Find Yingluck and bring her to justice, PM orders

rooster59

11 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

You forgot the word FEAR

Steven makes a point here, democracy is not a 'must have', many people have little to no interest in politics and will place their cross in the Tory or Labour block because they always have done so or because the candidate has a nice smile. A must have is a free press,rule of law and accountability. Accountability can be to a council,a court of law or to any group that is upholding the ruler, NK being a poor example that this works but it has worked for instance in Russia under communist rule (ignore Stalin) and still works in China (ignore Mao) where the chairman is accountable to the party rulers. I would go as far to say that China would be ungovernable if democracy was used,  the Indian peasants are no better off with democracy (probably worse off) than a Chinese peasant under totalitarianism. As long as institutions are available which ensure checks and balances and these, under modern totalitarianism, are in place. Fear of the wrath of the populace should ensure a reasonable government although this doesn't seem to work in NK where no free press or independent institutions are allowed. Even under some democratic governments autocratic behaviour is apparent, the Philippines and Thailand for instance and the USA isn't completely impartial towards its black citizens even with independent law courts. I think democratic rule works best the smaller that a country is, like Denmark,Finland,Sweden,Norway or Holland all very peaceful and successful countries, when you start to get above 50 million it becomes unwieldy.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Steven makes a point here, democracy is not a 'must have', many people have little to no interest in politics and will place their cross in the Tory or Labour block because they always have done so or because the candidate has a nice smile. A must have is a free press,rule of law and accountability. Accountability can be to a council,a court of law or to any group that is upholding the ruler, NK being a poor example that this works but it has worked for instance in Russia under communist rule (ignore Stalin) and still works in China (ignore Mao) where the chairman is accountable to the party rulers. I would go as far to say that China would be ungovernable if democracy was used,  the Indian peasants are no better off with democracy (probably worse off) than a Chinese peasant under totalitarianism. As long as institutions are available which ensure checks and balances and these, under modern totalitarianism, are in place. Fear of the wrath of the populace should ensure a reasonable government although this doesn't seem to work in NK where no free press or independent institutions are allowed. Even under some democratic governments autocratic behaviour is apparent, the Philippines and Thailand for instance and the USA isn't completely impartial towards its black citizens even with independent law courts. I think democratic rule works best the smaller that a country is, like Denmark,Finland,Sweden,Norway or Holland all very peaceful and successful countries, when you start to get above 50 million it becomes unwieldy.

It is quite a feat to ignore both Stalin and Mao, and their roles in establishing both of their respective regimes. Particularly if one considers that both individuals' "modern totalitarianism" was responsible for the death of literally millions of people in their countries, and abject lifelong misery for countless millions more 

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

22 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

In the region in which I live, there is an alternative version.  "Hell hath no fury like a politician  Thai woman scorned!

Thai politicians are wimps compared to the latter. 

Just now, JAG said:

It is quite a feat to ignore both Stalin and Mao, and their roles in establishing both of their respective regimes. Particularly if one considers that both individuals "modern totalitarianism" was responsible for literally millions of people in their countries, and abject lifelong misery for countless millions mote

They weren't modern,they were dinosaurs but let us be fair the population before Stalin and Mao lived in misery anyway.Mao's 'leap forward' caused millions of deaths due to starvation (although starvation before Mao wasn't a seldom occurrence) but his actions modernized the country (birth pangs,brutal statement I know) and starvation ceased,the general population had a higher standard of living after him.

Funny how one grainy picture can get certain parties' knickers in such a tangle, yet numerous clearer ones get relegated to the back burner. We are, of course, talking of Yingluck vs the Red Bull brat.

And I seem to recall the PM's septuagenarian tea boy dismissing the Yingluck case as: 'She's gone, get over it', or words to that effect. Perhaps the excessive public interest in his wristwear has prompted the need for a distraction. 

They weren't modern,they were dinosaurs but let us be fair the population before Stalin and Mao lived in misery anyway.Mao's 'leap forward' caused millions of deaths due to starvation (although starvation before Mao wasn't a seldom occurrence) but his actions modernized the country (birth pangs,brutal statement I know) and starvation ceased,the general population had a higher standard of living after him.

Hmm, I am reluctant to argue further with you on this, not least because it would inevitably be closed down by moderators, and also because we are both obviously poles apart on the matter.

I will suggest that the Russian and Chinese communist revolutions are in no way comparable with what is happening in Thailand. There autocratic elite regimes which denied their people political or personal freedoms were overthrown and replaced by equally autocratic and ruthless regimes which, it can be argued, eventually benefited the greater part of their peoples

Here a series (at least two) democratically chosen governments (albeit yes, flawed) whose policies were essentially beneficial to the greater part of the population have been overturned and replaced by an autocratic regime. This regime operates at the behest of a very small ( but very wealthy) section of the population, and is supported by a small (perhaps dwindling) section of the population.

I would argue that Thailand had democracy (albeit less than perfect), it was removed against the wishes of the people, by means of a military coup and subsequent junta forstalling an election. That, I suggest, very much makes it a must have.

The fact that this thread is about the demand by the coup maker and head of the Junta, that his democratically elected predecessor should be sought out and returned to face an autocratic regimes "justice" rather underscores that.

12 minutes ago, JAG said:

Hmm, I am reluctant to argue further with you on this, not least because it would inevitably be closed down by moderators, and also because we are both obviously poles apart on the matter.

I will suggest that the Russian and Chinese communist revolutions are in no way comparable with what is happening in Thailand. There autocratic elite regimes which denied their people political or personal freedoms were overthrown and replaced by equally autocratic and ruthless regimes which, it can be argued, eventually benefited the greater part of their peoples

Here a series (at least two) democratically chosen governments (albeit yes, flawed) whose policies were essentially beneficial to the greater part of the population have been overturned and replaced by an autocratic regime. This regime operates at the behest of a very small ( but very wealthy) section of the population, and is supported by a small (perhaps dwindling) section of the population.

I would argue that Thailand had democracy (albeit less than perfect), it was removed against the wishes of the people, by means of a military coup and subsequent junta forstalling an election. That, I suggest, very much makes it a must have.

The fact that this thread is about the demand by the coup maker and head of the Junta, that his democratically elected predecessor should be sought out and returned to face an autocratic regimes "justice" rather underscores that.

I used 'must have' as a general term in that democracy is not a panacea for all things, some populations prefer a strong arm others a liberal government and in some cases there seems no other solution than totalitarianism ( China ) Yes Thailand would prefer a democracy as some small children want everything they can get their hands on. Thai's in this respect haven't grown up yet. Yingluck is free now and that is good so.

For the sake of everything that is holy, give it up already. Leave the lady alone - that's the best chance for you bozos in terms of saving whatever face you have left. The British government - if YL is indeed in the UK - will not repatriate someone to be tried by an unlelected junta government. Sheesh... stop trying to make a cat bark. On a separate note, you girls are really funny - bumbling and tripping over each other. What a circus.

I wouldn't worry too much if I was Yingluck. Obviously she doesn't when she appears on pictures with Thai tourists. They couldn't keep her in Thailand too face the courts verdict so how do they think that they will manage to get her extradited. It's just a show for the gallery that "we are working hard on the case". What about the Red Bull heritage who also managed to escape..? One thing that I've learned is that when you have money anything is possible.

19 hours ago, milys said:

I wouldn't worry too much if I was Yingluck. Obviously she doesn't when she appears on pictures with Thai tourists. They couldn't keep her in Thailand too face the courts verdict so how do they think that they will manage to get her extradited. It's just a show for the gallery that "we are working hard on the case". What about the Red Bull heritage who also managed to escape..? One thing that I've learned is that when you have money anything is possible.

Yup, they said they are working hard on that one too (the Red Bull fiasco), with an arrest warrant to show too! :cheesy:

On 1/5/2018 at 7:13 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

There is zero chance anyone would extradite Yingluck to Thailand to face "justice" by a military Junta. Zero. Do you not understand this? Is not the lesson of Thaksin clear enough?

The only way that Yingluck will return to Thailand is if she chooses to do so. Period.

Please stop this blustering nonsense, you are making my belly hurt...

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

They know that but posturing and taking a tough stance makes them more political appealing to some and others won't get upset unless Yingluck is brought back...which as you have pointed out...just isn't going to happen.

• 4 weeks later...