The 5 signs to look for that you should go home and leave Pattaya

Inspire

We are have different standards and acceptable living conditions, but if you have succumbed to a 3k baht a month studio with no aircon and a cold, broken shower or even possibly a large barrel you need to fill with water. You know the type, studios in the same block as the workers of Soi Baukhao, then this is sign number 1. Your not living the dream, go home.

But unfortunately you can't afford to go home because that studio with no aircon and and crappy utilities is going to cost you 30k baht (or somewhere between $700 to $1000 / month in a seedy part of most US cities).  And a partitioned, shared cargo container in the bad part of West Oakland will cost you, well, more they you can afford.  Yeah, go home!  Right.....

Obviously another diatribe written by the "Anti-Cheap-Charlie" constituency of the 'desirable' expat  community.

Perhaps a better approach would be to write articles on how to economize on limited incomes while in Thailand.  And by the way, I lived in a 1,200 THB Thai apartment for the better part of seven years, and not out of economic necessity, but because I simply choose to live simply and to live in a 100% Thai community.  And I had no A/C, but I did have a hot shower.  It's amazing how quickly the human body will adapt to temperature changes.  BTW - we didn't have A/C when I grew up.  Not a lot of people did.  And I lived next to normal, average Thai people: taxi drivers, shop owners, bar girls, retail clerks, students, old people, restaurant workers, factory workers - 'you know the type.'  Wait a minute.  What type are those?  The commoners who are beneath you?  No better than those awful Cheap Charlies?
If you're tempted to say, 'yes', you should try immersing yourselves in Thai culture first. 

So what's the path that we can collectively take to go from disparaging our fellow expats who are living economically, either by choice or necessity, to actually supporting them and their choice of lifestyles?  "You should just go home!", is an immense cop-out and and exercise is elitism. 

Climbing down off of one's high-horse and developing a sense of empathy for others may be a good start.  Writing articles on how to economize and live a fulfilling life at the same time within the LOS may be another.  But to keep hammering on the Cheap Charlies Go Home bandwagon is counterproductive, and to be honest, rather offensive too. 

Time to get a sense of humour. You sound like a tight wad. [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

We are have different standards and acceptable living conditions, but if you have succumbed to a 3k baht a month studio with no aircon and a cold, broken shower or even possibly a large barrel you need to fill with water. You know the type, studios in the same block as the workers of Soi Baukhao, then this is sign number 1. Your not living the dream, go home.

But unfortunately you can't afford to go home because that studio with no aircon and and crappy utilities is going to cost you 30k baht (or somewhere between $700 to $1000 / month in a seedy part of most US cities).  And a partitioned, shared cargo container in the bad part of West Oakland will cost you, well, more they you can afford.  Yeah, go home!  Right.....

Obviously another diatribe written by the "Anti-Cheap-Charlie" constituency of the 'desirable' expat  community.

Perhaps a better approach would be to write articles on how to economize on limited incomes while in Thailand.  And by the way, I lived in a 1,200 THB Thai apartment for the better part of seven years, and not out of economic necessity, but because I simply choose to live simply and to live in a 100% Thai community.  And I had no A/C, but I did have a hot shower.  It's amazing how quickly the human body will adapt to temperature changes.  BTW - we didn't have A/C when I grew up.  Not a lot of people did.  And I lived next to normal, average Thai people: taxi drivers, shop owners, bar girls, retail clerks, students, old people, restaurant workers, factory workers - 'you know the type.'  Wait a minute.  What type are those?  The commoners who are beneath you?  No better than those awful Cheap Charlies?
If you're tempted to say, 'yes', you should try immersing yourselves in Thai culture first. 

So what's the path that we can collectively take to go from disparaging our fellow expats who are living economically, either by choice or necessity, to actually supporting them and their choice of lifestyles?  "You should just go home!", is an immense cop-out and and exercise is elitism. 

Climbing down off of one's high-horse and developing a sense of empathy for others may be a good start.  Writing articles on how to economize and live a fulfilling life at the same time within the LOS may be another.  But to keep hammering on the Cheap Charlies Go Home bandwagon is counterproductive, and to be honest, rather offensive too. 

As always a clear, concise post from you. Too bad many lack the acuity to understand.