Video: Gran, 72, on motorcycle thought it was safe to go through a red light....

webfact

Video: Gran, 72, on motorcycle thought it was safe to go through a red light....

4pm.jpg

Picture: Thai News Agency

CCTV footage from Songkhla broadcast on national TV showed a 72 year old grandmother going through a red light at an intersection.

Grannie "Jerm" is hit full on by a car and thrown into the central reservation.

TNA reported that other people waiting at the intersection in Naja district had implored her not to cross - but she was adamant that the road was clear and it was safe to go through the red light.

She lived but only just - she has multiple injuries and is recovering in Naja hospital.

The car subsequently hit a kilometer marker.

TNA wrote in their report that out in the country may not have as many cars as the cities but following the law was still important. People should look left and right and wear helmets, they said.

The presenter on the MCOT show made most of the fact that the woman was 72 and still riding a motorcycle.

Source: Thai News Agency

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-05

The driver of the white car already moves to the right 20 meters before the intersection because he clearly sees the old women puttering along. He absolutely couldn't be bothered to apply his brakes and chose to drive over the old women instead,

Sure the old lady was in the wrong but likely did not have all her faculties, The driver of the white car had lots of time to slow down to avoid the accident.

The old lady is guilty of a traffic infraction, but the driver of the car should be up on serious charges reflecting the gross inhumanity of the act.

5 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

The driver of the white car already moves to the right 20 meters before the intersection because he clearly sees the old women puttering along. He absolutely couldn't be bothered to apply his brakes and chose drive over the old women instead,

Sure the old lady was in the wrong but likely did not have all her faculties, The driver of the white car had lots of time to slow down to avoid the accident.

The old lady is guilty of a traffic infraction, but the driver of the car should be up on serious charges reflecting the gross inhumanity of the act.

If the driver had kept to their original line they would have passed behind the motorcycle, but they lacked the ability to calculate that.

Or perhaps it was unthinkable for them that they should defer, pass behind, and allow the peasant motorcyclist to take their space?

Either way the result was that they were, in fact, aiming for the motorcyclist.

2 hours ago, colinneil said:

This is typical of the driving here.

I move over for no-one, i slow for no-one.

Yes lady on bike was wrong, but it was made worse by the car drivers pathetic driving.

Exactly right they will not alter course or slow down 

I've noticed the only thing that will stop them is when they actually hit you - they just don't seem to worry 

Maybe because Budah will protect them & they have insurance (Do they realize it goes up when making a claim - I'd doubt it )

The light is green for me & it's my right of way

Happens even when it isn't their right of way as well - Like when a Motorbike with side car is half blocking their lane, they will simply go around it at the same speed & expect you to be driving on the shoulder (don't know what I am going to do if a bike is directly on my left - that's if I notice him )

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

Yes lady on bike was wrong, but it was made worse by the car drivers pathetic driving.

In defense of the driver of the car: if you drive defensively here in Thailand you can better stay at home because you wont be able to get anywhere.

Most people drive like idiots so you cannot leave enough space between cars to safely break, you cannot break early when you see someone approaching as they might stop last moment and by swirving around you can hit someone else going against traffic, you cannot stick to the speed limits as that will make you the one dangerously slowing down everyone else... etc.

They probably figured the idiot on the bike would stop last minute, but the person did not.

Too bad for the granny, but its her own mistake.

Makes me wonder how she ever got so old with this type of behavior.

5 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

In defense of the driver of the car: if you drive defensively here in Thailand you can better stay at home because you wont be able to get anywhere.

Most people drive like idiots so you cannot leave enough space between cars to safely break, you cannot break early when you see someone approaching as they might stop last moment and by swirving around you can hit someone else going against traffic, you cannot stick to the speed limits as that will make you the one dangerously slowing down everyone else... etc.

They probably figured the idiot on the bike would stop last minute, but the person did not.

Too bad for the granny, but its her own mistake.

Makes me wonder how she ever got so old with this type of behavior.

Break?   huh?    You will break your car if you don't brake!!

16 minutes ago, masuk said:

Most people drive like idiots

Just remembered something that I avoided due to the above

Sitting to turn right on a perfect 4 lane rd (couldn;t get better & barely any traffic )

So whilst sitting there waiting for a passing truck I kept an eye on the rear vision mirror. To my horror I was observing a pickup doing a 100 kms gaining ground with no hint of even changing into the left lane. That only happened when I decided to make the right turn into the empty oncoming traffic lane (couldn't go all the way as truck was just passing ).

Wife panicked & thought I was going for it, that's when I told her about the idiot that would of ploughed straight through us at 100 ks maybe wiping out the both of us & our young son.

Im sure the security guards at the Resort gate seen it as well

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Grannie "Jerm" is hit full on by a car and thrown into the central reservation.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

People should look left and right and wear helmets, they said.

Go, Granny, Go! It was a red light. What has helmets and looking left and right to do with that????

4 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

The driver of the white car already moves to the right 20 meters before the intersection because he clearly sees the old women puttering along. He absolutely couldn't be bothered to apply his brakes and chose to drive over the old women instead,

You need to watch the video again.

the driver of the white car in lane 3 had just overtaken a white heavy truck in lane 2 that would have obscured his view of the lady, from the dip of the front end of the car he braked heavily, his options were to swerve in front of the HGV he had just passed while breaking hard and probably be hit from behind or to try and pass in front of the motorcycle and he had a maximum of about 2 seconds to decide.

6 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

The car driver could not see the dear ole lady on the motorbike as he has too many amulets dangling in front of his eyes.

050118_153741.jpg

Once had the experience, waiting for red light to turn right. Not a crowded place happily. My light turned green and started to make right turn. Out of the blue a guy crossed the section diagonally and was in front of me when light was green.

Breaked and luckily collision was avoided by me, just a meter in front of me. My heartbeat was  about 300 , the guy just went on as nothing happened. 

Last year experienced a light in the middle of a big ("highway road") , wondering why it was there. It didnt make any sense to me. It was red and for me it means stop. Other cars passing me then and honking, they knew it was a "fake" light? After quick consideration, i thought it would be better to pass the red light, as the many cars did. Crazy situations sometimes  in Thailand.

Sometimes you are allowed to turn left with red light. otherwise they put up a sign telling you you get a fine by turning on red light. SOmetimes you have to look for a little box which is a light for you to turn and only lits when you can turn.

ANd even then you have to take care as many Thai ignore lights red or green.  

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

So basically you would have done exactly the same as the driver of the white car. Driving which you describe as pathetic. Hmmm!

8 minutes ago, glasswort said:

So basically you would have done exactly the same as the driver of the white car. Driving which you describe as pathetic. Hmmm!

Yes your comment is pathetic, you my comment wrong.i was speaking about the driver of the white car.

6 hours ago, Enoon said:

If the driver had kept to their original line they would have passed behind the motorcycle, but they lacked the ability to calculate that.

Or perhaps it was unthinkable for them that they should defer, pass behind, and allow the peasant motorcyclist to take their space?

Either way the result was that they were, in fact, aiming for the motorcyclist.

They're not taught how to use the brake let alone what it does,!!

7 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

The video does not show the car moving to the right at all.

How do you know that he clearly saw the woman in time?

How do you know that he "absolutely couldn't be bothered to brake and deliberately hit the woman?

The video was clearly in slow motion so the whole incident was over in about one second giving the driver no time at all.

"Gross humanity of the act", my armhole.

33 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

The video does not show the car moving to the right at all.

How do you know that he clearly saw the woman in time?

How do you know that he "absolutely couldn't be bothered to brake and deliberately hit the woman?

The video was clearly in slow motion so the whole incident was over in about one second giving the driver no time at all.

"Gross humanity of the act", my armhole.

The car moves to the right so far that he has to turn sharply left just to get back on the road after he collided with grandma. If you watch he begins his move to the right at about the time he begins to overtake the white truck.

If the video has been slowed down, they do not mention it. By the speed with which granny gets launched I would say that this clip is either actual speed or only slightly slowed.  The car has about 5 seconds clear view of the motorcycle before impact. Even if you halve that it's 2.5 seconds. If you can't find your brake pedal in 2 seconds while approaching an intersection, you shouldn't be on the road. There wasn't even any braking after the impact, but the driver was able to correct the car and get back to his lane. Something that also indicates this was real time.

42 minutes ago, ToddinChonburi said:

The more videos you watch the more you see no breaks.  They do not hit the breaks. I never see skid marks.you think that after contact they would stop.  This is just crazy

It’s brakes. With ABS you will not see skid marks as this would have been a panic response and ABS would most likely engaged allowing the driver to maintain control. It is just human nature to keep your eye on the bad thing and steer towards it. That’s why so many drunk drivers rear end police cars on the side of the road conducting traffic stops. The pretty flashing lights are an attraction. 

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

The old lay had been prob watching every one else go through red lights and thought hey if they can i can to  Shame she got hit Reactions bit slower than normal I was always taught when going through driving lessons Red is for stop Green is for go Is it different here in Thailand  Red is for go and green is for stop Pardon my arrogance

10 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Question.

Did you have ever seen the reaction times when they take the break reaction test when get or renew the drivers license of the Thai?

Even the once of the people on the age 19 to 22 years when it is at the optimum.

Explains a lot when you see the footage.

13 hours ago, colinneil said:

Yep.  The driver could have avoided this accident.  It looks like the white car had just passed a truck on the right and had probably speeded up.  And while passing the truck he would have had trouble seeing the lady starting to cross the street.  Then the drive did not want to steer to the left and move back into the lane where the truck was behind him.  Bad timing and confluence of events.  But still, slowing down or skidding to a stop didn't seem to happen much

I don't see what many see regarding the white car seeing the scooter grannie and

being too lazy to break. It just looks like a scooter going through a red light and

getting hit but a car. Obey the lights and no accident. End of story. Drivers here

in Thailand pass into oncoming traffic around curves and over hills with regularity.

They merge into main roads turning left without slowing or checking for oncoming

traffic and run red light all as a matter of course. All Thai drivers count on the other

driver giving way even when the other car has the right of way. Occasionally the

other driver does not see them and does not have time to react. Result accident.

Archived