Florida 20-year-old claims $451 million Mega Millions jackpot

rooster59

Florida 20-year-old claims $451 million Mega Millions jackpot

800x800 (5).jpg

FILE PHOTO - Lottery balls wait to be dropped prior to the lottery drawing for the Mega Millions jackpot in Atlanta, Georgia December 17, 2013. REUTERS/Tami Chappell

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (Reuters) - A 20-year-old man from Florida's Gulf Coast claimed a $451 million Mega Millions lottery jackpot and opted to receive a one-time payment of nearly $282 million, Florida lottery officials said on Friday.

Shane Missler, of Port Richey, had a ticket with the five winning numbers and a "Mega Ball" number drawn on Jan. 5. The larger jackpot figure, the fourth largest in the game's history, would be the estimated value had Missler chosen to take payments over time.

He was the only winner in the nationwide contest and said he had "a feeling" on the night of the drawing that he would win, according to a press release from the Florida lottery.

"I'm only 20, but I hope to use it to pursue a variety of passions, help my family and do some good for humanity," said Missler, according to the statement.

Missler purchased the winning ticket at a 7-Eleven convenience store in Port Richey, using the "Quick Pick" option, meaning that numbers were randomly chosen. The winning numbers were 28, 30, 39, 59, and 70 with a "Mega Ball" of 10.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-01-13

If he is like a few others, he'll be broke by the time he's 30.  I actually knew a man who was 32 year old, and who won $10,000,000 in the lottery some years back.  In just over a year, he was filing for bankruptcy.  Lost his fancy house and Lambo, and all his "good time friends" seemed to just disappear. Not to mention his "super model" wife dumping him. 

54 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

If he is like a few others, he'll be broke by the time he's 30.  I actually knew a man who was 32 year old, and who won $10,000,000 in the lottery some years back.  In just over a year, he was filing for bankruptcy.  Lost his fancy house and Lambo, and all his "good time friends" seemed to just disappear. Not to mention his "super model" wife dumping him. 

596de0dfcfda9_Man-Wins-the-Lottery-and-Finds-the-Love-of-his-life-the-next-day.(2017_03_2402_12_25UTC).jpg.af048359d8774783bc25f02bb2499689.jpg

1 hour ago, Just1Voice said:

Or if he's like most lottery big winners........he'll just have a well financed life.

In this case a very well financed life.

Try not to let it get you down.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Enoon

22 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Or if he's like most lottery big winners........he'll just have a well financed life.

In this case a very well financed life.

Try not to let it get you down.

:thumbsup:

I'm doing quite well myself, so it doesn't get me down in the least.  And I actually wish him well.  I agree with you that most have done wisely with their money, but there are some, especially the younger ones, who tend to lose sight of reality.  Just the way life is at times. 

7 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

I'm doing quite well myself, so it doesn't get me down in the least.  And I actually wish him well.  I agree with you that most have done wisely with their money, but there are some, especially the younger ones, who tend to lose sight of reality.  Just the way life is at times. 

Yep, I think this "younger one" will be OK:

He told the Tampa Bay Times: "I intend to take care of my family, have some fun along the way and cement a path for financial success so that I can leave a legacy far into the future."

"If there is one thing I have learned thus far in my short time on this earth it is that those who maintain a positive mindset and stay true to themselves get rewarded," Mr Missler said.

"I look forward to the future."

Edited by Enoon

Good for him! Hopefully he maintains his well grounded thought processes and establishes a solid financial future. 

Sure it’s a massive amount of money but I’m sure unabated, wild spending could knock a very decent sized hole in it over time. 

It would be hard to fathom having that much money suddenly appear in your savings account