retirement visa application in Samut Prakan?

I have all documents for a retirement visa as listed on this website. http://www.samutprakanimmigration.go.th/list-of-documents-for-retirement-visa/

Has anyone actually used this location to obtain a retirement visa? The income affidavit I got at the US embassy has the address of the Central Immigration office at 123 Chaeng Watthana Rd, near the old airport on it, would that require that I go to that office, or would /should the affidavit be accepted at the Samut Prakan location?  I guess I can just go over there and try to find out but other experiences with Thai bureaucrats have been very discouraging....

On a related issue, we have had horrible roadblocks trying to get my wife's thai ID issued. While we successfully had her added to her sisters house registration book, the official at the district office in Pak Nam (next door to the immigration bureau above) told my wife that that she cannot have dual thai-american citizenship, she was  even toldshe could loose her american social security if she were given a Thai ID card.... I am dumbfounded at that statement and am at a loss to find any remedy.  I have requested advice in an email to the US embassy,  asked if they could communicate to the district office on our behalf regarding the misinformation .... waiting on a reply. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

16 minutes ago, yooper said:

The income affidavit I got at the US embassy has the address of the Central Immigration office at 123 Chaeng Watthana Rd, near the old airport on it,

Your income affidavit with that address on it will be accepted at all immigration offices.

If you live in Samut Prakan that is where you will have to apply for your extension.

The district office is just talking rubbish. It is really not their business or concern that she has a US passport. It would of been best if your wife had not even mentioned it to them.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Your income affidavit with that address on it will be accepted at all immigration offices.

If you live in Samut Prakan that is where you will have to apply for your extension.

The district office is just talking rubbish. It is really not their business or concern that she has a US passport. It would of been best if your wife had not even mentioned it to them.

she didn't mention it to them, the info was included in the stack of documents we brought in from the central records office where my wife was added to the house registration... the woman bureaucrat didn't even look thu the remaining documents once she read the explanation of why the identity verification had taken place.

I know it is rubbish but what do we do about it??? My wife cannot get her Thai passport without it and when telling them that the ID card was refused they just shrug it off. We are prepared to get a retirement visa for my wife too but greatly prefer getting her rights restored.

My  sister in law lives in Samut Prakan and so do we, we're into our 2nd month of a 6 month lease. I've also opened 2 bank accounts and have the funding requirement in addition to the income, but the baht account with atm access was just opened this week.  I certainly hope you are correct about that immigration office... did you actually go there?  At his point I've been given all kinds of info that just does not pan out where the rubber meets the road. If all fails I guess we will be off to the the beach in Malasia for a few days next month.

Make sure you have plenty of photocopies of everything, even then they make you go outside and copy the receipts, pointless. Ticket at the door turn right. They like copies of the bank book a few months back and updated on the day. Can be good and quick or slow and awkward, up to them!

• 3 weeks later...

Final chapter:

Since I was applying for a retirement visa we decided to blow off the ID card fiasco and get one for my wife as well. We went to the immigration office right next door to the district office that denied her ID card. The Thai immigration folks that we spoke with were wonderful.

The only unexpected glitch was that we had to go upstairs and get a copy of our residence/address report (or whatever it's called) from the police office but our landlord had failed to report us. We were given the form for the landlord to fill out, we took it back and had it filled out that evening and went back to immigration the next morning. There was a 1,000 baht fine for the landlord which we paid so we could end the process... maybe we will get a credit on this month's rent.

While our visa paperwork was being filled out by the immigration officer we had a chance  to chat with them about the ID card issue, showed them the taiban copy and other paperwork we had, they agreed that and ID card should be issued but had no remedy. They did say my wife could apply at any district office in Samut Prakan so we may apply in Bang Phli or Bang Bo sometime down the road, they also said first she should report her old ID card ( used to get her original Thai passport in 1974 ) to the police as lost. 

We may or may not get the ID and new Thai passport. I have to report after 3 months anyway so wife can do likewise, we will only stay here for 6 or 7 months/year  ... and the 10 year retirement visa is good for longer than we are likely to continue coming here every winter. Once we liquidate our rural property in Michigan and find a comfortable, serviced location in town, we will be able to enjoy northern Michigan winters again.  I just have no desire at 71 yrs old to shovel snow and chip ice any more ... wouldn't be able to at some point in time.