Cheap Charlie Farangs that expect service but do not want to pay

cyberfarang

The last line seems in direct contradiction to the first paragraph.. 

The point I am making is.. When someone says they could go out, have a meal, some drinks, then lady drinks, then company of a gal all on 1000 - 1500 (he said less) and that gets a reply you still can if not in hooker bars.. Your having to really scrape the bottom of the pricing barrel. If its not in hooker bars the non pro hotties are in those trendy fashionable bars.. 

Then to say your not interested in young fashionable bars because you dont get female attention.. well, thats my point. Bottom barrel spending wont. 

Personally I love that chiang mai has a young urban thai class of people, with budget to spend and a fun time to be had.. I love that they now have a decent beer scene so we no longer need to drink dire domestic lagers.. I love that in the last year or two thats spread from downtown even out into the villages, where 250b beers are not raising an eyebrow and its Thais by far outnumbering expats.. If that leaves a few old farts who start to feel pained that a nights gone over 1000b well not really my problem, and not the younger wealthy Thais who wont give them a second look either. Time is moving on and that class of retiree is not likely to find it getting any cheaper or friendlier. 

The disconnect here is that you are coming at it from the POV of someone who has earned a buck (quid?) or two and you are arguing with down & outers who are pretending that they are down & outers by choice.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Secondly, why would we give a monkey's what "hip young trendy" Thais are or are not doing. I have zero interest in hanging out with them, but I do with ones that are friendly to older farangs, which are not in the bars you talk about.

You don't seem to realise that we can get all the attention we want, even now.

Where are these bars that you speak of ?

13 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

The disconnect here is that you are coming at it from the POV of someone who has earned a buck (quid?) or two and you are arguing with down & outers who are pretending that they are down & outers by choice.

LivinLOS is talking about visiting bars like this, so you might want to include him with your 'down and outers' ......... this is real class, plastic stools and fold up tables. I've been in higher class 7-11s!

my beer friend copy.jpg

beer friend 2.jpg

The other 2 bars he mentioned Beer Republic and 2 moons, are both on Niman.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Haha 1

On 1/19/2018 at 11:06 AM, faraday said:

Forgetfulness

When my memory
was a film library
with a keen curator

who knew precisely
where to find clips
of every word

I wished unsaid,
or deed undone,
to play back to me

on sleepless nights,
I’d have welcomed her
muddling the reels.

But now the curator’s
retired, the ordered
shelves are in chaos.

I roam the racks
without a guide
searching for scenes

I’ve lost. Sometimes,
unable to remember
what I’m searching for,

I find Forgetfulness
kneeling on the floor –
an old woman, pale

and worried as a ghost,
rummaging in a tangle
of shiny black ribbons.

Vicki Feaver

Might not be 'on topic' but nevertheless, apt.

:smile:

There were two old women who had been friends for many decades. Over the years they had shared all kinds of activities and adventures. Lately, their activities had been limited to meeting a few times a week to play cards. One day they were playing cards when one looked at the other and said, "Now don't get mad at me.... I know we've been friends for a long time.....but I just can't think of your name! I've thought and thought, but I can't remember it. Please tell me what your name is."
Her friend glared at her. For at least three minutes she just stared and glared at her. Finally she said, "How soon do you need to know?"
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, sanemax said:

Where are these bars that you speak of ?

You have to ask the poster that is promoting them on here. I have no idea as I have no interest in trendy bars.

Paying 300 baht for a beer is not my idea of a lifestyle choice. I have better things to spend my money on than expensive beer, but people can do whatever they like with their own money, or in the case of trendy young Thais, their parent's money.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You have to ask the poster that is promoting them on here. I have no idea as I have no interest in trendy bars.

Paying 300 baht for a beer is not my idea of a lifestyle choice. I have better things to spend my money on than expensive beer, but people can do whatever they like with their own money, or in the case of trendy young Thais, their parent's money.

No, I was asking you which bars that you were talking about .

The ones that are friendly to older felangs and which have available Thai ladies there .

You said that you prefer those kinds of bars and I am asking you where those bars are

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Cause they weigh over 48kgs?

Because I'm not a homosexual.

I have nothing against gays, and if LivinLOS enjoys the company of Thai men and 300bht beer, that's fine by me.

I would rather spend that 300bht on a fried fish and large bowl of rice (Pla Tab Tim Sam Rot), with my family and a large Leo by the lake.

PS. I don't like the taste of beer, the only important part is the alcohol, a 300bht beer and a 60bht beer have the same alcohol content.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

My wife and children are locals, but I've never had any urge to mix with local men.

Same situation & tend to agree....Always fun around Thai family but that's far away.....Thai men don't seem to hold long conversations....Some Thai women don't know how to have a short conversation....

Don't really go out looking to make new farang friends either...

That's the only thing the PI had over here - it was easy to mix in with the locals....There was always a karaoke party in any given neighborhood & always an open invitation.....Easy & upbeat....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pgrahmm said:

That's the only thing the PI had over here - it was easy to mix in with the locals....There was always a karaoke party in any given neighborhood & always an open invitation.....Easy & upbeat....

Totally agree, PI men have a lot in common with us culturally and talking to them is not a problem, but Thai men seem strange to me and dreadfully dull.

• Thanks 1

Just now, oldhippy said:

As usual, I agree with your post.

Except.

That PS really hurts my feelings.

I am Belgian, need I say more?

You never drank a real beer did you?

:sorry:

Have to admit, I never have liked the taste of beer also.....

About the only ones I could actually drink without a sour face were Fosters & Sapparo.....

You guys make killer waffles though.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I wonder if I am a cheap charlie.

I spend 6 months in Thailand, I refuse to buy expensive real beer or wine, I live on cheap seafood, and with the money I save, I spend 6 months in Europe with my wife.

In Europe I refuse to buy expensive seafood, I live on real beer / chocolate / wafles in Belgium,  and good wine in southern Europe, and with the money I save, we spend 6 months in our garden in Thailand.

Ad infinitum.

The ultimate yo-yo diet.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I have nothing against gays, and if LivinLOS enjoys the company of Thai men and 300bht beer, that's fine by me.

I would rather spend that 300bht on a fried fish and large bowl of rice (Pla Tab Tim Sam Rot), with my family and a large Leo by the lake.

PS. I don't like the taste of beer, the only important part is the alcohol, a 300bht beer and a 60bht beer have the same alcohol content.

So you have no friends?

47 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Have to admit, I never have liked the taste of beer also.....

About the only ones I could actually drink without a sour face were Fosters & Sapparo.....

You guys make killer waffles though.....

Fosters is low grade larger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

As usual, I agree with your post.

Except.

That PS really hurts my feelings.

I am Belgian, need I say more?

You never drank a real beer did you?

:sorry:

Nothing special about beer. Whisky is proper alcoholic drink.

2 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Really ?? What decade are you in ?? Sinigger snigger.. he likes men.. Your second attempt at getting a rise with it no less.. Is that what passes for a dig to you olds ?? Most of us have long gone past that.. 

Believe me if I was gay I would be loud and proud.. One big bull queen.. A few friends are, and is a biz partner.. I couldnt give a monkeys, or of someone thought I was.. 

Edited by LivinLOS
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, sanemax said:

No, I was asking you which bars that you were talking about .

The ones that are friendly to older felangs and which have available Thai ladies there .

You said that you prefer those kinds of bars and I am asking you where those bars are

Lots up Loi Kroh, but if you want the sort where the Thai girls give it away for free, you can find your own without my help.

2 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

Totally agree, PI men have a lot in common with us culturally and talking to them is not a problem, but Thai men seem strange to me and dreadfully dull.

True actually. Lot of Pi men working in my hospital and I found most of them easy to talk to and they were interested in more than drinking beer.

The only Thai man I knew really well just liked to get pissed and then throw things around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Justfine said:

So you have no friends?

Perhaps he doesn't need the sort of friends he's found in Thailand. I for one have zero interest in sitting in a bar paying bar prices to drink and chatting about nothing much. I also have no interest in playing pool or darts, unless it's with a young cute Thai lady and anticipating things to come.

The things I did with my friends back home I can't do here.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps he doesn't need the sort of friends he's found in Thailand. I for one have zero interest in sitting in a bar paying bar prices to drink and chatting about nothing much. I also have no interest in playing pool or darts, unless it's with a young cute Thai lady and anticipating things to come.

The things I did with my friends back home I can't do here.

You can have friends that don't drink much. Play golf or tennis or watch sports.

16 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Really ?? What decade are you in ?? Sinigger snigger.. he likes men.. Your second attempt at getting a rise with it no less.. Is that what passes for a dig to you olds ?? Most of us have long gone past that.. 

Believe me if I was gay I would be loud and proud.. One big bull queen.. A few friends are, and is a biz partner.. I couldnt give a monkeys, or of someone thought I was.. 

He does protest too much

2 minutes ago, Justfine said:

You can have friends that don't drink much. Play golf or tennis or watch sports.

LOL. Not everyone likes any of those, and I could have done those back home so don't count if you read my post "The things I did with my friends back home I can't do here".

Zero interest in golf or tennis, and would rather stick a red hot poker in my eye than watch sports.

However, if you know where I can go downhill skiing near C M I'll be a starter for that.

• Like 2