best 5ghz router ??

stupidfarang

OP, are you aware that 5GHz is faster but give less range, 2.4 GHz is slower but gives better range. A 2.4 GHz router would probably give stronger signal to more of your house. 

5ghz is faster because less users and combining channels etc, if the 2.4ghz spectrum is empty were you live it will also give high speeds and better coverage.

3 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

the fiber comes straight to the router

Generally, fiber optic modem/routers can't be replaced. They do 'conversion' from Fiber to Ethernet, encrypt and decrypt your local traffic between you and your service provider, and is electronically assigned to your billing account. So that piece of gear has to stay.

But you still have options.

As Forkinhades wrote, you can add an additional Wired Access Point (WiFi Access Point). This would be an additional WiFi point cabled back to your Internet Provider's fiber router. It could share the same WiFi name/pass of the original or have a different WiFi name/pass. Whatever, and where ever, you need to put it.

You could add a Wireless Access Point/Extender. Similar to the above, but it uses an existing WiFi Access Point to receive and send-on the wireless WiFi traffic (...usually at a cost of decreased speed, as the same radio channel is used to receive and retransmit again the original signal in both directions).

Yet another option would be WiFi "HomePlug"/"Powerline" adapters. These typically use your existing electrical wiring as a 'bridge' to convey Ethernet LAN signals, allowing you to place another WiFi Access Point anywhere you have an electrical outlet.  

If you really want to ditch the built-in WiFi that comes with the Internet Provider router you can disable it and connect your own WiFi Access Point -- be it a 2.4, 5 GHz, or even dual-band device. One having external movable antennas is usually better.

If you feel you really want or need total control of the router functions you can usually have the Internet Provider disable their router (by placing it in Bit or Bridge Mode) and connect your own high-end router to do whatever you need ( WiFi, VPN, Port Forwarding, ...whatever)

But as already said, just moving to 5GHz won't typically improve your WiFi coverage (unless your existing 2.4GHz coverage has issues from local network congestion, interference from neighboring 2.4 WiFi, 2.4GHz wireless cameras, 2.4 GHz etc, etc. and 5GHz is the only alternative to those.

5 hours ago, RichCor said:

Generally, fiber optic modem/routers can't be replaced. They do 'conversion' from Fiber to Ethernet, encrypt and decrypt your local traffic between you and your service provider, and is electronically assigned to your billing account. So that piece of gear has to stay.

But you still have options.

As Forkinhades wrote, you can add an additional Wired Access Point (WiFi Access Point). This would be an additional WiFi point cabled back to your Internet Provider's fiber router. It could share the same WiFi name/pass of the original or have a different WiFi name/pass. Whatever, and where ever, you need to put it.

You could add a Wireless Access Point/Extender. Similar to the above, but it uses an existing WiFi Access Point to receive and send-on the wireless WiFi traffic (...usually at a cost of decreased speed, as the same radio channel is used to receive and retransmit again the original signal in both directions).

Yet another option would be WiFi "HomePlug"/"Powerline" adapters. These typically use your existing electrical wiring as a 'bridge' to convey Ethernet LAN signals, allowing you to place another WiFi Access Point anywhere you have an electrical outlet.  

If you really want to ditch the built-in WiFi that comes with the Internet Provider router you can disable it and connect your own WiFi Access Point -- be it a 2.4, 5 GHz, or even dual-band device. One having external movable antennas is usually better.

If you feel you really want or need total control of the router functions you can usually have the Internet Provider disable their router (by placing it in Bit or Bridge Mode) and connect your own high-end router to do whatever you need ( WiFi, VPN, Port Forwarding, ...whatever)

But as already said, just moving to 5GHz won't typically improve your WiFi coverage (unless your existing 2.4GHz coverage has issues from local network congestion, interference from neighboring 2.4 WiFi, 2.4GHz wireless cameras, 2.4 GHz etc, etc. and 5GHz is the only alternative to those.

3bb tec guys who cam out the other day said the router they supply is only 2.4 GHZ and recommend that I get 5ghz. 3bb can supply or I can buy from elsewhere. I just want to improve the wifi coverage in the house and with 5ghz this hopefully would do the trick. Thank you for your input and advice, it is appreciated. 

4 hours ago, Air Smiles said:

Most decent routers these days have both: 2.4 GHz & 5GHz

3bb tec guys who came out the other day said the router they supply is only 2.4 GHZ , if I want 5ghz I need to buy. The wifi is fast and am happy with it but the downstairs coverage is not the best that is why I think I need 5ghz for better coverage. Thanks for your input

7 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

3bb tec guys who came out the other day said the router they supply is only 2.4 GHZ , if I want 5ghz I need to buy. The wifi is fast and am happy with it but the downstairs coverage is not the best that is why I think I need 5ghz for better coverage. Thanks for your input

If the router has external antennas try laying them down flat and see if that helps.  Or if it doesn't have external antennas (but has internal antennas) then try laying the WiFi Router on it's side to produce the same effect.

10 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

If extending wi-fi coverage is your only concern then you could consider something like: TP-LINK TL-WR802N

Once its setup, you simply place it halfway between your router and the area of weak signal.

20 hours ago, RichCor said:

If the router has external antennas try laying them down flat and see if that helps.  Or if it doesn't have external antennas (but has internal antennas) then try laying the WiFi Router on it's side to produce the same effect.

will try, thank you

3 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

The best?

Asus ROG Rapture Wireless-AC5300 Tri-Band Gaming Router (GT-AC5300)

Yes looks great but at 15,000thb it is a high price when I do not play computer games, will look for something a bit cheaper. But thank you for the  info

22 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

Yes looks great but at 15,000thb it is a high price when I do not play computer games, will look for something a bit cheaper. But thank you for the  info

You can get the 'standard' version for around 11k (Lazada) - ASUS RT-AC5300 Wireless-AC5300 (RT-AC5300).

Asus do seem to be the bee's knees for routers at the moment. For a smaller outlay, something like the ASUS RT-AC1300UHP would probably be good for most needs.

27 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

3bb stores have an extender but the support people on the phone don't know about it.  Go to the store and they will fix you up in a minute for under 2000 baht

dlink router.jpg

dlink.jpg

47 minutes ago, MeggaFakka said:

I am renting an apartment with 3bb wifi installed. I was wanting to switch the modem/router with an asus unit and add a vpn to the router to shift my location to the UK. Is this possible?

Thanks for any advice.

Yes - check to be sure for the model, but most Asus routers include VPN client capability - so once setup, all your wifi connections on any number of devices will go through your chosen VPN.

17 minutes ago, coops said:

Yes - check to be sure for the model, but most Asus routers include VPN client capability - so once setup, all your wifi connections on any number of devices will go through your chosen VPN.

I called my VPN to check and they informed me in a few hours that the old router I had would not work

22 minutes ago, coops said:

Thank you. I will make sure the router has VPN client capability. Will there be any difficulty going through the 3bb network?

Any advice/experience much appreciated

1 minute ago, MeggaFakka said:

Thank you. I will make sure the router has VPN client capability. Will there be any difficulty going through the 3bb network?

Any advice/experience much appreciated

Mine would not work with my old 3bb router.  I got a new one yesterday and I haven't called them about it yet

5Ghz has less range and worse penetration through walls and floors.

We have just had fibre installed by AIS and the supplied dual-band ZTE router is excellent.

We have a large building so have an Edimax connected by LAN for the other end which also works very well in Access Point mode.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2018 at 1:13 PM, The Fat Controller said:

5Ghz has less range and worse penetration through walls and floors.

We have just had fibre installed by AIS and the supplied dual-band ZTE router is excellent.

We have a large building so have an Edimax connected by LAN for the other end which also works very well in Access Point mode.

Thank you for the info, I like the idea so will check out the Edimax, just seen this one online 

Edimax 5-in-1 N150 Wi-Fi Router, Access Point, ange Extender, Wi-Fi Bridge & WISP (BR-6228nS V3)

1,050.-
Stock Status: 1-3 days
Key Specifications
  • Wireless N150

ImageHandler.ashx?Oid=4f1b330b-2269-48f9-9f5d-6ee80f639bd7&Table=Manufacturer&Column=Img&maxWidth=240&maxHeight=150
SKU:#027812 Product No.:BR-6228NS V3 Short link:http://i.nvade.it/7eA See specifications from the manufacturer
ImageHandlerInt.ashx?Oid=27812&Table=ProductBase&Column=Image&maxSize=440
ImageHandlerInt.ashx?Oid=27812&Table=ProductBase&Column=Image2&maxSize=440
ImageHandlerInt.ashx?Oid=27812&Table=ProductBase&Column=Image3&maxSize=440
ImageHandlerInt.ashx?Oid=27812&Table=ProductBase&Column=Image&maxSize=100
ImageHandlerInt.ashx?Oid=27812&Table=ProductBase&Column=Image2&maxSize=100

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 7:47 PM, Peterw42 said:

OP, are you aware that 5GHz is faster but give less range, 2.4 GHz is slower but gives better range. A 2.4 GHz router would probably give stronger signal to more of your house. 

5ghz is faster because less users and combining channels etc, if the 2.4ghz spectrum is empty were you live it will also give high speeds and better coverage.

Yes, the 5GHz range is dismally poor!

If coverage is your issue?... can you hard wire a second router from the first and place the second on the other floor... or look for a router that is designed to be wirelessly linked to a second router... I have a Apple AirPort Extreme base and two Airport Express mini routers all linked to the base wirelessly to give me WiFi on all the property...

Edited by sfokevin

9 hours ago, sfokevin said:

If coverage is your issue?... can you hard wire a second router from the first and place the second on the other floor... or look for a router that is designed to be wirelessly linked to a second router... I have a Apple AirPort Extreme base and two Airport Express mini routers all linked to the base wirelessly to give me WiFi on all the property...

Yes that is what I am going to do, buy another router and hardwire it downstairs. I think this is the best answer.