AIS Internet 1 month plan really slowwww...

dblaisde

I just switched from DTAC to AIS, because DTAC was slowing down. After a fast (by comparison) first month, my AIS Internet (one month plan for around Seven hundred baht) is now very slow, featuring lots of delays. Sometimes it takes 2-3 tries to send mail. Its better during working hours.

Is there a fix for this? Ill pay more money, if that will do it. I live in Banglampoo (Khao San Rd) area so possibly thats the problem (??).

My computer runs Linux Ubuntu (almost latest) and has run well for quite some time. This effect is both with Firefox and Chrome.

PS I run the laptop through my cellphone internet connection. The cellphone runs significantly better. I think the cellphone may be set to query more often because although it has the same problem, its not as severe.

If running a Speedtest.net test on your smart phone what speed do you get?   

Now I'm not talking the speed you get on your computer when connected to your smartphone; I'm talking what your smartphone reports as the speed.  If it's reporting say 10Mb speed but you are only getting say 5Mb on your computer then you just have a slow down between your phone and the computer and not the mobile signal.

When browsing on your phone pages will appear faster than on a computer, because your phone will be usually displaying "mobile" webpages....webpages designed for small screen mobile devices....pages that are much smaller in size "bytes-wise" so they load much faster than "desktop" webpages designed to appear on computer screens.  Desktop screen are much large "bytes-wise" which means it will take them longer to appear.

But your problem also seems to be a "connections timing out" problem due to slow speed and/or long ping time.   And yes, in some areas a mobile connection might be much slower than say a half-kilometer (or closer) away....or slow down to more people using the connection in your area....so many possible reasons.

Just asking:

Is it prepaid or postpaid AIS?

Can you specify what kind of plan it is and how it is booked?

If prepaid:

Are you sure the plan has been "refilled" for another month?

(most prepaid plans are not auto refilling)

Is it a plan that has a volume limit (throttling after using up)?

(700 Baht does not sound like a high speed unlimited flat rate)

What's the result of a package check?:

*121*32#

I don't know much about postpaid.

Good point...some plans are unlimited data per month but after X-amount if data is used per month the "speed" is throttled until the beginning of the next billing cycle.

You still are getting unlimited data but the speed gets throttled to usually around 384Kb or less.

Once the new billing cycle starts you get full speed again until x-amount of data is used up...speed is throttled...the monthly cycle repeats...etc.

So many different plans.

What is your actual reception like there and do you use LTE/4G or not?

I have just started with AIS fibre for 799 baht but it starts at 599 i think. It is lightning fast 75mb.

I am guessing thats not an option for you maybe.

Before I switched I was using prepaid AIS. I live on a high floor in a condo in the middle of a city and I get just 1 or 2 bars reception at times. If going out it will be better. I noticed my speed would depend a lot on that.

With normal data (no lte) it would be a bit slower but much more stable and reliable even with the crap reception.

With LTE and crap signal it would be sporadic and unreliable but when it worked it would be faster than the regular 3G. For some reason I could not receive phone calls with LTE enabled. I don't know why.

I was mostly doing the 49baht per day data with no package so it is more value to actually get home installation.

Otherwise I see no way you could improve it. I suspect it is down to your location/signal. 

Im not sure whether or not the major telcos here share towers or not also. Like in Australia if your with Boost mobile and arn't happy it would be pointless to switch to telstra or many other networks as they use the same infrastructure. I know LINE use DTAC so it must happen a bit.

If you use android I would download an app called "no root firewall" it allows you to select what uses data and what doesn't and be notified when something uses data with an option to stop it. Closing down unwanted connections could speed things up a bit. Otherwise I don't know.

I occasionally would buy the 1 week package but not used the 1 month package for a long time. Those different plans come with different limits as well. You might wanna check the speed advertised and any limits as you could be getting shaped if your going over a limit.

I lived on Samsen rd, near Khaosan for over a year using AIS with no issues. 

3G Mao Mao 2GB at 239bht. 

*777*75#

3G 6GB at 699bht.

*777*986#

4G 10GB with free calls to 350min all networks at 799bht. *788*5026#

(I did however receive an SMS with a 50% discount using above code at 399bht, if by 13 Jan.) 

In Settings, Mobile Networks, APNs, you have 2 choices. AIS Internet, and AIS - Internet (wap.mobilelife.com.th) 

I've found doing speed tests with both, that the first option appears stonger for my 4G/Lte Samsung. The second option was the default setting my phone previously connected to..  

Could it be your location? Or does it happen everywhere? We use one B450/month unlimited plan and tether 2-3 other devices to it and it works extremely well. However...when we were in a hotel recently, it did not perform as well. But once out by the pool...or anywhere outside of the hotel...back to normal and fast. 

Archived