British Passport @ Trendy - Time

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:53 AM, Eff1n2ret said:

Yes, the only way you can apply in Thailand is via VFS, but HMPO only operate a VFS-type operation in certain countries. I once found some policy document on either the FCO or HMPO website which indicated the criteria by which they decide how to deal with applications, but I can't remember what they were, and I can't be bothered to try and find it again.

The days are long gone when British Consulates around the world had a stock of blank passports in their safe, and when they got an application they would fish one out, stick it in a typewriter and fill in the details. The digital technology involved in a modern passport dictates that they have to be produced in central locations, and I can't believe that the British Embassy in Bangkok could provide a better service than what VFS are now giving. That of course doesn't explain why applicants in Thailand are required to schlepp to Bangkok twice to get a passport, while in Oz you can apply to the UK by post, but I guess the powers that be have a view about the relative security, probity and efficiency of public services in Oz compared with Thailand.

I did read up on this issue recently. In countries where passport theft and fraud is prevalent the FCO have opted for renewals to be handled via an agency, such as we have here. I'm sure we all know why! Otherwise renewal is done by post.

The policy document you refer to can be found at:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/496333/Posting_Passports_and_Documents_-_redaction_-_final__clean_.pdf

Be warned, it's a lengthy tome!

Regarding VFS, I renewed mine 2 years ago and was very impressed with their service. I received my new one in only 2 weeks.

9 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I did read up on this issue recently. In countries where passport theft and fraud is prevalent the FCO have opted for renewals to be handled via an agency, such as we have here. I'm sure we all know why! Otherwise renewal is done by post.

The policy document you refer to can be found at:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/496333/Posting_Passports_and_Documents_-_redaction_-_final__clean_.pdf

Be warned, it's a lengthy tome!

Regarding VFS, I renewed mine 2 years ago and was very impressed with their service. I received my new one in only 2 weeks.

Yes, thank you, that is the document which I had previously seen.