Best shops in BKK for genuine second hand rolex?

hello55060

Not a good investment unless it's a rare highly sort after piece.

No, but they hold there value pretty well.

The run of the mill Datejust I bought in ‘98 for $1,600 would easily fetch $3k, not a good investment, but still a nice watch.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At duty free in Laos (Nong Khai crossing), Rolexes are openly on sale. A bog-standard one can be had for 500/600 Baht and a top-of-the-range piece for 1500 Baht (before bartering). Can't argue with those prices.

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

At duty free in Laos (Nong Khai crossing), Rolexes are openly on sale. A bog-standard one can be had for 500/600 Baht and a top-of-the-range piece for 1500 Baht (before bartering). Can't argue with those prices.

Do you barter with rice?

16 hours ago, mogandave said:

No, but they hold there value pretty well.

The run of the mill Datejust I bought in ‘98 for $1,600 would easily fetch $3k, not a good investment, but still a nice watch.

$1500 to $4000 depending upon condition

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

No, they're not, Rolex watches are not available anywhere for B1500.

2 hours ago, Just Weird said:

No, they're not, Rolex watches are not available anywhere for B1500.

Oh yes they are JW. As I said; in the duty free at Nong Khai crossing. The wife looked them all over closely and chose a gold plated Rado for 500 Baht. Looks the biz and keeps good time.

Remember JW, when you buy in the 'duty free' articles are considerably cheaper.

3 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Oh yes they are JW. As I said; in the duty free at Nong Khai crossing. The wife looked them all over closely and chose a gold plated Rado for 500 Baht. Looks the biz and keeps good time.

Remember JW, when you buy in the 'duty free' articles are considerably cheaper.

And when it stops in 3 months you can buy a Patek

10 minutes ago, Justfine said:

And when it stops in 3 months you can buy a Patek

You got me there Justfine. What's a Patek?

The wife didn't get the watch to tell the time. Doesn't matter if it goes or not. Just a fashion statement; as with a Rolex. The gold plating on the Rado reflects the sun nicely when we are in the farm.

8 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

You got me there Justfine. What's a Patek?

The wife didn't get the watch to tell the time. Doesn't matter if it goes or not. Just a fashion statement; as with a Rolex. The gold plating on the Rado reflects the sun nicely when we are in the farm.

Buy a mirror

On 4/25/2018 at 8:55 AM, noise said:

image.png.de07b97415083e60dca003b30a851368.png

Why on earth would someone want a 30 year old air-king 5500 emblazoned with the logo of some of the worst pizza on earth for $3000 when you can get the same watch for $2000+/- without the logo.  Better yet, just spend $3500 and get a 5 year old (or less) Oyster Perpetual 116000?

Why on earth would someone want a 30 year old air-king 5500 emblazoned with the logo of some of the worst pizza on earth for $3000 when you can get the same watch for $2000+/- without the logo.  Better yet, just spend $3500 and get a 5 year old (or less) Oyster Perpetual 116000?

People pay more for old comic books.

Whatever floats your boat...

39 minutes ago, mogandave said:

People pay more for old comic books.

Whatever floats your boat...

Yeah..but for a Rolex to be truly collectible, you want box, papers, all original and not polished.  This Christies example is batting 0/4.  It’s not just about being old.  Most of the domino watches on Chrono 24 and other sites just sit and sit and sit.  Of course, someone will pay over the odds for this one just because it’s Christies.  A much better example (if dominos Rolex are your thing) recently went for less on EBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-Air-King-Domino-039-s-Pizza-5500-Ultra-Rare-Circa-1988-Box-and-Papers-34mm-/302632694275?hash=item4676507203%3Ag%3A1hsAAOSwubFafMib&nma=true&si=OE1Z0XpmY8bCtahfgFbT6GE2uf0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

If it was an old Explorer, Submariner or Daytona, sure.  But there really isn’t anything overly special about the basic OP (datejust, no date, whatever).

Feel free to bid on it however.

55 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Oh, and while I’m no fan of Domino’s, someone that calls it some of the worst pizza on Earth, clearly has not had some of the worst pizza on Earth...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You must have eaten some really bad pizza ?

Yeah..but for a Rolex to be truly collectible, you want box, papers, all original and not polished.  This Christies example is batting 0/4.  It’s not just about being old.  Most of the domino watches on Chrono 24 and other sites just sit and sit and sit.  Of course, someone will pay over the odds for this one just because it’s Christies.  A much better example (if dominos Rolex are your thing) recently went for less on EBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-Air-King-Domino-039-s-Pizza-5500-Ultra-Rare-Circa-1988-Box-and-Papers-34mm-/302632694275?hash=item4676507203%3Ag%3A1hsAAOSwubFafMib&nma=true&si=OE1Z0XpmY8bCtahfgFbT6GE2uf0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

If it was an old Explorer, Submariner or Daytona, sure.  But there really isn’t anything overly special about the basic OP (datejust, no date, whatever).

Feel free to bid on it however.

You have clearly confused me with someone that has an interest in a Dominos watch.

On 08/01/2018 at 2:09 AM, mark5335 said:

Papaya Watch are still around. They have a shop in MBK (2/F), and Central World (4/F).

Looked at the MBK shop on Tuesday.

Some good watches but imho not cheap.

RAZZ

• 4 weeks later...

I've always liked the Dominos Air Kings, and also the Pool Intairdril ones. It's a shame Rolex won't supply dual logo's anymore.

In general, Bangkok is just not a good place to get a good value deal on a Rolex though, I wouldn't bother. Some of the shops in MBK, the one's selling genuine watches actually have signs up saying their prices will be more than in your home country to stop so many people asking and then being disappointed. People assume Thailand = cheap, maybe 20 years ago there were bargains but not now.

I'd also rather have a Grand Seiko (important distinction, GRAND Seiko, not Seiko) tbh, in fact that's what I did and sold all my Rolexes apart from one. FYI my Grand Seiko cost more than the equivalent Rolex in 2015 and was technically better in pretty much every measurable way apart from water resistance depth. The level of finishing, detail and quality is far superior. Rolex have introduced and are rolling out a new movement through their ranges since then though which is more on a level with the Grand Seiko movements.

On 4/22/2018 at 4:48 AM, pearciderman said:

The you would be wasting money!

"Rolex is a bit pricey for service, but it is worth it. They put your watch in their international computer system and if it is stolen or whatnot and comes for servicing they get it back. They also warranty the repairs for a year, good at any Rolex service center. They also pressure test the watches, which not all watchmakers can do. "

"Only official Rolex retailers are allowed to sell and maintain a Rolex. They guarantee the authenticity of each and every part of your Rolex, not to mention its reliability over time, helping you make the choice that will last a lifetime."

If the official Rolex shops here sold dodgy watches or did shoddy repairs, first they would lose their customers and second they would lose their Rolex licence.

You are really doing nothing more than scaremongering with absolutely no basis.

Don't get so upset....was plainly suggesting for those who can afford the trip to be extra cautious.

And all that glitters is not always gold, even in Europe or Thailand. Even in countries like in Spain, Italy or France, there are cheats. Up to you if you want to get scammed or not. Have a nice day.

I don't intend to derail the thread, but Parnis makes excellent replicas. If you can afford a genuine brand name go for it. I cannot! So, the Parnis satisfies my desire to collect a few. I have a seiko 5 too.

Archived