what's going on with the Thai Baht

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Rangerdriver said:

It was 52 Pre-Brexit Vote and its the lack of Brexit thats kept it down. If only people stopped voting Tory or Labour eh?

Maybe UK coup d'etat would do the trick ? hasn't done Thailand any harm.

13 hours ago, Rangerdriver said:

You get twice as many THB to GBP now than you did in 1981 so things could be a lot worse

Rubbish!

In 1981 the Baht was pegged to the US Dollar which gave an effective GBP/THB rate of around 22, later 25, after the Baht/Dollar peg was dropped the rate soared to over 90.

16 hours ago, Rangerdriver said:

You get twice as many THB to GBP now than you did in 1981 so things could be a lot worse

The rates during 1981 are somewhat similar to the current rates - around the low Bt40's to GBP. Where they really dropped was during 1984 when rates went below Bt30 to GBP, lowest being around Bt27 during Sep/Oct 1984.

I started visiting Thailand from 1981 onwards and well remember the low rates in 1984. However, the big difference, for me, was that prices in Thailand were cheap and I was earning good money in Saudi at that time!!

A good source for historic exchange rates is:

http://fxtop.com/en/historical-exchange-rates.php?A=1&C1=GBP&C2=THB&MA=1&DD1=01&MM1=01&YYYY1=1980&B=1&P=&I=1&DD2=31&MM2=12&YYYY2=1985&btnOK=Go!

Im not very good at money, exept for wasting it.!. But i have noticed a Thai Bhts useless outside Thailand, must be linked to a Russian Rubblie thing.Not even China seems very keen unless theres a Skip Full. Oh, i foregot, there is for nackered old War Surplus Subs.

On 1/11/2018 at 4:13 PM, soalbundy said:

That's what I thought at first as well but even the Euro is under pressure against the Baht

the Aussie dollar is going down, down for months guess we can blame Trump for that also  but funny thing it started before Trump came into office 

18 minutes ago, johnarth said:

the Aussie dollar is going down, down for months guess we can blame Trump for that also  but funny thing it started before Trump came into office 

maybe the FX could smell him. The AUD is strongly reliant on China as well isn't it ? All that coal nobody wants now and a surplus of iron ore, my sister has a big cattle farm in QL, say's she works her butt off for nothing.

On 1/11/2018 at 3:40 PM, tonray said:

Trump is killing me..........only a short time ago.....36 to the dollar...now 32.......idiot

Come on now.   We're in the same boat.

It was merely a flash in the pan that the USD was trading @ 36/thb well before the current POTUS arrived on the scene

As mysterious as it seems,  I think the USD has held up  far better  against the Thai Bhat than most other Western currencies.

maybe the FX could smell him. The AUD is strongly reliant on China as well isn't it ? All that coal nobody wants now and a surplus of iron ore, my sister has a big cattle farm in QL, say's she works her butt off for nothing.

Well, at least she’s trimming her butt down...

On 8/31/2018 at 12:26 AM, Rangerdriver said:

Must be costing a lot to fix all the damage done by Obama.

Yes I'm sure Trump considers all the American expats when he is making huge financial decisions that effect the US economy. What do you reckon? By the way most blacks now have a job so they are relatively happy, that is if they aren't shooting each other. 

Yes I'm sure Trump considers all the American expats when he is making huge financial decisions that effect the US economy. What do you reckon? By the way most blacks now have a job so they are relatively happy, that is if they aren't shooting each other. 

Most blacks in the US have always had jobs.

9 hours ago, Franko666 said:

Especially when you desert your native Country for some junta!!!

Who is to say that a junta in Thailand is worse than a Trump in America, a Putin in Russia or anything similar.......don't concern yourself with the things in life you can't change.

11 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Who is to say that a junta in Thailand is worse than a Trump in America, a Putin in Russia or anything similar.......don't concern yourself with the things in life you can't change.

You forgot mention T. May, Merkel & Macron and many others. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Food exporting country versus industrial countries.. 

World population explodes and here we go, every mouth need to be fed.

As long Thailand is smart producing, importing, packing and exporting food as a main Income the Western countries will slide slowly into the 3rd world status.

Time will tell but sure not those fruitcakes that have the power in Europe and the States.. 

They are way too busy to rip the life out of their citizens as to realize there is not enough food in their own countries.

The next step will be, that Trump and Ferkel will increase taxes on imported Thai (Asian) products and the Thai government will just close the fridge with a friendly smile and respond with an increasing of the fodder prices and no worries, the price will be paid, soon or later..  

Lets look at the exchange rates then...   

On 1/11/2018 at 12:40 AM, tonray said:

Trump is killing me..........only a short time ago.....36 to the dollar...now 32.......idiot

NOT defending Trump here, far from it! However, it hasn't been 36 baht to the dollar since 2017. It was a good year in 2016, THEN the REALITY of what the pussy-grabber-in-chief was up to, and it's been in a downward slump ever since.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/bank-of-england-spot/historical-spot-exchange-rates/usd/USD-to-THB

11 hours ago, See Will said:

They are way too busy to rip the life out of their citizens as to realize there is not enough food in their own countries.

The US is well capable of feeding itself. There is a difference between growing enough food to feed your population (which the US can) and importing fancies from all over the world.

14 hours ago, See Will said:

Food exporting country versus industrial countries.. 

World population explodes and here we go, every mouth need to be fed.

As long Thailand is smart producing, importing, packing and exporting food as a main Income the Western countries will slide slowly into the 3rd world status.

Time will tell but sure not those fruitcakes that have the power in Europe and the States.. 

The next step will be, that Trump and Ferkel will increase taxes on imported Thai (Asian) products and the Thai government will just close the fridge with a friendly smile and respond with an increasing of the fodder prices and no worries, the price will be paid, soon or later..  

Lets look at the exchange rates then...   

So much for that theory:  

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-food-security/

Archived