Just setting out on retirement...want to get it right

Hello everyone, I am sure this question has come up a lot of times, apologies, but some the answers are and often contradicting, which I get, because times  change. 

Right I am ready to leave UK,  one way ticket, and have funds etc, and old enough,  for eventually applying for a Retirement Visa, which is the goal. 

I expect to arrive as early as 24th Jan, but really want to get the Visa correct to start.

I am being advised by a Visa Shop in Pattaya that I can apply via them for retirement visa with just a 30 day exemption visa. (Obviously I will have to pay for that

swift service, and that's fine, as long as it is actually possible) 

I can't actually find much to back this claim up, I have asked them twice to be sure, but I am still not convinced. I thought a 0 Visa was the best method. But obviously

a 30 day exemption is far easier, 

I am not bothered about going up to London, or even flying via another country for a few days to get O visa first. 

Thanks. 

Edited by hardblogger

Getting a single entry non-o visa would make things a lot easier. You would have to be 65 years old and on a pension to get it at the embassy or one of the consulates in the UK.

I would suggest getting single entry tourist visa if you cannot get the non-o visa.

Without a visa you may be asked to show a ticket out of the country within 30 days to board your flight to here.

It is possible do apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) with visa exempt or tourist visa entry. You must have at least 15 days remaining on your entry to apply for the visa. 

Which of the financial options will you be using to apply for the visa and extension of stay based upon retirement?

You could do it yourself instead of using an agent.

• Like 1

The best way in my opinion and I can only speak for Bangkok where there are no additional requirements, is to start as you mean to go on. A visa from London Embassy. If you are British. It takes about a week and costs only 50 pounds plus postage. It is usable for three months after issue. You will be stamped into the country with permission to stay for three months. During that time you open a bank account and deposit 800.000 Baht. After two months you apply for your extension for which you will need a letter from the bank, they know what to write, and photocopies of the relevant passport pages and bank book/s. You will then get a year added to your existing permission to stay.
The only complication I can see from my experience of this site is Pattaya. The fact that you have experience of this site and probably lived in pattaya on other visas, you may even have a place to stay which is not a hotel, all of which may mean that you won’t be allowed to “get it right”.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies, which do raise concern and other questions. 

So, unbonjoe,  My financial position is that I have just short of the amount required per month service pension, but will have well over the amount required in the bank. And Yes I understand I can do it myself. Not bothered about paying for a service if it makes my life easier though. But thanks. 

Tgeezer,  Yes that the route was thinking was the best (until I got told turn up with exemption, all will be ok) I have only been Thailand once before (extensive travel in Asia) but in Thailand I had a O Visa for 90 days, that was 5 years ago, so not a long history. 

Grego49 Hmmm thats a little worrying, probably a different thread required for that, if you can't open a bank account then you are stuffed. I can't believe this is the case, not disputing what you say about your mate, but perhaps he didn't hit their qualifying standards for some reason or another?  I have heard its hard to open an account, but still possible. But thanks for pointing that out. 

I have just seen ubonjoe’s answer and it occurs to me that you may have just got to the magic 50 age. No problem, you get your visa on financial status basis at London. I have just done mine but having a pension 100 GBP per week was what I used and backed it up with Thai Bank Accounts to qualify for the 800.000 requirement. If you can show plenty of money, ‘supplementary documents’ which the Embassy website mentions may be needed, show them. The impression I get from the website is that they expect those of us not having a pension to buy the more expensive Non Imm O-A visa which gives you twelve months in country initially and the ability to travel out and back. Each time you return you get a year’s stay. You will see from that a saving of several thousands of Baht in extension and re-entry fees which could be almost two years worth, if you leave and return in the final month of the first year.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Unfortunately (or maybe not for this) I have just reached the Magic 60 age. I have forces pension income £1300 a month and plenty of funds in UK bank account.  I think I will go up to  London go in one day and collect the next. 

My house is due to complete on 19th so can't really use that for mail after that date, could be close. So go up to

London on 22nd, Visa collect on 24th and fly 25th.  Simple solution I think. But willing to listen to others. 

• Like 1

Would stay away from the " VISA Shops."  You're going to have to do the dirty yourself...best... your own interest is safe.  If you do decide to go with a visa shop, shop around, get references... and hope for the best.. It is a crap shoot...

All the best.. Where are you planning to reside in LOS... have you started your language and culture training.. Have you buddies lined up?

• Like 1

Unfortunately (or maybe not for this) I have just reached the Magic 60 age. I have forces pension income £1300 a month and plenty of funds in UK bank account.  I think I will go up to  London go in one day and collect the next. 

My house is due to complete on 19th so can't really use that for mail after that date, could be close. So go up to

London on 22nd, Visa collect on 24th and fly 25th.  Simple solution I think. But willing to listen to others. 

I think that you can establish your bonefides well enough with that plan. I hope that you have looked at their website. The O-A looks quite good even if you don’t take advantage of the extra twelve months because the 90 day reports will be your only contact with Immigration for the first year.

Edit: I have just looked at the other replies. Play dumb, know as little about other people’s experiences as possible. I am ex military myself and you probably feel as I do that you can only do what is asked of you. The same applies to Immigration, if a visitor is not made aware of the requirements then the authorities have failed. If you have a pension the amount is not a factor, the ‘O’ visa just requires an official document saying that you have one. That plus evidence of the ability to muster 800.000 Baht cash is good enough. Bank account? Theree must be a way of opening a bank account, how else would you show funds in Thailand?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, tgeezer said:

If you have a pension the amount is not a factor, the ‘O’ visa just requires an official document saying that you have one.

The official requirements in the UK for a Non O (not a Non O-A) state that you must be in receipt of a state pension. Other kinds of pension do not qualify. It is possible, though, that a forces pension might be an exception. It would be worth contacting the embassy to ask them.

Yes fair point, I have emailed the Thai Embassy London.  

And edit because 5 minutes later I got this reply.  

According to the fact, less than 65 years old, you are allowed to apply only for a tourist visa OR an O-A long stay visa only.  The requirement as follows:  

Non-Immigrant Type O- A (Long Stay) 1 Year per entries/Multiple entries/ 1 year validity 

• Two (2) sets ofapplication formsand 2 recent photos.
  • An additional application form for O-A
  • Bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate with monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, (approximately £18,000.00 / annum) or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht. If you send a copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.
  • Certificate of criminal record clearance from own country and country of permanent residence with validity of at least 3 months. Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from here.
  • Medical Record proving applicant has never been infected with contagious disease with validity at least 3 months (in accordance with Immigration Act B.E.2522)
  • If you wish to be accompanied by spouse, the marriage certificate will be attached. But your spouse will be granted Non-Immigrant “O” instead of “O-A”(Long Stay)

So Tourist Visa it is, and sort it out later. 

Edited by hardblogger
  • Like 1

Very bad news and a loss of revenue to the embassy.
In wandering around Immigration last week waiting for my turn, I saw the counter for change of visa status and it would appear to be as routine as anything is here.
In order to fulfil your criterion of "doing it right" you should find contributors experience of different 'ports of entry for change of visa status' helpful.
In spite of the impression I have that the visitor who employs agents is more valued by Immigration I would advise against it in your situation.

On the bullet point: but your spouse will be issued a Non-Immigrant "O" visa.
Is that as ridiculous as it appears? It looks as though you can remain for a year and she for ninety days, what sort of marriage have the embassy in mind?

Very bad news and a loss of revenue to the embassy.
In wandering around Immigration last week waiting for my turn, I saw the counter for change of visa status and it would appear to be as routine as anything is here.
In order to fulfil your criterion of "doing it right" you should find contributors experience of different 'ports of entry for change of visa status' helpful.
In spite of the impression I have that the visitor who employs agents is more valued by Immigration I would advise against it in your situation.

On the bullet point: but your spouse will be issued a Non-Immigrant "O" visa.
Is that as ridiculous as it appears? It looks as though you can remain for a year and she for ninety days, what sort of marriage have the embassy in mind?

The spouse can apply for an extension that will be equal to the length of remainder of the entry from the OA visa as their dependent.

Sent from my SM-T231 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So if her Non-Imm ‘O’ was included in the price of his ‘O-A” that was fair enough. Effectively they both have an ‘O’ visa and will be extending at the end of her permission to stay and three months into his. I suppose it makes sense to sombody.

42 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

So if her Non-Imm ‘O’ was included in the price of his ‘O-A” that was fair enough. Effectively they both have an ‘O’ visa and will be extending at the end of her permission to stay and three months into his. I suppose it makes sense to sombody.

The OA visa allows a one year year entry. The holders spouse would get an extension of stay valid to the date his first one year ends.

The fee for the single entry non-o visa for the spouse still has to be paid. It is not included with the fee for for the OA visa.

Now it makes even less sense. The husband gets a year on entry but his wife gets three months. Neither wants to travel outside Thailand but he has paid for that privilege. If he wants to fully utilize his visa his wife must first gets an extension then buy multiple re-entry permits!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hardblogger said:

i changed from a visa exempt entry to a non O in bangkok (same process as doing so with a tourist visa entry).  it was generally painless, two trips to immigration approx. two weeks apart (one to apply and one to get non O stamp in passport).  i didn't wait more than 10 minutes to meet with the IO on each trip (unlike extensions of stay which can take hours before you see an IO).

it sounds like you may be doing it in pattaya.  there have been reports the office that covers pattaya does not process the change to a non O unless an agent is involved.  so it might be best to deal with an agent.  an agent might be able to help you open a bank account (they'll refer you to one of their bank 'connections').  so you pay the agent for the 'change visa to non O', which usually includes the one year of extension of stay (you get the 90 days from the non O plus they do the 12 month extension at same time).  after the 15 months, you can do the 2nd extension by yourself (assuming you've opened the bank account and deposited the money).

if you can get a bank account opened on your own plus get the money transferred over (800,000THB), you might be able to do the change visa yourself (i have read that the money in the bank option may be more acceptable than the income letter method).  this would be the cheaper option but require three trips to immigration (two for the change visa and one for the extension) and who knows how many trips to a bank to see if you can open an account on a tourist visa.

Edited by buick

If thinking of doing a Conversion to Non-O in Pattaya, read this for what you have in store:

If you cannot get a Non-O-A before coming, your other 2 non-corrupt options would be to get a Non-O 90-day in Savannakhet or Penang - OR - stay in Bangkok when you first arrive, and do the conversion there.  The Chang Wattana office in Bangkok will let you do the conversion "by the book" - but only if you are "living in Bangkok" when you apply.

Reports (and my personal experience) show that Pattaya will not do this - unless you pay 12x+ more than the actual cost to an agent.  The only logical explanation for why Jomtien/Pattaya immigration's Conversion desk only processes "agent" applications, would be that the agent passes on part of your "fee" to an official, which is illegal (bribes).  This would put your permit-to-stay in the "criminally-obtained" basket - not a good way to start your stay in Thailand, in my view.

Yes fair point, I have emailed the Thai Embassy London.  

And edit because 5 minutes later I got this reply.  

According to the fact, less than 65 years old, you are allowed to apply only for a tourist visa OR an O-A long stay visa only.  The requirement as follows:  

Non-Immigrant Type O- A (Long Stay) 1 Year per entries/Multiple entries/ 1 year validity 

• Two (2) sets ofapplication formsand 2 recent photos.
  • An additional application form for O-A
  • Bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate with monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, (approximately £18,000.00 / annum) or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht. If you send a copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.
  • Certificate of criminal record clearance from own country and country of permanent residence with validity of at least 3 months. Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from here.
  • Medical Record proving applicant has never been infected with contagious disease with validity at least 3 months (in accordance with Immigration Act B.E.2522)
  • If you wish to be accompanied by spouse, the marriage certificate will be attached. But your spouse will be granted Non-Immigrant “O” instead of “O-A”(Long Stay)

That is an excellent email, especially the links for criminal records and medical, not as difficult as I thought. should be 'pinned'. I googled criminal records and was put off because I got a site which gives clearances for employment involving contact with minors, old people, transexuals etc. which, compared with my clearance many years ago from the local police station, looked horrendous. The medical looks straightforward too, any GP would attest to the fact that you have none of those deseases, AIDS is the only test I think.

You are too tight for time but with a month available, I would go for the A-O , and make 90 day reports and be free of Immigration for twenty one months when it would be necessary to apply for the extension if it was still the plan.

3 hours ago, tgeezer said:

The medical looks straightforward too, any GP would attest to the fact that you have none of those deseases, AIDS is the only test I think.

I believe you may be incorrect on this point. I believe the diseases specified are elephantiasis (filarisis), leprosy, alcoholism, drug addiction, tuberculosis (latter stage) and syphilis (stage 3). I do not know if the London Embassy wants all these specifically tested for.

HIV and AIDS is specifically not tested for as detailed in the Ministerial Regulation.

Finally the GP does not attest, rather medical tests are carried out.

It is important not to provide incorrect information, particularly about HIV carriers not being eligible for certain visas.

Quite right Briggsy, I substituted AIDS for third stage syph.

Oh and it only needs your local GP to attest that you haven’t got TB leprosy, elephantitis and one other visible thing.

That is what I like about the email, it provides links.

Hardblogger... Curious?... How much did that helpful Pattaya visa shop quote you to change a 30 day tourist (visa on arrival?) to a “retirement visa”? :coffee1:

sfokevin I think that you are asking the wrong man, Hardblogger is a bonefide retiree he is not a resident converting from visa runs.