A good out of the box linux laptop from Lazada?

BuffaloRescue

Hi

I haven't  installed linux before.

Im looking for a linux laptop with a gui etc thats ready to go out of the box. 

I had linux on a laptop before that my friend installed for me but some stuff didn't work such as the volume control on the keyboard and other stuff that wasn't compatible.

Can you make any recommendation for a high quality linux laptop around under 30k baht that works out of the box with full linux distribution installed (not just a command line thing)

Linux noob here, what do I want to get started. 

You can run Linux on any pc, if you have a old one laying about, why not try and install on that?
Then if successful you can go and get your laptop.

Having said that, I'm pretty sure that any decent IT store will install one for you on a new laptop.

You can also have multiple OS on one device. Just by making more partitions and dual boot.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If I not have old information, Lenovo is the only laptop manufacturer, which certifies some of their laptops to work with Linux. However the Lenovo laptops are quite crap these days.

I personally have not have any laptop, which has not worked with Linux. Some of them have required doing some tricks, but that was 5 years ago. I'd assume things are better now.

Installing Linux, for example Ubuntu, is very easy to do. You just need a USB disk with Linux image. After starting the computer from that USB-disk, you just need to follow the graphical installation procedure. The Linux will do the rest and in the future will update the software pretty much automatically.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRescue said:

Yup, thanks. I just want one where I know the trackpad and keyboard and function buttons gonna work properly.

I could install linux myself. Whats a good linux version for a noob?

Go with one of the big ones. That way you'll easily get information and help, in case you need. 

Ubuntu (also Kubuntu, Lubuntu etc.) or for example Linux Mint (which I personally don't have experience).

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 5567 from Lazada several months ago. It was supposed to come with Ubuntu installed, but actually had windows 10 installed. I installed Linux Mint on it myself, having received good advice from some members here. (see my post in the Linux forum).  All the function buttons, trackpad, and mouse work with no problems using Linux Mint.

I'd suggest trying LIVE distributions first that run off a boot memory stick and see which flavor of Linux suits you best.

Also highly suggest you take an complete IMAGE of your current laptop drive setup (and create a rescue boot USB) before trying to create a dual-boot environment.

Personally, I use the Oracle VM VirtualBox application running in Windows to run other Operating Systems simultaneously along side Windows. I only boot directly into other operating systems as the primary and only OS when I need all the resources or a secure environment.

Keyboard functionality is usually done through a keyboard monitoring/function-button application. Whether your keyboard is supported will depend on the distribution of Linux detecting and supporting your version of hardware. That's where the LIVE boot distributions will come in handy for testing.

1 hour ago, RichCor said:

I'd suggest trying LIVE distributions first

Very good suggestion. There are so many flavours of Linux out there it's hard to decide what's best for you. The option to load the OS from a memory stick or CD is one of Linux's advantages.

On 1/10/2018 at 1:22 PM, Forkinhades said:

^^^^ sorry just seen the Lazada in first line.

To the best of my knowledge pc's are shipped without OS here.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Chuwi laptops are sold with legal Windows 10 on Lazada as have bought one.  Very good value.  If you ask for Linux they list 197 items available under traditional laptops.

https://www.lazada.co.th/shop-traditional-laptops/chuwi/

https://www.lazada.co.th/shop-traditional-laptops/?ppath=30171:139111

Edited by lopburi3