Buying a workstation standard laptop online - Thailand or Amazon imported?

MJKT2014

My current laptop will soon need replacing and I'm thinking of something like a Dell Precision or HP ZBook or anything someone can recommend? Needs to be 17 inch FHD screen (don't need higher res) as places I will go need a big screen and don't always have access to external monitor. Must be Win10 also as software runs on that. Budget no more than 2000USD ideally. I don't really want a Thai keyboard but could put up with it if needed. I'm not a gamer but need high power for browsing large data sets at work and some GIS and database apps.

Anyone bought similar online and where is a good place to buy these days for this class laptop? My current laptop is 7 years old and I bought it on Amazon thro Shipito all those years ago as I didn't like local products at the time, but the market here seems to have improved somewhat?

See if you can't find something suitable or get a recommendation here:

http://invadeit.co.th/category/notebooks-laptops/

Email or call first. Honest, competent, service-minded, English spoken, and surely have English keyboards. Prices are a little higher than elsewhere but I think you'll find them worth it. 

8 hours ago, JSixpack said:

See if you can't find something suitable or get a recommendation here:

Yes, a lot of good choices at that site and agree prices a little higher usually. I actually emailed them about keyboard issue a few months back and they responded quickly all keyboards came with Thai and nothing they could do about that.

Think I'm going to wait a bit until this Meltdown/Spectre plays out as it looks like my current laptop may become obsolete by it anyway, cannot see a new BIOS coming out for a 2nd gen Intel Core7 so don't want to fall into that trap again.

2 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Yes, a lot of good choices at that site and agree prices a little higher usually. I actually emailed them about keyboard issue a few months back and they responded quickly all keyboards came with Thai and nothing they could do about that.

Think I'm going to wait a bit until this Meltdown/Spectre plays out as it looks like my current laptop may become obsolete by it anyway, cannot see a new BIOS coming out for a 2nd gen Intel Core7 so don't want to fall into that trap again.

Ah. Of course you can just attach an external keyboard: a good backlit mechanical or ergonomic or both would be better anyway. :smile:

You don't sound too serious as the Meltdown/Spectre isn't anything to be worried about really. However, as a last word, I'll just throw this out there:

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=702&initiative_id=AS_20180112212322&SearchText=laptop

A cursory glance reveals some name brands like Asus, Acer, and MSI. English keyboards. I like the free shipping, have received several orders w/ no problem whatsoever.

Buying from Amazon will subject you to import duties, which I am not an expert on.

This (now very old) thread below touches on that subject.

These days, you should be able to find the hardware you want here in Thailand.

Software, however, is another matter entirely.

You need to be very careful to be sure you get legitimate, licensed software.

Something you may want to consider is a trip to another country in the region, like Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong.  Air Asia fares are cheap and a little bit of a holiday (or visa run).  Possibly wider selection, I'm sure there are online places to give you an idea of what's available, and for what cost.

It's been a few years since I was in Malaysia, but the selection was about the same as Thailand and without Thai characters on the keyboard.  Prices aren't very different either, within 10%.

When you return don't bring the packaging.  If you come into LOS with two laptops it may raise a few eyebrows though, something to consider.

Edited by bendejo

On 1/15/2018 at 5:54 AM, bendejo said:

Something you may want to consider is a trip to another country in the region, like Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong.  Air Asia fares are cheap and a little bit of a holiday (or visa run).  Possibly wider selection, I'm sure there are online places to give you an idea of what's available, and for what cost.

It's been a few years since I was in Malaysia, but the selection was about the same as Thailand and without Thai characters on the keyboard.  Prices aren't very different either, within 10%.

When you return don't bring the packaging.  If you come into LOS with two laptops it may raise a few eyebrows though, something to consider.

With the drop in the dollar, prices of laptops/tablets/phones in HK worth a serious look. Some prices can be checked here: https://www.price.com.hk/  (Note re pricing: Green is original, blue is grey imports)