retirement in Laguna

keithpa

Just now, keithpa said:

Whats the bet he didnt sell it, just walked away. ( i expect him to deny this now that i have said that).

I'm not trying to stir the pot in any way but I am curious if it's possible to just walk away from a timeshare   in thailand without legal repercussions.      And of course I don't exclude the possibility that he was able to sell it.

32 minutes ago, Polaky said:

In Phuket thai's detest farangs, where in the rest of the country they pay them no mind,

careful crossing the road. 

Brilliant! I'm sure you know all the Thai's who live in Phuket! I love clueless farangs who have never lived in Phuket and their opinion that has nothing to do with reality... And one should be careful crossing the road no matter where they are. 

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

If you don't mind my asking, how did you "give up " your timeshare.   I know in the USA it's nearly harder to dispose of a timeshare than it is to untie the Gordian Knot.

Some timeshares work out better than others.   It's all dependent on the  signed contract.

I wrote to the time share company and informed them that I wish to give it up. The deal that I made fifteen odd years ago now cost five times the price so I imagine the company was quite pleased.

7 hours ago, keithpa said:

No offense meant, but, I find it impossible to take the opinion of someone  who bought timeshare seriously.

No offense taken as I am now inclined to agree with you.

The fact is when I made the deal around fifteen years ago it cost me less than a week's salary for two high season weeks per year for twenty-five years. My wife and I used it frequently early on and also had holidays in South Africa, Australia, New Zealand using the exchange system. Notwithstanding what I have said and the fact that I did purchase the time share most of the posters seem to agree with me about the high cost of living in Phuket generally. Anyway each to his own.

18 hours ago, glasswort said:

I wrote to the time share company and informed them that I wish to give it up. The deal that I made fifteen odd years ago now cost five times the price so I imagine the company was quite pleased.

Thank you for your reply.   And I offer my congratulations for  your end result.

I listen to legal  radio talk show  podcasts and timeshares are often a  matter addressed.    For the most part there is little support for the plight of buyers of timeshares.   It all goes back to the small print of the contract.    People cannot even give the timeshare back to the selling company as the buyer is on the hook for fees.

There are lots of forums regarding timeshares but I will only offer what I found to be a good film:

23 hours ago, Jimi007 said:

Brilliant! I'm sure you know all the Thai's who live in Phuket! I love clueless farangs who have never lived in Phuket and their opinion that has nothing to do with reality... And one should be careful crossing the road no matter where they are. 

Right.   He's recently posted in another thread that he's visited Thailand 3 times.........    Wonder if he actually made it to Phuket?

On 1/16/2018 at 9:41 AM, Old Croc said:

Nearly seventy, I haven't bothered applying for the OAP because other pensions and savings put me over the income limits. I can tell you, despite all the scratchers whining about costs in Phuket, that the COL here is less than half than in Perth. (Health insurance a big exception).  With Australian income you can live well here, as long as you don't live like a tourist.

If you were planning to retire in Bali would you be looking at Nusa Dua or a more expat friendly area?

Are you sure about "other pensions and savings put me over the income limits"?  With what Ive got in the bank, its only the interest that affects OAP. (1.5% pa, massive, ay)