Thai General Election Likely Sooner Than Planned

george

Thai general election likely sooner than planned, PM predicts

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's new constitution draft may be completed sooner than its planned six-month timetable, and the long anticipated new general election may be held earlier than originally planned, Thai Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont assured a senior Japanese cabinet member on Wednesday.

The prime minister remarked on this issue when meeting Japan's Senior Vice-Minister for Foreign Affairs Takeshi Iwaya who is visiting Bangkok to participate in a cultural festival celebrating the 120th anniversary of Japan-Thailand diplomatic relations to be held later this month, according to government spokesman Yongyuth Mayalarp.

Mr. Yongyuth disclosed that Gen. Surayud told Mr. Iwaya about the progress of drafting the charter in which he expressed confidence it will be completed within six months as scheduled or it may be complete within four months, two months earlier than first anticipated.

Upon completion of the constitution writing process, the government will speed up the electoral process, so that the general election will be held at the possible shortest time.

On seizing power in a bloodless coup toppling the administration of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra on September 19 last year, the coup-makers installed the Surayud-led interim government and pledged the earliest possible general election, most likely before the end of this year, to return sovereignty to the people.

The Japanese minister commented on Thailand's move regarding amendments to the Foreign Business Act, and told the Thai premier that his government wanted Thailand to keep its investment atmosphere attractive to investors, Mr. Yongyuth said.

Gen. Surayud is scheduled to visit Japan in April, he said.

--TNA 2007-01-17

Well thats some promising news. A bit of pressure does amazing things.

I think the generals are finding politics to be a headache and want out ASAP.

You are right that they are not doing well,

but.........

If you look back through modern Thai history you will notice that the army does not usually give up power as easy as that.

The army are constantly meddling in politics, and don't expect this to be the last time.

No matter what the generals and Sorayud say or do, some people would never stop.

Exactly.

This is great news, by the way. I'm excited. But hmmm come to think of it, at the end, the same old corrupt politicians will come back to power. And nothing will ever change...

The recent volatility in the Thai stock market seems to be the first seizmic rumble indicating that the outside world is liable to become more risk averse with respect to Thailand, though thus far the currency seems to be blissfully isolated from the effects of the coup. I therefore welcome a return to a democratically elected government a.s.a.p as I dread to think what might happen if the event we can't discuss comes to pass whilst the military are still in charge.

Thought I read a report that Basil Fawlty was heard

whispering (loudly) "Dont mention the war !" before

he was bundled out of the room.

:o

Do he mean the war when LOS wasn't invaded by their good friends, then ruled by them for 3-4 years, with many citizens killed by being used as slave-labour, before those terrible farangs came to the rescue ?

Surely not. :D

Edited by Ricardo

I can picture the scene now.

Several million isaan villagers not knowing who to vote for because the village elder hasn't handed out the 200 baht incentive and instruction kit . . . . .

A thought worthy of the "urban intellectual elite", which is as much a contradiction in terms as "military intelligence".... Obviously if you are clever enough to use clever puns like "toxin", you are far smarter than anyone living outside the city limits.

The rural poor are poor, but they are far from stupid. I've been through a good few elections in the countryside and they yes take the silly TRT jacket and the cash from the opposite party and then then go ahead and vote for who they thought might finally deliver on all of those empty promises to help improve roads, healthcare, and give them an opportunity to make a living.

Silly them, they voted in a government which delivered at least some of that and in return they supported that government. What idiots. Why weren't they dancing in the streets when the tanks rolled in? And look how much better things are now.

Can't trust those Isan people.

Thought I read a report that Basil Fawlty was heard

whispering (loudly) "Dont mention the war !" before

he was bundled out of the room.

:o

Do he mean the war when LOS wasn't invaded by their good friends, then ruled by them for 3-4 years, with many citizens killed by being used as slave-labour, before those terrible farangs came to the rescue ?

Surely not. :D

...or the other group that has quietly been doing pretty much the same thing - though more stealthfully - since about the time those guys ran away from their railway.

"Thailand has never been colonized...Thailand has never been colonized..Thailand has never been colonized.."

There. Just keep saying that enough times and no one will ever question things. :D

Ahh but there is a difference between general elections and fair en free elections. Till now media coverage is one sided and besides the truth. It looks that Abbhisit is the mouth piece of the junta. Not that it is surprising of course his deputy leader Suthep must protect the 80% in (D)TAC whichh the Norwegian government holds. With the TRT als a banned party, they are indeed in a hurry to hold elections, elections under a crippled and dishonest constitution. Holding elections too soon may see the forming of an new party in which nasty competitors for power like Chavalit will emerge.

In the end the junta will still hold the power. How did Sonthi and Sondhi call it? They always used the Nazi party example, so I suppose that is what they have in mind.,

As if the last election was free and fair.

Isan villageers vote for those who deliver (deliver bottles of fish sauce and sacks of rice). They've been voting for the same local pooyais and their kin since forever, the difference was they knew under which party banner pooyais ran last time. If that name isn't on the "party list" anymore, what are they gonna do? As always, ask pooyai.

Several million isaan villagers not knowing who to vote for because the village elder hasn't handed out the 200 baht incentive and instruction kit . . . . .

A thought worthy of the "urban intellectual elite", which is as much a contradiction in terms as "military intelligence".... Obviously if you are clever enough to use clever puns like "toxin", you are far smarter than anyone living outside the city limits.

The rural poor are poor, but they are far from stupid. I've been through a good few elections in the countryside and they yes take the silly TRT jacket and the cash from the opposite party and then then go ahead and vote for who they thought might finally deliver on all of those empty promises to help improve roads, healthcare, and give them an opportunity to make a living.

Silly them, they voted in a government which delivered at least some of that and in return they supported that government. What idiots. Why weren't they dancing in the streets when the tanks rolled in? And look how much better things are now.

Who they decide will actually deliver is usually decided in conjunction with advice from village headmen etc who of course have no pecuniary interest in advising a certain way.

An opportunity to make a living is indeed a good idea. Sadly to date since the 60s when access to credit became more available to farmers we have seen a constant increase in indebtedness, and a level of indebtdness that has been increasingly unsustainable as time has gone on. To date the level of indebtedness peaked under the previous administration who further increased access to credit reulting in a large increase in rural spending on consumer goods. Even today we see farmers again rallying for debt forgiveness, and the current government will probably not do anything different from previous ones.

Sadly this state of affairs is likely to continue until farmers enjoy some true representation from themselves rather than the pure paternalistic representation they have "enjoyed" to date.

In the end the junta will still hold the power.

Yes, this is something that we should get used to for many more years. Thailand's version of the US's Home Security (ISOC) is in place, and the new constitution will facilitate control. None of this is surprising. It is important for the current powers to ensure that another government, similar to the previous, does not again get elected. As long as the military is able to maintain power to influence the macro direction of the country, they will have no qualms about staying in the background and letting others get involved in the day to day running of the country.

In the end the junta will still hold the power.

Yes, this is something that we should get used to for many more years. Thailand's version of the US's Home Security (ISOC) is in place, and the new constitution will facilitate control. None of this is surprising. It is important for the current powers to ensure that another government, similar to the previous, does not again get elected. As long as the military is able to maintain power to influence the macro direction of the country, they will have no qualms about staying in the background and letting others get involved in the day to day running of the country.

An astute analysis. I would guess you have been here for some time.

Nice to see a voice of reason on here today. I really hate all people knocking the Isaan folk, along with all those holier than thou posts with statements like, "my wife is a Bangkok professional" etc.

Became trendy to slag off the last lot, and yes they pulled a few strokes, but, really not trendy to say it, they did provide and deliver on some of their promises which is a rare event in Thailand. He also cleared their debt to the International Monetary Fund and made Thailand stand on its own two feet. They also didn't wipe 800 billion Baht off the stock market in one day.

Whatever happend with Shincorp and AIS, it was only worth 73 billion because they made it worth that much. If it had stayed in Government hands, it would never have been the force it became and have been worth exactly (according to latest estimates) bugger all.

Many Isaan people were very supportive and certainly more politically aware than the elitists (semi) itellectuals in Bangkok gave them credit for. It is also the fun centre of Thailand with the friendliest people in Thailand... Quit knocking it.

How dare they vote for somebody whose face doesn't fit in Bangkok.

Edited by Dupont

The scary thing is, there is a big chunk of truth between those lines.