK return and he says its great.

2 hours ago, steve187 said:

we all choose, you choose not to use 3 of the best airlines, you told who not to use, but no recommendations for who to choose. 

edit - of the 3 you mentioned only Singapore have had an accident  since 2010 and that had no fatalities.

It’s not just about fatalities for me. Please see my follow up post with some examples. It’s just my preference. You guys can choose what you want.

cathay, Qantas, ba are the ones I have needed to use in the past and wouldn’t hesitate to use again. Qatar has a good safety record. I haven’t had to research destinations that these airlines don’t go.

BA are getting a few mentions and positive ones at that.

Surprising... I think their service is poor. Also an old 777 isn't the most comfortable equipment. Timings aren't great to arrive at LHR and fly onward domestic. There was a review blog I saw recently that also slated their Biz Class. I actually think of  punctuality more than safety record, except say like Malaysian and their well publicised incidents.  I would never in my wildest dream think of SQ as unsafe Thai maybe but only because I have seen how Thais are on roads!

Not sure if they fly to your destination, but I flew business on Japan Air JAL and because they have no first class the business was excellent with great food.....like lobster and smoked salmon if that is your thing. Downside Osaka has no showers, bit of a drag. If you can fly Emirates absolutely wonderful lounges with great food.

On 1/7/2018 at 6:29 AM, jacko45k said:

I would never in my wildest dream think of SQ as unsafe Thai maybe but only because I have seen how Thais are on roads!

I just gave 3 examples of why SQ aren’t, but you chose to ignore them. I find it odd. In aviation terms, these aren’t one offs, but a series of serious safety issues. At least they themselves recognise the problem and have a heavy Crew on all their long haul flights (2 captains, 2 first officers)

but each to their own.

as for the Thai driver comment... again odd. Bangkok Airways has an good safety record and I would fly with them. 

Edited by ncc1701d