September 5, 20188 yr 1 hour ago, Kinnock said: That's a good question. We've only used 4WD once since buying it, and that was due to a spectacular failure of Google Maps that led us into a muddy track up a steep hill. We also left it in 'Auto' mode once on a long trip, and it had a major impact on the fuel consumption - so 2WD mode is it standard state for 99.9% of its use. I also think the 2WD X-Trail is spectacular value for money. But having said all that - I'd still go for 4WD again if I was buying today (and I'd also still go for an X-Trail as there's still nothing in the sector to beat it in my view). Why 4WD? Well I could say that it was very useful the one time we really needed the extra traction - but I'm pretty sure 2WD would have been OK with a bit of sliding and wheel spinning. The real reason is that the 4WD just makes it a 'proper' SUV in my mind. Not logical, there's cost and weight implications, but I just like to know it's there if I really needed it. I also think resale may be better. Thanks for replying and for your message. I'm favouring the 2wd version as we never use 4wd on our fortuner, but the wife reckons a 4wd version of the xtrail will be easier to sell on and will hold its value better than the 2wd but i have no idea if her theory is correct or not.
September 5, 20188 yr Author 1 minute ago, Bredbury Blue said: Thanks for replying and for your message. I'm favouring the 2wd version as we never use 4wd on our fortuner, but the wife reckons a 4wd version of the xtrail will be easier to sell on and will hold its value better than the 2wd but i have no idea if her theory is correct or not. The 2WD is the best value new. The odd thing is I've never seen a 2WD drive X-Trail on the road in Thailand, but I've seen loads in Europe.
Create an account or sign in to comment