Opening a bank account

1 minute ago, Tanoshi said:

There is no charge for ATM withdrawals unless your withdrawing out of Province.

True. So how is it less cheeky? I mean, in Australia the big four banks have given up on ATM fees entirely, and the last time I looked at a map, Australia was a fair bit larger than Thailand.

Just now, Lacessit said:

True. So how is it less cheeky? I mean, in Australia the big four banks have given up on ATM fees entirely, and the last time I looked at a map, Australia was a fair bit larger than Thailand.

In Australia they have Kangaroos, will you next complain Thailand doesn't!

Thailand's Provinces are similar to autonomous regions. They are self governing and self financed providing services for the local population.

If you open a bank account in Bangkok, they move to a different Province you'll incur a small charge for ATM withdrawals.

The answer is to transfer your account to a local branch in your Province.

Cheeky or lazy?

Just now, Tanoshi said:

In Australia they have Kangaroos, will you next complain Thailand doesn't!

Thailand's Provinces are similar to autonomous regions. They are self governing and self financed providing services for the local population.

If you open a bank account in Bangkok, they move to a different Province you'll incur a small charge for ATM withdrawals.

The answer is to transfer your account to a local branch in your Province.

Cheeky or lazy?

There will soon be only one ATM in every Australian town. Because cash transactions are falling off a cliff, due to everyone using Paywave smart cards.

I haven't seen any evidence bank computers in Thailand are any different to those in Australia. In other words, it's a rip-off you seem to be comfortable with.

My bank account is in Chiang Mai. If I use an ATM in Chiang Rai, a mere 180 km away, I get slugged. If you think that's OK, let me suggest I know where your head is located.

Or perhaps you are one of these people that like archaic systems. If so, there are some guys back in the eighteenth century who would welcome you into their fold.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

What is cheeky is you blaming Kasikorn for something that all banks do.

" Although I have a Kasikorn debit card, I use it infrequently. It's a bit cheeky when they charge for an ATM withdrawal when it's their own ATM. "

Edited by stevenl

Just now, stevenl said:

What is cheeky is you blaming Kasikorn for something that all banks do.

Ah, another person who likes being ripped off. I didn't realise Thai Visa hosted so many masochists.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Ah, another person who likes being ripped off. I didn't realise Thai Visa hosted so many masochists.

Naw, just someone who doesn't like it when another poster blames just one institution for something that is the same branche wide.

2 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Naw, just someone who doesn't like it when another poster blames just one institution for something that is the same branche wide.

Gee, I'm so sorry I've ruffled your feathers by pointing out a banking anachronism.

• Sad 1

I think the point is that this is Thailand and things work differently here. We effectively have no say but just have to live with things the way they are. If a small charge is a major problem just carry more cash. I do.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I remember reading about this months ago. Went back to Australia for a holiday last month and got slugged every time I used an ATM with no exceptions.

Was using an AUD card from a overseas bank. I don't know if that had something to do with it or not. Although when you look into it the bank has banks in Australia as well just branded under different names.

17 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You can't compare an apple with an orange...

10 hours ago, sikishrory said:

I remember reading about this months ago. Went back to Australia for a holiday last month and got slugged every time I used an ATM with no exceptions.

Was using an AUD card from a overseas bank. I don't know if that had something to do with it or not. Although when you look into it the bank has banks in Australia as well just branded under different names.

If you are using an Australian card, there are no fees. I can't speak for cards issued outside Australia, just as I know a foreign card will get slugged in Thailand.

20 hours ago, rott said:

I think the point is that this is Thailand and things work differently here. We effectively have no say but just have to live with things the way they are. If a small charge is a major problem just carry more cash. I do.

As I do also. However, I do not understand why it's a hanging offence to question the status quo.

On 1/6/2018 at 8:47 AM, sikishrory said:

I would avoid bkk bank based on the fact they switched from visa to union pay with their debit cards. Basically a useless card. I would go with kasikorn. 

If you are going to have a direct deposit account for USA SS account BKK bank is your only choice

I think that is a bit inaccurate, you were perceived as singling ou Kasikorn for a practice that all banks operate. And being offensive to people who went along with it. People who have no say in the matter.

I have never had a card in the 20 years I've been here. All the horror stories I heard when I first arrived put me off and I just never bothered. Very occasionally it is a pain but nothing drastic.

Tmb and bkk bank cards are not good for online payments. So u cant even pay flights...

Kasikorn is good and Krung Thai

I think SCB too but never used.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, rott said:

I think that is a bit inaccurate, you were perceived as singling ou Kasikorn for a practice that all banks operate. And being offensive to people who went along with it. People who have no say in the matter.

I have never had a card in the 20 years I've been here. All the horror stories I heard when I first arrived put me off and I just never bothered. Very occasionally it is a pain but nothing drastic.

I think you'll find if you go back through the posts I responded in kind to people who were offensive to me first. Be that as it may, questioning the status quo and benchmarking is the way progress is made. Without that, we'd still be living in caves.

The visa card  is still available at Bangkok Bank but you have  to push them on it and wait for it to be sent from Bangkok.

To update the attitude of Bangkok Bank. I managed to get a Visa card about a fortnight ago but forgot the pin so it was retained. I returned to my branch and the attitude had hardened, only Union Pay available. I had a good rapport with the girls too but they could not give me the visa.
I am at Immigration today so tried at the branch there, similarly intransigent. I have had to open an account at KrungThai Bank. So will be closing the Bangkok Bank account. On principle I will transfer my 800,000 baht fixed account when it matures later.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

9 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

To update the attitude of Bangkok Bank. I managed to get a Visa card about a fortnight ago but forgot the pin so it was retained. I returned to my branch and the attitude had hardened, only Union Pay available. I had a good rapport with the girls too but they could not give me the visa.
I am at Immigration today so tried at the branch there, similarly intransigent. I have had to open an account at KrungThai Bank. So will be closing the Bangkok Bank account. On principle I will transfer my 800,000 baht fixed account when it matures later.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The branch cannot issue you a new Visa debit card there and then, it has to be ordered from the Head Office.

They can only issue a Union Pac debit card as that's all they stock.