Airport Food Too Pricey? Don’t Eat There: Tourism Minister

webfact

On 1/11/2018 at 4:34 PM, namoi said:

I always use the magic food court only problem is you have to you leave your baggage troll outside if you have 1.

Sent from my CPH1707 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I suppose you could check in and then head on down there and hopefully not have too much carry on to require a trolley. Not likely with travelling families though is it?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/01/2018 at 3:09 PM, webfact said:

The new top tourism official had some straight talk for anyone unhappy about airport food prices: Don’t eat at the airport.

It occurs to me to wonder, might the Tourism Minister ever say, "If you find Thailand too expensive these days, then just don't come here" ? :whistling::cool:

12 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Going to have to embellish upon that for me. 

Perhaps the incoming flight may have been delayed en-route. Imagine that you have checked in on time and find that you are airside and the flight is delayed perhaps 6 hours.

I don't think that you are allowed to go to the groundside after passing through customs and immigration. You will surely be hungry if you have to wait another 6 hours.

haha .... some pretty amusing and interesting replies to this thread. One guy even said he was giving up flying altogether because he was pissed off with plastic cutlery, and cattle class elbow room.

Thai Airways cattle class gives you stainless steel cutlery for the in-flight meals, which always makes me giggle, as before boarding I've been X-rayed at least twice for hidden weapons etc, then bugger me ..... TA gives me a knife to play with once I'm airborne.

But seriously .... everyone on the planet knows that airports are expensive, so I must agree with the honourable Tourism Minister. If you must eat, then expect premium prices at airports.

In the old days, passengers could get a decent local meal at an affordable price. Now it's just horrible, and really expensive. So mr Tourism Minister, we will take your advise and not eat at old Swampy. If everybody did this, I'd imagine he would have another opinion !

I would continue my smiling, deny your next booking, we are sorry no more rooms left. From you side, you easily can checkout anytime and look for another hotel.    

Especially in Asian countries, you should stop the way, I pay for it, I have the right, can expect the same as it is in my home-country.....

On 1/11/2018 at 3:25 AM, tonray said:

There is Magic Point Food Court at SuvarnaBhumi that offers traditional Thai fare at cheap prices. No reason to spend too much.

It is not "traditional" It is institutional and downright unpalatable. Yes it's cheap, but that low cost comes  at a cost" quality and flavour. I have tried to eat some of the goop and it always gets binned. The food options upstairs are more expensive but they are edible.

1 hour ago, blubb said:

I would continue my smiling, deny your next booking, we are sorry no more rooms left. From you side, you easily can checkout anytime and look for another hotel.    

Especially in Asian countries, you should stop the way, I pay for it, I have the right, can expect the same as it is in my home-country.....

Thailand is my home country!

The tourism minister is spot on correct.

Free water inside cheap food court available outside then complain about a 40 Baht bottle before flying off to a country where it costs 4 or 5 dollars in an airport. Perhaps the moaners should just stay in their country if they cannot afford to travel? Last time at BKK I gave Dean and Deluca a pass as the queue was so long filled with people "angry with high food and drink prices".