Condo Rents Dropping?

Rockjockey

9 hours ago, jerry921 said:

hipflat is saying current asking prices in VT 7 are 79.1kB per square meter. 100kB is closer to the price hipflat gives for Wong Amat Tower (97.1kB/m2). Are you in VT7?

Read post #180. Yes, vt7, the unit was next to me with great views. Sold at full listing price. You can buy low floor units for 55k per sqm,maybe less. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2018 at 11:06 AM, newnative said:

That's pretty much my formula, too.  Always, always seaview in a good location.  All my condo sales have been seaview units.  You start with that and then I try to make my unit the best in the building, with good design featuring great furniture and art, often with some custom pieces of both, which can be done in Thailand and still stay on budget.  Then, you get it listed with as many agents as you can and when they show the condo it is always neat as a pin--no dirty dishes, no messy bathroom, and, most importantly, no surprised, sleeping, half-naked farang in bed.  None of this is rocket science. 

I would have thought you would be looking for sea view that doesn't get the afternoon sun - rules out a lot of condos - although I accept winter renters from Malmo or Murmansk would likely demand it. [NON Pro :)] Tip: take a compass to see if the main windo faces North - you are looking for window North and no outside walls getting sun.

55 minutes ago, mokwit said:

I would have thought you would be looking for sea view that doesn't get the afternoon sun - rules out a lot of condos - although I accept winter renters from Malmo or Murmansk would likely demand it. [NON Pro :)] Tip: take a compass to see if the main windo faces North - you are looking for window North and no outside walls getting sun.

In Jomtien we call it "Pattaya side" of building.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Most of the condos have faced primarily south or north with the seaview off to the right or left.  We've had several corner condos facing directly west with side windows facing north and the afternoon sun made the west facing rooms much hotter than those facing north.  Can't remember any buyers saying anything about the afternoon sun--they just wanted a seaview.  But, I'm with you and prefer a northern seaview since we live here year-round.

54 minutes ago, newnative said:

Most of the condos have faced primarily south or north with the seaview off to the right or left.

As you say, "most", so not all. :wink:

My apartment in Center Condo is facing North-West and - IMHO - it's nearly the ideal orientation :smile:. The Sun touches windows only in the late afternoon and mainly in May-June, and balconies are really facing the sea/bay.

seaview-nw.jpg.e3f8eae5a270739ba047e9550e7b712e.jpg

Funny how every person who enters in my condo for the first time has the same reaction: Right to the balcony to sea the view! :tongue: . So I can only agree the a good seaview (not a "you must lean over the balcony to see the sea") is very important and give value to your apartment. (and allows a more expensive rent, and surely easier to rent)

BTW, posts above talk about afternoon-sun, but the low morning-sun can be atrocious too. Many apartments facing NorthEast to SouthEast often have to put aircon on as early as 9AM! 

About "Condo Rents Dropping?" I think that rents have globally slightly lower on Pattaya, but IMHO mainly in recent condos that had really expensive rents in their first years. I didn't notice any change in rent-price of old well-established condos.

1 hour ago, Pattaya46 said:

About "Condo Rents Dropping?" I think that rents have globally slightly lower on Pattaya, but IMHO mainly in recent condos that had really expensive rents in their first years. I didn't notice any change in rent-price of old well-established condos.

So what you're saying is that the price of condo rents is normalizing after an over-priced period? The more over-priced it was, the bigger the drop. This is exactly true of an apartment I rented back in 2006, that has dropped 40% since then. At the time I considered 25k fair, but now it's 15k. It dropped slowly over the years.                                                                                       

I believe a lot of the "devaluation" of rentals has to do with the difficulty of finding long-term renters now compared to 10 years ago. Back those days back-to-back tourist visas were easy to obtain. They used to give out double and even triple entry tourist visas like candy at many consulates. People could just do border hops every month without limit too.

Edited by tropo

20 minutes ago, tropo said:

So what you're saying is that the price of condo rents is normalizing after an over-priced period? The more over-priced it was, the bigger the drop. This is exactly true of an apartment I rented back in 2006, that has dropped 40% since then. At the time I considered 25k fair, but now it's 15k. It dropped slowly over the years.                                                                                       

I believe a lot of the "devaluation" of rentals has to do with the difficulty of finding long-term renters now compared to 10 years ago. Back those days back-to-back tourist visas were easy to obtain. They used to give out double and even triple entry tourist visas like candy at many consulates. People could just do border hops every month without limit too.

I think you are right on about lack of long termers in apt/condo.

In fact I know several guys that bounce around from hotel to hotel.  Usually renting for a month or two, then moving on.  They just don't want to be locked into something. 

Another thing is the deposit for a long term.  My experience with falang is about a 50/50 that they will get their deposit back.

Rents have dropped even now during high season.  As far as comparing this place to the world, I was in the Los Angeles area before here.  I was paying 5 times what I am paying here and had no ocean view.  It is a big reason I don't complain much about Pattaya/Thailand.  Why?

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I think you are right on about lack of long termers in apt/condo.

In fact I know several guys that bounce around from hotel to hotel.  Usually renting for a month or two, then moving on.  They just don't want to be locked into something. 

Another thing is the deposit for a long term.  My experience with falang is about a 50/50 that they will get their deposit back.

Rents have dropped even now during high season.  As far as comparing this place to the world, I was in the Los Angeles area before here.  I was paying 5 times what I am paying here and had no ocean view.  It is a big reason I don't complain much about Pattaya/Thailand.  Why?

How much are you paying here - to get an idea of what you are paying in LA? Apart from the lack of sea views in LA, how do the apartment sizes and amenities compare? 

13 minutes ago, tropo said:

How much are you paying here - to get an idea of what you are paying in LA? Apart from the lack of sea views in LA, how do the apartment sizes and amenities compare? 

At night ocean views can be a tad boring and a city view more dynamic. I pay 18k a month for 106sq metre condo in Pratumnak. I get jungle and distant sea views. I want to get a place for 4 k cheaper and a tad smaller. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2018 at 2:09 PM, pegman said:

I lived there a number of years and never saw mosquitos other than by the Cafe Del Mar fish ponds. Baht buses are the convèrted pickup trucks. ฿10 on every route no matter distance. Best invention ever.

White Bhat buses on Sukumvit to Jomtien are 20 bhat.  Big flat bed bhat bus from Sattahip to Rayong are 30.

4 hours ago, joeyg said:

White Bhat buses on Sukumvit to Jomtien are 20 bhat.  Big flat bed bhat bus from Sattahip to Rayong are 30.

I was speaking of the songthauws within Pattaya. The white ones go to all the way to Sattahip for ฿20.