VIDEO: Foreign tourists kicked off Phuket beach by hotel staff

Jonathan Fairfield

VIDEO: Foreign tourists kicked off Phuket beach by hotel staff

Untitled.png

Video footage of a family of foreign tourists being kicked off a beach in Phuket, allegedly by hotel staff who claimed the beach was reserved for hotel guests only, has gone viral on social media.

The footage, which was shared on Facebook on Sunday, shows a foreign man explaining to hotel staff how he just wanted to sit on the beach.

The incident occurred on a section of beach outside a five star resort in Phuket, which belongs to one of Thailand's best known hotel chains.

People commenting on social media hit out at the actions of the hotel staff saying the beaches were public land and the family were well within their rights to sit on that area of beach.

Others the called incident embarrassing and said it would be harmful for the image of Phuket.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-07

"the beaches were public land and the family were well within their rights to sit on that area of beach" - foreigners have NO rights here, as clearly stated to the foreigner by the security staff.

This is the crap that is repelling tourists from Phuket, at a time when they can least afford to repel anyone.

Send the Thai Military in to clean this mess up.  Oh, that's right, they have been in control for 3 years already, yet, have achieved next to nothing on Phuket. 

No hope for improvement on Phuket.  What we have now on Phuket, will be what Phuket will always be. 

Good luck keeping up with the competition, whilst still relying on the same old scams, collusion, encroachment, and rip offs, from decades ago. 

Edited by NamKangMan

I do really hope the army takes up on this and check if their is any encroachment from the hotel onto public land, it would be a real shame if they had to knock down any encroachment.

Not sure if it works the same here as in Canada where I come from.

But the person who owns the beach front property owns the land to the high tide mark. So any one can use the beach from the water up to the high water mark but after that it is private land. So the hotel may have been well within their rights.

The Crown owns the beaches,  However hotels etc may own or rent the access to the beach if it passes through their '' property''  If you can access the beach without trespassing on their property then you're fine. 

5 hours ago, tolsti said:

The Crown owns the beaches,  However hotels etc may own or rent the access to the beach if it passes through their '' property''  If you can access the beach without trespassing on their property then you're fine. 

correct, they have no right to ask anyone to move from public land

I certainly would not have moved and the authorities need to go and have a word with these people to make sure they understand that

When i stayed in a nice beachhotel in Pattaya there also was a farang who wanted to walk from the beach to the road through the hotels' property.

The guard told him not to walk there but he didn't listen. The guard had to tell it 4 more times and the Thai wife from mr fallang already walked back....finally mr fallang also went back.

I hate private beaches but private roads/paths should be respected.

1 hour ago, Thian said:

I hate private beaches but private roads/paths should be respected.

It's not a private beach. Just because that part of the beach is in front of a five star doesn't make it their property. What should be respected is the public's right to sit their bums on any part of any beach.

Well not knowing the area what would happen if one just wanted to stroll along the beach to go from one end to the other

? Could they stop for a rest their whilst passing through OR

Would they be required to go around the hotel on the streets

22 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Interesting that the security man is not wearing any sort of uniform or badge identifying him as an employee of the hotel. That's extremely unusual in Thailand (the hub of uniforms).

the security were wearing unifroms, the guy in orange was just a local who's friend recorded the situation and then at the end in thai he explains what happened then they posted it to facebook. the general thai reaction is that it's not fair and makes thailand look bad, however, apparently is has also been on the news who have reported that the hotel does in fact own that stretch of beach

It's a wonder the tourist found a spot on the crowded beach to lay his mat. Maybe the attitude of the locals towards tourists has something to do with it. Tourists are being driven away for years. Phuket is sinking.

6 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

Well not knowing the area what would happen if one just wanted to stroll along the beach to go from one end to the other

? Could they stop for a rest their whilst passing through OR

Would they be required to go around the hotel on the streets

apparently the general rule is that you can walk along the stretch of beach but cannot stop and sit down unless you're a guest of the hotel. i could understand the hotels point of view if it was a rowdy group but some bloke and his 2 young kids? should have just left them to it imo, i'm sure the hotels guests wouldn't have cared, they also wouldn't have even known they weren't guests too

12 hours ago, nev said:

I do really hope the army takes up on this and check if their is any encroachment from the hotel onto public land, it would be a real shame if they had to knock down any encroachment.

Not public land..... Royal land!

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

It's not a private beach. Just because that part of the beach is in front of a five star doesn't make it their property. What should be respected is the public's right to sit their bums on any part of any beach.

Oh i see, in that case he has all the rights to sit there me thinks.

And what about Club Med at Kata beach phuket? They have a private beach right?

13 minutes ago, Thian said:

Nope.  Anyone can sit anywhere.  I used to be in front of Club Med a lot over the years and never did they tell our group we couldn't be there.  

Scene looks like it is in front of Outrigger on Layan Beach.

I have walked along here, and sat on the beach, many times in the over 4 years I have lived in Phuket and have never had any problems.

Having regard to the fact that the "guard" does not have a uniform, and to the fact that there is a structure set up for what is most likely a wedding, my guess is that the "guard" is in fact staff of the wedding organiser and is simply trying (unlawfully as I understand it) to claim that part of the beach until the event is over.

When I encounter such situations I walk around simply out of consideration for the happy couple, who no doubt have paid a lot of money for their day.

25 minutes ago, Thian said:

No, club Med, Kata do NOT have a private beach, you are wrongly informed.

47 minutes ago, Nip said:

It's a wonder the tourist found a spot on the crowded beach to lay his mat. Maybe the attitude of the locals towards tourists has something to do with it. Tourists are being driven away for years. Phuket is sinking.

Phuket has sunk. Speak to the shop,  stall and restuarant owners in Laguna and Chergn Talay .  .  .  Very little tourists and they are not spending like in times gone by.

Phuket local Thai folk,  you killed your golden goose in 2011,  now suck on its dried up bones. 

3 minutes ago, Moochie said:

I have walked along here, and sat on the beach, many times in the over 4 years I have lived in Phuket and have never had any problems.

Having regard to the fact that the "guard" does not have a uniform, and to the fact that there is a structure set up for what is most likely a wedding, my guess is that the "guard" is in fact staff of the wedding organiser and is simply trying (unlawfully as I understand it) to claim that part of the beach until the event is over.

When I encounter such situations I walk around simply out of consideration for the happy couple, who no doubt have paid a lot of money for their day.

The guy who filmed it mentioned Dusit Laguna when he walked away.

1 minute ago, Moochie said:

did you even watch the video? i assume you don;t understand thai. the guy in orange is not a guard. see post 17