Phuket beach banishment drama - hotel within their rights, say district officials

webfact

Phuket beach banishment drama - hotel within their rights, say district officials

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

District officials and the hotel at the center of a controversy have explained the situation after it appeared a tourist was being banished from the beach in Phuket.

An altercation on the Phuket beach had resulted in a video that was posted by Aziz Yotharak on Facebook that promised to damage tourism at the southern Thai island.

On Sunday governor of Phuket Noraphat Plotthong ordered his minions in to investigate. Thalang district chief Kongtho-adul Chuthong and the local kamnan spoke to the management at Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket and discovered that the stretch of beach in question is indeed owned by the hotel.

The hotel said that they were not banishing the tourists concerned from the beach - just asking them to move on to another section as theirs is private.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-08

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

" The hotel said that they were not banishing the tourists concerned from the beach - just asking them to move on to another section as theirs is private. "

Since private beaches do not exist, this is a nonsense explanation.

34 minutes ago, stevenl said:

" The hotel said that they were not banishing the tourists concerned from the beach - just asking them to move on to another section as theirs is private. "

Since private beaches do not exist, this is a nonsense explanation.

Not with Ma-Ann involved! Dodgy titles and envelopes spring to mind- they will have made a massive payoff for a 'private' (that isn't) beach.

28 minutes ago, oilinki said:

It would be nice to make the hotel/landowners and the officials to show on record, where does the property line go. 

The property ends at high tide line like I said in another post about this  incident.

So legally anyone can do what ever  they want below the high tide mark.But go above the high tide mark they would be on private property. During high tide they probably allow anyone to pass through.using their private beach.

19 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

top photo, sign says private property

Beach can not be private land.

I hope the army looks into this, but I get the impression that someone (won't name, you never know) is making a lot of money here.

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I hope the army looks into this, but I get the impression that someone (won't name, you never know) is making a lot of money here.

i did not say it could or couldn't be, i just said what was reported on thai news. the local officials have investigated and said the hotel owns the land. i'm not a thai lawyer so will leave it at that. 

**sorry talking about the other thread before this new report came out. here i simply pointed out for him there was a sign as that was what he questioned

OK guys who believe it is not private. Let me ask you a question.

I know people who own Islands. Is their beach part of the island they own or public? They feel they own it. And people who come by boat have to request by marine radio to be allowed to go on the beach. But if people stay below high tide mark the island owners know there is nothing they can do. Some people are aware of this and do come at low tide and use the beach with no problem. Some even have fires on the beach. But high tide comes  and all i s washed away like they were never there.

28 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

OK guys who believe it is not private. Let me ask you a question.

I know people who own Islands. Is their beach part of the island they own or public? They feel they own it. And people who come by boat have to request by marine radio to be allowed to go on the beach. But if people stay below high tide mark the island owners know there is nothing they can do. Some people are aware of this and do come at low tide and use the beach with no problem. Some even have fires on the beach. But high tide comes  and all i s washed away like they were never there.

Are you talking about Thailand or Canada, as you were in your earlier post:

"Not sure if it works the same here as in Canada where I come from.

But the person who owns the beach front property owns the land to the high tide mark. So any one can use the beach from the water up to the high water mark but after that it is private land. So the hotel may have been well within their rights."

Just found a site advertising private beach resorts mostly Koh Samui So they are out there and are advertised online.

18 Private beach Hotels in Thailand | Boutique hotels Splendia

Private beach Hotels in Thailand. Book your Private beach hotel in Thailand with Splendia and benefit from exclusive offers.

2 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

do they have signs up that say  "PRIVATE BEACH"
if not .......

I thought (seems i was wrong now) all Beaches were kings land

"I thought (seems i was wrong now) all Beaches were kings land"

I thought the same, and various buildings/structures having been forced to be demolished rather confirms this view?  It's unlikely that those buildings/structures would be anything other than beyond the high tide mark as otherwise they would be seriously damaged by the tide?

3 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

do they have signs up that say  "PRIVATE BEACH"
if not .......

I thought (seems i was wrong now) all Beaches were kings land

I actually think it is BS, the hotel in question is likely or has likely paid for the privilege, money talks 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thalang district chief Kongtho-adul Chuthong and the local kamnan spoke to the management at Dusit Thani Laguna Phuket and discovered that the stretch of beach in question is indeed owned by the hotel.

Lol... I know it’s probably only me... but as I read it.....

the district chiefs spoke to the hotel management, and the hotel told them that the beach belonged to them.... sorted.

but... yay... private beach, drag out the fags and light up!

I have heard high tide water line is the point, but I have lived in a seaside city in Vic. Australia and the difference between winter and summer can be as much as 100 meters or more, and it seems the winter water line wins.

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

as far as i know beach area must be always public accessable...regardless who owns it...this is an old rule of the king ..beach is for the people of the land not for somebody to own it same as air etc.....

Archived