Opening a bank account

Any advice on which bank I should open an account with? My Thai wife (lives Roi Et) uses K-Bank and likes it. I will be opening an account soon and wondering if Bangkok Bank or TMB might be better. I just need a simple savings account that allows me to handle day-to-day cash management (using a Visa Debit card). I would be using TransferWise to fund the account as needed. 

I am happy with Bangkok Bank, but in your situation location of branches relative to where you live should be a factor. Then visit each to see if you can communicate with them.

I have one of the old style savings accounts, with a passbook of all things. They have also supplied me with credit cards. I must admit I am likely happier as they strive for foreign customers here in the Pattaya area and English well spoken.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wirat69 said:

Citibank on Asoke Sukhumvit corner, opposite Terminal 21, or at World Trade Centre provides better service than Kasikorn.....

Citibank has no branches in Roi Et.

Im with Kasikorn since 1991 when it was still named Farmersbank. Perfect service in every branche were I was a client.

Bangkok bank is the most popular with expats in Roi Et, especially UK and US citizens, due to the fact they have branches in the UK and US and English speaking staff.

I agree with jacko45k though, you should choose a bank relative to your location in Roi Et.

53 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The visa card  is still available at Bangkok Bank but you have  to push them on it and wait for it to be sent from Bangkok.

I paid for the extra accident insurance with the Siriraj Rabbit Visa Card and got a card straight away

I have Bangkok Bank and K-Bank. Personally i would recommend K-Bank. Don't really use the Bangkok Bank account anymore. I have found the in branch services in many different random locations and telephone customer services  to be very good at K-Bank

** i remember in the past seeming to think that Bangkok Bank was holding money that i transferred from overseas for quite a long time compared to K-Bank, not sure if that was actually the case or is the case now though

Edited by Happy enough

I agree with ubonjoe that Kasikorn would probably be your best bet given that your wife already has an account with them.

However, I really do hope, for your sake, that they have now tightened up their lax security procedures since my (now former) account with them was relieved of 20,000 THB in 2009 as a result of the actions of a fraudster who cloned my card for use at an ATM hundreds of miles away from where I live. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, sikishrory said:

I would avoid bkk bank based on the fact they switched from visa to union pay with their debit cards. Basically a useless card. I would go with kasikorn. 

Union Pay is just their default card now. You can still get a Visa card - you have to order it and while it officially takes 7 days to arrive expect to wait 2-3 weeks. 

Has anyone any comments about SCB ?. I enquired about on line banking and they said no as I am not employed. Being of an ancient vintage and with sufficient funds deposited it surprised me. Has anyone else had the same problem?

I use SCB for my every day and never had a problem, K bank is good but rarely use,  Bangkok bank which hold my visa funds so rarely used, and Krungthai but only opened recently so cant comment.  In my experience its not so much the bank but the branch...1 for convenience of location and 2 the branch managers level of competence in his staff dealing with farang.   Some branches just dont seem to want farang customers and will give you the absolute run around (rather than be honest with you} while another branch of the same bank will welcome you with open arms.

Recently I opened an account with Krungthai.  I wanted a joint a/c with wife, 1 ATM debit card, and online banking.  They said I could have an a/c in my name only , and card but no online banking.  I politely said no problems I would try another bank but at the same time produced a copy of an online bank statement showing the funds I wanted to transfer to their bank.  Then the situation changed.

You see these people on the front desk are only following rules and procedures often printed in a handbook they consult but you must press them.  Especially if we are taking about more than the average monthly Thai salary in an account.  When I produced the statement of funds I just quietly said to her should she not check with the manager first?  One quick phone call and she gave me all that I wanted (well not all coz my wife was with me lol).

On 1/5/2018 at 7:14 AM, ubonjoe said:

K-Bank would be a good choice since you wife already has an account there. That would make it easier to open an account since your wife could act as your reference to do it.

Agree with Ubon Joe, Kasikorn Bank (K-bank) seem to be quite good for foreigners. Furthermore the benefits with your wife already being client there, you could be eligible for K-bank's insurances – they are normally not to happy to sell them to foreigners – which is some cases are quite competitive.

However, if you're US citizen and transfer funds from US, Bangkok Bank should be considered, as they have a US-branch and transfers from US to Thailand are charged as domestic transfer.

PS: For info, I personally use both Bangkok Bank, K-bank and SCB.

3 hours ago, PJPom said:

Has anyone any comments about SCB ?. I enquired about on line banking and they said no as I am not employed. Being of an ancient vintage and with sufficient funds deposited it surprised me. Has anyone else had the same problem?

I use SCB and their on-line bank. I stay in Thailand on extension based on retirement. I just opened the web-page SCBEasy, and clicked on "Online registration for New User" over the login-box, and that's it; however you have to make sure that the bank's registration of your date, for example passport number and address, is up to date accordingly with the date you type...:smile:

36 minutes ago, Master Jairam said:

Thank you. I have no proof of payment so how to handle tax filing. Please advise.

36 minutes ago, Master Jairam said:

Because all my business payments will be in cash.

You employer is required to deduct the taxes from your salary and give you proof of that.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

You employer is required to deduct the taxes from your salary and give you proof of that.

Can you give me a sense of how complicated the tax filing process is. The last date for doing so in the US is April 15 and in India it is July 31 of every year. Do foreign workers file tax returns in Thailand? My employer wont give me a payslip, Ubonjoe, all deals in cash. What should I do? Just leave it as it is. Do immigration at any time in life ask to see tax returns? Please help.

4 minutes ago, Master Jairam said:

Do foreign workers file tax returns in Thailand?

Yes they do. The must be filed by March 31st.

5 minutes ago, Master Jairam said:

Do immigration at any time in life ask to see tax returns?

Yes they want proof tax payments when applying for a one year extension. There is also a minimum salary requirement.

I paid for the extra accident insurance with the Siriraj Rabbit Visa Card and got a card straight away
But now the Siriraj Rabbit card with insurance is Union Pay and practically useless as you can't use online for eBay, amazon, flights etc just as an ATM card for 599 baht per annum.
I asked just yesterday for a Visa and was told that Bangkok Bank (CM) hopes to bring them back soon as everybody is complaining.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I use both Kasikorn and Bangkok Bank, no problem with either. The OP might consider basing his choice on which is closest.

Although I have a Kasikorn debit card, I use it infrequently. It's a bit cheeky when they charge for an ATM withdrawal when it's their own ATM.

The passbook savings account for cash withdrawal can't be beaten for insurance against fraud.