Three charged for death of Japanese tourist slashed by dive boat propeller

snoop1130

Three charged for death of Japanese tourist slashed by dive boat propeller

The Phuket News

1515405207_1-org.jpg

Police officers, including Tourist Police and Forensic Police, investigate Ms Saori’s death at the scene off Koh Tachai in the Similan Islands National Park in Phang Nga on Friday (Jan 5). Photo: Tourist Police

PHUKET:-- Three people have been charged for the death of a Japanese tourist who was struck by a tour boat propeller during her first-ever dive at Koh Tachai in the Similan Islands National Park last Thursday (Jan 4).

“All three men – the boat captain, the dive instructor and the tour guide – have been charged for recklessness causing grievous bodily harm and death,” Capt Ekkachai Siri of the Phuket Tourist Police told The Phuket News today (Jan 8).

“The Kuraburi Police (in Phang Nga) are currently considering other charges,” he added.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/three-charged-for-death-of-japanese-tourist-slashed-by-dive-boat-propeller-65455.php#cBKvJFzO9EupbS2z.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-1-8

" The tour company’s insurance provider has paid B1 million as compensation for Ms Saori’s death, Capt Ekkachai confirmed."

The cost of a human life in Thailand has gone up. We are worth a new pick-up truck now. Good to know.

RIP Japanese lady who was killed by the dive instructor who lost track of her during her first dive in the ocean and the MORON who started the engine while there was even one person in the water. They are totally responsible for her death. Where was her dive "buddy"? No one should ever dive alone or be allowed to be separated from the group.

Edited by NCC1701A

Every time I read about divers getting killed after being struck by a propeller I wonder about the competence of the person in control of the vessel.  This time, everything appears slightly different because it was the operator of the dive boat that has been seen to have been at fault.  In other countries, it is usual for the dive boat to display an international flag showing that divers are down.  Here I do not now as I have not dived in Thailand.  Also, in other countries, those in control of a boat usually have to obtain a permit or licence to operate any kind of motorised boat which includes knowing about the restrictions concerning being near dive boats

10 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

Every time I read about divers getting killed after being struck by a propeller I wonder about the competence of the person in control of the vessel.  This time, everything appears slightly different because it was the operator of the dive boat that has been seen to have been at fault.  In other countries, it is usual for the dive boat to display an international flag showing that divers are down.  Here I do not now as I have not dived in Thailand.  Also, in other countries, those in control of a boat usually have to obtain a permit or licence to operate any kind of motorised boat which includes knowing about the restrictions concerning being near dive boats

Sadly we assume, rightly or wrongly, that Thailand (never colonised) has adopted the safety rules and Standards of more experienced countries.

This would/should cover everything from electricity standards to that of sport and commercial diving.

Are there such publications as "Thai Standards"?  e.g.  U.S. Occupational Health and Safety Standards, Australia and NZ Standards, UK "Kite" mark for standards.

22 minutes ago, masuk said:

Sadly we assume, rightly or wrongly, that Thailand (never colonised) has adopted the safety rules and Standards of more experienced countries.

This would/should cover everything from electricity standards to that of sport and commercial diving.

Are there such publications as "Thai Standards"?  e.g.  U.S. Occupational Health and Safety Standards, Australia and NZ Standards, UK "Kite" mark for standards.

Yes there are Thai standards,TISI.

Sadly they are not very effective.

For example look at the mains plugs and sockets, no existence of strain relief for flexible cables connected to plugs or flexible power boards.

Look at domestic main switches, most are knife switches and are still available, but they are known to be very dangerous.

“Yoshida Saori, died from blood loss after she suffered multiple deep lacerations to her right thigh” https://www.thephuketnews.com/three-charged-for-death-of-japanese-tourist-slashed-by-dive-boat-propeller-65455.php#tDsZiTdwMxX5Bf9e.97

A good battle type dressing, tourniquet or femoral pressure would have saved her life. Aren't these boats supplied with first aid kits and personnel trained to do the most simple life saving medical tasks?

A CPR/First Aid certificate should be required for all crew. (A real certification by Red Cross International, not some back room bullsh1t)

“Yoshida Saori, died from blood loss after she suffered multiple deep lacerations to her right thigh” https://www.thephuketnews.com/three-charged-for-death-of-japanese-tourist-slashed-by-dive-boat-propeller-65455.php#tDsZiTdwMxX5Bf9e.97

A good battle type dressing, tourniquet or femoral pressure would have saved her life. Aren't these boats supplied with first aid kits and personnel trained to do the most simple life saving medical tasks?

A CPR/First Aid certificate should be required for all crew. (A real certification by Red Cross International, not some back room bullsh1t)

I doubt they are geared up for that. Diving is great when things go right but you just got to hope nothing goes wrong.

Here's an example, to do open water you usually need a medical certificate, this really proves nothing and probably costs 100+ baht. If you've got an undiagnosed hole in the heart (1 in 4 have) then you can get the bends even on shallow dives, most people incl instructors are unware of that.