British Passport @ Trendy - Time

On 1/9/2018 at 8:49 AM, baneko said:

There must be a different procedure in OZ compared to over here I think?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It would seem so.  There are no offices here to go to and when you go online to enquire  about renewal they only refer you to the online renewal system, which as I said before is very easy to do.  Its all done at Liverpool.

The staff at Liverpool are fantastic. 

Great ambassadors for Liverpool too. 

They will, if you are genuinely in a bind, do the visa application within the same day or possibly a few hours. 

They did for me anyway. TR. 

Lovely lasses. 

As they say up North. lol. 

Footnote... If ever in Liverpool. 

Don't go to the main post office. 

Even for a stamp. 

It's a nightmare to use. 

Edited by dallen52

18 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

They will, if you are genuinely in a bind, do the visa application within the same day or possibly a few hours. 

Lovely lasses. 

Footnote... If ever in Liverpool. 

Don't go to the main post office. 

Even for a stamp. 

It's a nightmare to use. 

Visa ??

But They CANNOT Do it now, Everything has to be APPROVED By The Thai Embassy in London....

Usually takes up to a Week to get their Approval....But Mine took 1 Hour when Sue contacted the embassy by e-mail & Told them She had dealt with my applications for Over 20 Years & Could vouch for me personally,They O.K'd it Immediately .....

But Back to The Liverpool Consulate.....

Lovely lasses. 

Yes Both Sue & Sharon Are,I've known them both personally for Over 20 Years Now.....Even Got BOTH of their Personal e-mail addresses !!

Edited by Nong Khai Man

1 minute ago, Happy enough said:

and do you? in nearly 20 years i haven't walked around with my passport and i have never been asked to show it whilst out and about

No I don't, but the law says you should. There's a first time for everything. Cheers.

Thaivisa.com, a popular portal for expats and travellers, put the question directly to Pol Col Thanasak Vongluekiat, superintendent of the Prachuap Khiri Khan and Phetchaburi Immigration office in Hua Hin.

He said that by law, all tourists and expats nationwide are required to carry their original passports with them at all times. There is no exception. Failure to carry your original passport may result in a 2,000-baht fine. A photocopy, stamped or not, or a driver's licence is not an acceptable substitute.

"The reason behind this is that Immigration needs to keep track of overstayers and foreign criminals who may be staying illegally in the country," Thaivisa quoted Pol Col Thanasak as saying.

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Thaivisa.com, a popular portal for expats and travellers, put the question directly to Pol Col Thanasak Vongluekiat, superintendent of the Prachuap Khiri Khan and Phetchaburi Immigration office in Hua Hin.

He said that by law, all tourists and expats nationwide are required to carry their original passports with them at all times. There is no exception. Failure to carry your original passport may result in a 2,000-baht fine. A photocopy, stamped or not, or a driver's licence is not an acceptable substitute.

"The reason behind this is that Immigration needs to keep track of overstayers and foreign criminals who may be staying illegally in the country," Thaivisa quoted Pol Col Thanasak as saying.

Didnt someone higher up the food chain then say that it wasnt necessary ?

On 1/10/2018 at 8:26 AM, ubonjoe said:

Because you have to send both your passports to do an online application. They cancel the old one before sending it back to you.

This is 1 of the absurdities of the current passport renewal process (another being the ridiculous requirement to provide proof of address which IMHO is totally unnecessary given that HMPO will no longer send our new passports direct to us). There appears to me to be no earthly good reason why we can't send complete copies of our old passport (in lieu of the original) with a printed-off online application direct to HMPO in the UK!

Our new passports could then be sent to VFS from whom we could collect them in person upon production of our existing passport for cancellation, as at present. That should surely be sufficient to meet HMPO's security concerns in a manner which does not impose excessive inconvenience on us (in the form of 2 physical trips rather than 1), which is all the greater the further away we live from Bangkok.

Since the online system includes a facility for taking passport photos, it would also overcome potential difficulties in obtaining photos which comply with HMPO's stringent requirements - which, if interpreted literally, might make it all but impossible to obtain satisfactory photos here in Thailand in practice (in particular, the specific prohibition of software tampering would appear to mean, stricly speaking, that mug shots with the background photoshopped, in accordance with the practice which appears to be generally followed by professional photographers here, would be unacceptable).

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

i keep a photo of passport page and current visa on my phone just in case but have never been asked to show passport but if i was i'd have to go home to get it. the reason i don't carry it around is i don't want to lose it

1 minute ago, Happy enough said:

i keep a photo of passport page and current visa on my phone just in case but have never been asked to show passport but if i was i'd have to go home to get it. the reason i don't carry it around is i don't want to lose it

Don't lose your phone either !!!!!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

There isn't one.

Just saying it does not make it law.

You need to do better than that by quoting the appropriate reference from Civil and Commercial Code of Thailand.

Clue..... you will not find it anywhere. It does not exist as a "law"..... I have been searching for 12 years and no one can show me the legal reference point.

But there might well be some general law stating that everyone in LOS must have some form of acceptable ID on their person at all times - which for Thai nationals would mean their ID cards but for us foreigners would, in practice, mean our passports).

Just now, OJAS said:

But there might well be some general law stating that everyone in LOS must have some form of acceptable ID on their person at all times - which for Thai nationals would mean their ID cards but for us foreigners would, in practice, mean our passports).

thai driving license is often accepted as ID and fits into your wallet nicely

Just now, Happy enough said:

thai driving license is often accepted as ID and fits into your wallet nicely

But that won't show when your current permisison to stay in LOS expires, though. Or does it (I don't have one)?

2 minutes ago, OJAS said:

But that won't show when your current permisison to stay in LOS expires, though. Or does it (I don't have one)?

no it doesn't. easy to get, only about 300 baht i think it was. like i said earlier, i have never been asked to show ID anyway but i have used my DL once in the bank when i forgot my passport

**saying that the girl in the bank knows me as go there quite often but i think a DL is ok for a few things

Edited by Happy enough

17 minutes ago, OJAS said:

I believe there is a law requiring Thais to carry ID at all times. Nothing about foreigners.

No need to worry says Bangkok Immigration Commander - Deputy Commander Voravat confirmed that foreign tourists and expats do not need to carry their passports with them at all times. (thaivisa.com

(Just one persons comment, same as the police officer in Hua Hin).

I NEVER carry my passport unless I am traveling between provinces. I have all my passport details and immigration stamps on a laminated card.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Since the online system includes a facility for taking passport photos, it would also overcome potential difficulties in obtaining photos which comply with HMPO's stringent requirements - which, if interpreted literally, might make it all but impossible to obtain satisfactory photos here in Thailand in practice (in particular, the specific prohibition of software tampering would appear to mean, stricly speaking, that mug shots with the background photoshopped, in accordance with the practice which appears to be generally followed by professional photographers here, would be unacceptable).

The photo requirements are clearly stated .

Just download the requirements and take them to a photo shop .

Most photo shops near to Trendy house are familiar with the requirements .

Its quite simple to adhere to the requirements

As usual in Thailand, one person in authority says one thing and someone else says another. One says a passport must be carried, someone else says a photocopy will do. Probably, as someone here pointed out, there is no actual law. It is up to the discretion of whoever stops you in the street (and how broke they are). I do carry a copy, but that of course does not show if I am on overstay or not. I suppose they could, if Thailand existed in the 21st century, check my passport number against what the immigration computer system shows, but I'm sure that is far beyond the ability of the authorities here, allowing police access to the immigration database. Maybe that is a good thing. Probably, knowing how it could be misused by corrupt police.

On 09/01/2018 at 7:09 AM, Golden Triangle said:

Just finished speaking with the boss of the agency, end of this week by the latest, according to him, slight delay due to the festivities, so fingers crossed :smile: 

What a surprise, Friday is here and has nearly gone, and guess what ? No passport :smile:

I did speak with the agency today to be told not to worry, middle of next week should be good.

I was out to dinner with the Mrs this evening, phone goes and its a message from DHL :biggrin: My passport will be ready for collection on 15th - Monday - yeeehaaaaa.

It would have been very nice if the agency had informed me at some point in our conversations that I would receive a message from DHL informing me of this, I'm not complaining, just stating that a 7 word sentence ' you will receive a message from DHL' would have made a big difference to the whole proceedings and eased any concerns that I may have had.

My ankle is still heavily strapped from a a bit of a tumble I took on an uneven footpath back in mid Dec and a bit painful as well so I can't complain as the service has been very good so far, just a bit short on detail :partytime2:

Tbat may well be the law but I certainly wont be carrying my Passport with me at all times. I wont be carrying a copy. I never have and never will. Does anyone on here really carry their PP with them at all times?

23 hours ago, sanemax said:

Most photo shops near to Trendy house are familiar with the requirements .

Fine if they have actual physical drapes in either of the mandatory background colours against which mug shots can be taken. Do they?

Let me use space here to post my question. When applying the sticker the consulate left four blank pages before. Can those pages be used for stickers or stanps in the future. Pages need not be used chronologically??

Edited by Master Jairam
Masr

On 13/01/2018 at 4:57 AM, baneko said:

Tbat may well be the law but I certainly wont be carrying my Passport with me at all times. I wont be carrying a copy. I never have and never will. Does anyone on here really carry their PP with them at all times?

Not at all very risky. Even in hotel room secure in locker. 

13 minutes ago, Master Jairam said:

Let me use space here to post my question. When applying the sticker the consulate left four blank pages before. Can those pages be used for stickers or stanps in the future. Pages need not be used chronologically??

All blank pages can be used in the future, non go to waste.

• Thanks 1