Is it a bad to buy a car that was once LPG powered?

miketu

9 hours ago, canthai55 said:

LPG tank inspection required every 5 years here.

Gotta love people who post incorrect info - do your homework.

I was referring to Australia, where the inspection is every ten years. Not having owned a LPG car here, I didn't know it was 5 years.

Can't say I care much for people who get their enjoyment out of tearing down contributions by other posters.

The only problem I have read about using LPG is increased cylinder head temperature which may cause a problem with an engine design. But I reckon there are engines that cope, after all taxi's use gas of some sort to save costs. Can't remember which engine but seems they can upgrade the head with tougher parts to deal with the heat.

For professionally fitted LPG cars with stock enigne, I don't see downside for having LPG.

Almost all LPG cars in Thailand retain dual fuel system, when do spirited driving could always switch back to gas, manually or automatically. Plus difference between LPG/gas very minimal( except superb 12.xx THB/L price ), unless go heavy tuning. 

NGV do running hot & have a very heavy tank. If the kit have single-tap-type collar, air flow at throttle body will be much restricted. Theoretically NGV is much safer compared to gasoline, and like E85 unless do proper tuning it will hurt performance. 

1 hour ago, transam said:

The only problem I have read about using LPG is increased cylinder head temperature which may cause a problem with an engine design.

Recommendation to go 2 heat range colder plugs. If using NGK the bigger number is colder. All others the smaller number colder.

And as said Iridium style increases life.

4 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Recommendation to go 2 heat range colder plugs. If using NGK the bigger number is colder. All others the smaller number colder.

Yep, I used NGK plugs in my fun ride, never a ploblem using there stock plug even using N2O, though with N2O l used short tip..:smile:

2 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Plugs have nothing to do with engine life - only plug life. The issue with engine life on conversions is whether the valve seats have been hardened to accommodate the higher burn temperatures of LPG and CNG. Some engines have been modified by the manufacturers with that in mind, others haven't. Reputable installers know which engines are suitable for conversion.

On 1/8/2018 at 9:11 PM, canthai55 said:

LPG tank inspection required every 5 years here.

Gotta love people who post incorrect info - do your homework.

I would question that, as you are usually correct please state where it says 5 years   ... Our 20 year old Lantis has to be inspected every year prior to issue of road tax... The LPG tank was changed after 10 years ... They can't inspect or pressure test it in situ, well I think they can't ... 

5 hours ago, JAS21 said:

I would question that, as you are usually correct please state where it says 5 years   ... Our 20 year old Lantis has to be inspected every year prior to issue of road tax... The LPG tank was changed after 10 years ... They can't inspect or pressure test it in situ, well I think they can't ... 

hi we have own the honda city now for 5 years from new never had the tank tested. we paid the tax every year and insurance  in aus its 10 years so i never worry about it now i going to ask

On 1/14/2018 at 10:39 AM, JAS21 said:

Sorry Mr Canthai ... I found this in our Mazda file ... has to be inspected every 5 years ... changing is at 10 years. Seems that the LTO or 'whoever' were a little lax at year five with the last tank. However I do wonder what the inspection entails ....

New_20180117_102514_001.thumb.jpg.61e5aa7f1129479774f000fde3525fb7.jpg