Invisible "smart line" just another way for police to extract money, say angry Thais online

webfact

20 hours ago, worgeordie said:

" they should put in a barrier.", where they would be forever crashing into it,

Thai's make up their own lines on the road,2 lines become 3, 4 lines become 6,

regards Worgeordie

Quite true and in addition, unless it is a solid continuous barrier the Thai's will squeeze through any gaps in the barrier to get their own way.

On 1/11/2018 at 1:39 PM, jossthaifarang said:

There is a solid line on the road directly under the red line in the video, if they cant obey simple road rules they should pay!

What color is the "solid line?" I mean, as if that mattered... In San Patong, there is a solid yellow line painted through an intersection, with said intersection having a right turn green light arrow thingie. So what does a solid line mean in Thailand, whether yellow, white, or red? What does it mean when you're on a very rural highway between Taphan Hin and Petchabun, come over a very slight rise in the highway, and see a 40KPH sign, complete with the "camera enforced" emblem, in an otherwise 90KPH zone, one house nearby? What does it mean when you're in Kalasin, and the road is clearly painted with "U-Turn OK" arrow, while a small "No U-Turn" sign has been mounted adjacent, and there's a cop trying to give tickets for illegal U-turns? What does it mean when a cop tells you to go the wrong way on the side of Phetchaburi Road in Bangkok? What does it mean when there's a dashed line going across a bridge? Passing OK, you say? What does it mean when some (but not all?) bridges over the river in Bangkok are prohibited to motorbikes and motorcycles (or flyovers, for that matter)? My motorcycle has a lot more power than a good many automobiles. Why am I not permitted to ride on the tollways? What does it mean when plotting your way into and out of Bangkok on a motorcycle is a f r i g g i n' (really, TV?) science project? Does declaring the time honored tradition of motorbikes parking or riding on the sidewalks unlawful somehow improve the flow of Bangkok traffic, and/or make more parking spaces available? What do you mean, motorcycles can't go around Bangkok city buses on the right side? No passengers riding on the rear bench seat in extended cab pickups? Then why the hell did the government allow for extended cab pickups with rear bench seats to be sold in the country for the past several decades? Motorbikes and motorcycles must stay to the left of the road? And hey... There's a motorbike lane! And suddenly, out of the middle of nowhere one dark rainy night, that motorbike lane is interrupted by a bridge abutment?

All of which is just to say that roadways in Thailand are typically not thought out. They are, in fact, often quite unsafe (consider 4-6 lane highway 12, swooping through curves in the mountains north of Phetchabun, with nothing but a double yellow line protecting you from oncoming traffic blasting through the curves). And so traffic laws, too, are not thought out. Indeed, they are extremely arbitrary, momentary, commonly misunderstood (do the cops think that a green right turn arrow that comes on sometimes, but is not accompanied by a red right turn arrow (green arrow only) means that people can't turn right even when there is no green arrow? What do the cops think of that solid yellow line painted through an intersection, with a right turn arrow to go with it? What does that solid yellow line teach Thai drivers, licensed or otherwise, aside from the fact that solid yellow lines are meaningless? And especially out on that country road, where the cops have painted over the occasional yellow dashed line with 50KM of solid yellow line through an area of constantly overloaded pickups.), unenforced unless a checkpoint or camera can do the job, and strictly and immediately authoritarian.

Personally, I very much prefer "Jai Yen Yen" law enforcement (as opposed to say, US SWAT teams). Failing that, then the country's (increasingly Draconian?) roads, laws and enforcement need to make sense uniformly. That is not the case at present.

I'm with the Thai people here... You don't give tickets to people for having to deal with roadways that are discovered to have been poorly designed. You fix the roadways so that tickets are not necessary.

Edited by RedQualia

On 1/11/2018 at 9:18 AM, overherebc said:

I still can't see lines on the road, only an overlay on the recording. There might be a dotted white line but it's not clear on the recording.

Confused.

I thought ONLY a solid  white  line meant you couldn't  cross even within chevrons a broken line around them still means you can cross into the chevroned area.

2 hours ago, RedQualia said:

What color is the "solid line?" I mean, as if that mattered... In San Patong, there is a solid yellow line painted through an intersection, with said intersection having a right turn green light arrow thingie. So what does a solid line mean in Thailand, whether yellow, white, or red? What does it mean when you're on a very rural highway between Taphan Hin and Petchabun, come over a very slight rise in the highway, and see a 40KPH sign, complete with the "camera enforced" emblem, in an otherwise 90KPH zone, one house nearby? What does it mean when you're in Kalasin, and the road is clearly painted with "U-Turn OK" arrow, while a small "No U-Turn" sign has been mounted adjacent, and there's a cop trying to give tickets for illegal U-turns? What does it mean when a cop tells you to go the wrong way on the side of Phetchaburi Road in Bangkok? What does it mean when there's a dashed line going across a bridge? Passing OK, you say? What does it mean when some (but not all?) bridges over the river in Bangkok are prohibited to motorbikes and motorcycles (or flyovers, for that matter)? My motorcycle has a lot more power than a good many automobiles. Why am I not permitted to ride on the tollways? What does it mean when plotting your way into and out of Bangkok on a motorcycle is a f r i g g i n' (really, TV?) science project? Does declaring the time honored tradition of motorbikes parking or riding on the sidewalks unlawful somehow improve the flow of Bangkok traffic, and/or make more parking spaces available? What do you mean, motorcycles can't go around Bangkok city buses on the right side? No passengers riding on the rear bench seat in extended cab pickups? Then why the hell did the government allow for extended cab pickups with rear bench seats to be sold in the country for the past several decades? Motorbikes and motorcycles must stay to the left of the road? And hey... There's a motorbike lane! And suddenly, out of the middle of nowhere one dark rainy night, that motorbike lane is interrupted by a bridge abutment?

All of which is just to say that roadways in Thailand are typically not thought out. They are, in fact, often quite unsafe (consider 4-6 lane highway 12, swooping through curves in the mountains north of Phetchabun, with nothing but a double yellow line protecting you from oncoming traffic blasting through the curves). And so traffic laws, too, are not thought out. Indeed, they are extremely arbitrary, momentary, commonly misunderstood (do the cops think that a green right turn arrow that comes on sometimes, but is not accompanied by a red right turn arrow (green arrow only) means that people can't turn right even when there is no green arrow? What do the cops think of that solid yellow line painted through an intersection, with a right turn arrow to go with it? What does that solid yellow line teach Thai drivers, licensed or otherwise, aside from the fact that solid yellow lines are meaningless? And especially out on that country road, where the cops have painted over the occasional yellow dashed line with 50KM of solid yellow line through an area of constantly overloaded pickups.), unenforced unless a checkpoint or camera can do the job, and strictly and immediately authoritarian.

Personally, I very much prefer "Jai Yen Yen" law enforcement (as opposed to say, US SWAT teams). Failing that, then the country's (increasingly Draconian?) roads, laws and enforcement need to make sense uniformly. That is not the case at present.

I'm with the Thai people here... You don't give tickets to people for having to deal with roadways that are discovered to have been poorly designed. You fix the roadways so that tickets are not necessary.

It extends  way  beyond  road  laws  also.

7 hours ago, RedQualia said:

Bloody hell mate, you must have too much time on your hands?