Canadian man being held against his will in Thailand, family says

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, dontoearth said:

These unstable people come in on 30 day visa exempt status and abuse the system.  I don't see anything wrong with an instant internet background search on visitors.  The software and systems are in place for most of the western countries.   I had to do my own background and criminal search for my one year visa and turn it in to the consulate with govt. stamp.  It takes them about 4 minutes at the local police station finished while you pay the fee!  I think just knowing that a background check would take place would turn back a lot of druggies and weirdos and once the word got out they would stop coming here.

crb clearance from the UK takes weeks to obtain and about 35 pounds i think. also, doing a quick internet search on visitors, i assume you mean those arriving on visa exempt. can you imagine the queues at immo. totally impractical

10 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

crb clearance from the UK takes weeks to obtain and about 35 pounds i think. also, doing a quick internet search on visitors, i assume you mean those arriving on visa exempt. can you imagine the queues at immo. totally impractical

Actually, it is not impractical as much as you think.  A search algorithm could be run when immigration receives the manifests of air or sea travel (which is in advance of when you arrive), and using machine learning models to sift the data and highlight the top 3 (at most).  An immigration officer could quickly peruse the information and if any of the highlighted entries are worthy of a followup -- add a flag to the file so the immigration officer can question you on entry.  The issue is not whether it can practically be done, is how reliable the data is and how error prone it is.

I would not be surprised if the US does this already -- they have some rather high computing power at DHS for doing this sort of analysis.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

56 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Believe me, it was not an intentional twisting of words - it was/is how it read to me.  There was an in-depth translation by someone else which I will take as the intent of your sentence for now.  I don't generally nitpick about grammar or spelling -- unless I have problems with the comprehension of it.

No sweat mate, she'll be right.

3 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

Actually, it is not impractical as much as you think.  A search algorithm could be run when immigration receives the manifests of air or sea travel (which is in advance of when you arrive), and using machine learning models to sift the data and highlight the top 3 (at most).  An immigration officer could quickly peruse the information and if any of the highlighted entries are worthy of a followup -- add a flag to the file so the immigration officer can question you on entry.  The issue is not whether it can practically be done, is how reliable the data is and how error prone it is.

I would not be surprised if the US does this already -- they have some rather high computing power at DHS for doing this sort of analysis.

The US does already do this . No such thing as a visa on arrival in America ,you have to background check before you fly now . 

Me and my many friends from USA, England, Canada etc. lived and worked in Thailand for 30+ years and never had one bit of trouble. As I have worked in China, Thailand and Cuba there is always a chance to cross the line which will put you under the microscope of the local authorities so I am always skeptical when these people claim no drugs right through the trials even when caught with the drugs strapped to their bodies. Will have to see how this plays out. Maybe he just he thought he was in Edmonton and could just head down 118 Ave. pick up a young girl and a bag of pot........I lived in Edmonton so I know what I am talking about.

On ‎14‎.‎01‎.‎2018 at 8:18 AM, darksidedog said:

You do generally get held against your will when the cops find drugs on you and reading the full story, that is what happened here. No phones in the jail, so the accompanying silence is pretty normal. Pay the bail and move on.

Also very seldom With basements in Thailand - may it be the same With the rest of the story...??...

Youngsters who have seen many gangster Movies may come up With a story influnced by those With the underlaying purpose of getting some cash for an extended stay - Creativity has no limits nowadays...??...;)

Not the same story, but... A few days ago I read a story in a Belgian newspaper about family and friends collecting money to help a young flemish guy who is (long-)staying in Cambodia, and is in jail now after being caught at the airport, when he came back, with 1kg. of cocaine hidden in his luggage ('the drugs are not mine, I just bought the bag recently, and they must have been hidden in there before'...). 

11 minutes ago, Jerico1 said:

I see all of you talking shit here. I don't see anything proving he was caught with something. If you have the full story let me see it.

Sent from my LG-H845 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

This is a paragraph from Global News, Canada, so don't be so lazy and do your own search it is not up to us to show or prove anything to you.

“They’d arrested him and were charging him with having weed on him,” Vinoly said. “The thing is we don’t actually think he would’ve had that on him.”

42 minutes ago, Jerico1 said:

I see all of you talking shit here. I don't see anything proving he was caught with something. If you have the full story let me see it.

Here is an update that his family has put on GoFundMe to try and scam money from innocent people to support a drug dealing criminal, no body pleads guilty to something they have not done.

NEW INFORMATION:
- The embassy informs us that Shawn was sent a representative that was not a lawyer.
- His sister receives information from an interview with Shawn that clarified a few aspects of this case.
- Shawn is being held in a correctional facility.
- He is safe.
- He is deciding to plead guilty for the distribution of marijuana.
- He does not have a lawyer.

So, no one is talking shit on here

13 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Here is an update that his family has put on GoFundMe to try and scam money from innocent people to support a drug dealing criminal, no body pleads guilty to something they have not done.

NEW INFORMATION:
- The embassy informs us that Shawn was sent a representative that was not a lawyer.
- His sister receives information from an interview with Shawn that clarified a few aspects of this case.
- He is safe.

The embassy never provides legal representation nor typically interferes in the internal legal affairs of a foreign country.  The representative usually just checks up on you, potentially acts to facilitate communications back to your family -- and hopefully make sure you are treated properly according to the laws of the country.  The embassy will have a list of local lawyers who can provide services in your language, but they do not vouch for the lawyers qualifications / effectiveness.  

Sometimes people get confused that somehow the embassy is suppose to represent your interests.  So yes, he needs to find his own legal defence lawyer.

3 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

The embassy never provides legal representation nor typically interferes in the internal legal affairs of a foreign country.  The representative usually just checks up on you, potentially acts to facilitate communications back to your family -- and hopefully make sure you are treated properly according to the laws of the country.  The embassy will have a list of local lawyers who can provide services in your language, but they do not vouch for the lawyers qualifications / effectiveness.  

Sometimes people get confused that somehow the embassy is suppose to represent your interests.  So yes, he needs to find his own legal defence lawyer.

I know, I think this family are in for a rude shock, plus I would say that the only lawyer they can use here is a Thai lawyer and I think he will cost more than what they are asking for and it will take a long time to go through the legal system here, they should have kept there mouths shut and just paid up what was ask but know that they have involved the media and the Canadian Embassy there is no way out now.

NEW INFORMATION:
- He is safe.

I get it now. But i have been in thai long enough to know that funny stuff go on here. Ask even a straight foward thai about the police and you will get what i was thinking. Everything is posible. That's why i always wanna get details first.

4 minutes ago, Jerico1 said:

I get it now. But i have been in thai long enough to know that funny stuff go on here. Ask even a straight foward thai about the police and you will get what i was thinking. Everything is posible. That's why i always wanna get details first.

Well, you should be careful about coming on to any of these forums and telling everybody they are talking shit when it is you who is talking shit because you have not done your research into the things and you do not demand that others show you the proof of anything. You say you want to get details first, but that is what you failed to do before you attacked everybody on this forum when you said that everybody was talking shit. It sounds like you have not lived in Thailand very long and you have got a lot to learn.

Good luck

Well, you should be careful about coming on to any of these forums and telling everybody they are talking shit when it is you who is talking shit because you have not done your research into the things and you do not demand that others show you the proof of anything. You say you want to get details first, but that is what you failed to do before you attacked everybody on this forum when you said that everybody was talking shit. It sounds like you have not lived in Thailand very long and you have got a lot to learn.
Good luck

And what makes you think you know more. Trust me i have experiences which make me doubt lots of these stories. And i will still repeat it most of these talks are shit. I asked for details in my original comment and expressed my doubts. Anyway non of my biz.

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

NEW INFORMATION:
- He is safe.

'Russel17', sorry for it, this is, totally 'off-topic', I wanted to react previously on a few posts of yours concerning a sweet man called Peter who died in an accident on Samui, RIP, (who I actually met a countless number of times over the years), but couldn't locate it again in the meanders of TV...

Now, it seems, you do 'assume' a lot of things, and propagate info which is not correct, like some 30 km/h speed limit and pedestrian zone... which starts at bout 1/2km further (towards Nathon, in the direction the accident happened in, near Maenam 7 market), just to name one of your ...I don't know how to call such 'fake'(?) comments.

Do you 'assume' stuff in all your posts? A link maybe with the (quite) late(!) boyscouts' activities your avatar makes me think you're busy with...?

In the 'NEW INFORMATION', you're writing 'us', as if you're part of the official communication about this Canadian young man. Well, are you, really, and, please in what quality, may I ask?

I hope you're not in the same league as, alas, quite some Tourist Police volunteers, I had the opportunity to learn more about, when a friend of mine was the N°2 of it on Samui. What a bunch! 

Edited by bangrak

57 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

Good luck

Sigh, here you go again 'Russell17', when the address is correct(?!), you stay in Khon Kaen, but you pretend to know the (very) local speed limits on Koh Samui.

And here you assume the poster you chose to throw an acidic post at is some newcomer-know nothing...

But for one thing you are mighty right, I quote you: 'you should be careful to come on any of these forums and telling everybody they are talking shit when it is you talking shit...', ...what's right for the goose is right for the gander, I'd tell you on that.

2 minutes ago, bangrak said:

Sigh, here you go again 'Russell17', when the address is correct(?!), you stay in Khon Kaen, but you pretend to know the (very) local speed limits on Koh Samui.

And here you assume the poster you chose to throw an acidic post at is some newcomer-know nothing...

But for one thing you are mighty right, I quote you: 'you should be careful to come on any of these forums and telling everybody they are talking shit when it is you talking shit...', ...what's right for the goose is right for the gander, I'd tell you on that.

bottom.line bad police force. Racist untrained and despicable..i wouldn't trust.these people to wash a cup

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:33 PM, AGareth2 said:

the police

he is on a drugs charge

needs bail money

I had a friend who disappeared and was found 2 years later in the Hilton BK after a social worker talked to him and got a message out to his mother in NZ.

He was a bad boy who was told to stay away from his Thai GF who was only 17 at the time and he would not listen.

The GF's father was the local headman and he got warned twice , 3rd time looked up in BK and key thrown away.

5 minutes ago, Media1 said:

bottom.line bad police force. Racist untrained and despicable..i wouldn't trust.these people to wash a cup

I'm afraid you forgot the source of all evils: corrupt as hell (what could, possibly, eventually, 'explain' how things are going for this young Canadian guy, as far as the, one-sided, info we get is correct...).

1 minute ago, bangrak said:

I'm afraid you forgot the source of all evils: corrupt as hell (what could, possibly, eventually, 'explain' how things are going for this young Canadian guy, as far as the, one-sided, info we get is correct...).

i dont know all the details but l do know he handled it wrong. inexperience has landed him in deep waters. Here rule is no drugs. Your not Thai they will burn you. They don't like farang there jealousy is a weapon.

On 14-1-2018 at 8:33 AM, AGareth2 said:

the police

he is on a drugs charge

needs bail money

Ah, you call it 'bail money', LOL. That will be for 'later', after the BiBs will eventually have reduced the pressed charges, ...after they got the bribe they want, now (but seems too late for that already).

2 minutes ago, Media1 said:

i dont know all the details but l do know he handled it wrong. inexperience has landed him in deep waters. Here rule is no drugs. Your not Thai they will burn you. They don't like farang there jealousy is a weapon.

Wrong, dear 'Media1', here it seems the rule is: only drugs from 'befriended' sources. 

1 minute ago, bangrak said:

Wrong, dear 'Media1', here it seems the rule is: only drugs from 'befriended' sources. 

They move gear this is certain. But coming from boxing and training I don't use or like drinking. Young had done drugs yes. No needles. 

So I not need to worry and don't hang with anybody in this field

The young man comes from a pot friendly country  and a nation where law enforcement is generally corruption free but has a decent education and Thailand's drug laws are well known.

He chose to break the law and while he certainly would have been wiser to pay the bribe, now he must face the consequences.

In his country , you can step on a coin without fear, make whatever (non threatening) comment on his monarch you want and there is no need to stop dead in your tracks at the bus station at 8 every morning.

However he was not in his home country and the liberties he enjoys home are moot, itwill be a while before he can enjoy them again.  

Pardon me, but I have joined this thread late, I have not had the opportunity to read all and sundry of TV posts.   But has anyone googled Zoriana Shewchuk?  She seems to be the 'advocate' for this family and portrays herself as thus. My feelings are ZS should keep her fkn mouth shut, all she has done by pursuing the police in a counter charge against human rights has inflamed this/Shawns debacle. 

Its funny how they, ZS/sister say they have 'no transparency' with information, although we have heard so much about the police and policy of detention posing bail. NOT jail, post plea, NOT prison post sentencing. Therefore no reason for the police to register him as imprisoned, just held prior to initial hearing. ??

These 'Emergency calls',  from there 'angel' , he managed to describe his condition, NOT what he was in for,,,,,,,   did he say, 'hey ive been smoking pot? making a few baggies for mates and a few extra bucks for 'what ever'? NO, just hard done by the cops!   Did he say, 'I am innocent' ?

They want on GFM/good people to cough up 5k for this nit wit, ........  If you can afford a trip abroad, make sure you can afford the trip home.!!!!

Give me a break, if these nit wits cant raise 5 k, or even 10k down the pub or otherwise for this 'angel', why should anyone fork out. 

He's been done with 'Distribution' ,,,,,,,,   welcome to the  LOS!

And a big Kob Khun Krup to ZS for her involvement........NOT!................... Maybe she can get more 'internet hits' .............................?