PM’s definition of ‘democracy’ based on ‘Thai way’ fails the test: analysts

webfact

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

Guess what as long as the junta is in power Prawit would be untouchable and YL and her minions would be untouchable during PTP reign. 

And with government agencies such as NACC, EC, NHRC, Ombudsman, etc... stacked by the Junta, he will remain untouchable and the PTP will surely not be untouchable. Just as it was when PTP was in power because these agencies had been stacked by the previous Junta.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, robblok said:

I feel getting away with corruption is never acceptable.. not for YL Her bunch in the rice program.. and not for Prawit with his watches. Guess what as long as the junta is in power Prawit would be untouchable and YL and her minions would be untouchable during PTP reign. 

You value democracy.. i value the fight against corruption more. Its all about priorities. I feel the fight against corruption is more important then protecting a far from perfect democracy. If you stamp out corruption you get better governments. 

You are against corruption, yet you supported an above the law military that has, again, overthrown democracy and given itself amnesty for all its crimes.  You are being intentionally dense about the hypocrisy of your position.

The voters can remove a corrupt elected government.  Corruption is often not their first priority, it may take a while before it becomes a priority for them.  The fact that corruption is your top priority is irrelevant.

The first priority of the majority of Thais in the 2000 was to bring roads, schools, healthcare, and other key bits of infrastructure in the north and northeast (where the majority lived) up from third world standards and closer to the standards people in Bangkok took for granted.  The majority had known nothing but corrupt government that neglected them, a corrupt government that didn't neglect them was a huge improvement.

By 2014 indications were that the voters had raised their sights and wanted better than the PTP or Democrats.  However we will never know how that would have affected an election because the military, with your support, prevented that and all other promised elections.

Face the facts; you have consistently supported a government that is at least as bad as the elected governments you didn't like, with the added flaw that it can not be peacefully removed.

There *are* laws in place to prevent/punish corruption in Thailand, although they are not well-written.

- The *problem* is the enforcement of those laws.

If people (incl. *Politicians*) believe that they can get away with corrupt practices, then they will.

And so ... *until* the anti-corruption laws are actually fairly, fully and broadly upheld in a non-partisan way by the Police and Anti-Corruption Agencies *nothing* will change, and *all* future Leaders/Politicians/People-with-Power-or-Authority in Thailand *will* be corrupt -- because they *can* be, with impunity.

I don't see the individuals as "the problem"  -  I see the *law enforcement* as "the problem".

People at all levels in society will be "on the take", if their situation/position enables them to do it *and* they can get away with it.

Edited by andersonat

democracy according to meriam webster------

: a political system in which the supreme power lies in a body of citizens who can elect people to represent them

:the doctrine that the numerical majority of an organized group can make decisions binding on the whole group
:the political orientation of those who favor government by the people or by their elected representatives

democracy according to meriam webster------

: a political system in which the supreme power lies in a body of citizens who can elect people to represent them
:the doctrine that the numerical majority of an organized group can make decisions binding on the whole group
:the political orientation of those who favor government by the people or by their elected representatives
Your are part of the problem. A dictionary quote?

Book a flight next election and see that quote destroyed [emoji3]

13 minutes ago, toughlove said:

Your are part of the problem. A dictionary quote?

Book a flight next election and see that quote destroyed emoji3.png

The internationally monitored 2011 election went reasonably smoothly and the results reflected the will of the majority.  The junta is determined to prevent that kind of election from happening again.

The internationally monitored 2011 election went reasonably smoothly and the results reflected the will of the majority.  The junta is determined to prevent that kind of election from happening again.

Nonsense. The only reason thailand had NOT turned into a North /South Korea style is because of the junta.

Consider yourself lucky we were all not forced out due to a near civil war years ago!!!

Now go enjoy your freedom and stop crying

17 minutes ago, toughlove said:

Nonsense. The only reason thailand had NOT turned into a North /South Korea style is because of the junta.

Consider yourself lucky we were all not forced out due to a near civil war years ago!!!

A near civil war?  No, the protests were dying of apathy.  The junta stepped in to prevent an election, not to "save the nation". 

Now go enjoy your paranoid conspiracy theories.

A near civil war?  No, the protests were dying of apathy.  The junta stepped in to prevent an election, not to "save the nation". 

Now go enjoy your paranoid conspiracy theories.
It's a real shame TV Does NOT have an ISP number next to each post like so many other respectable forums.

The dummies that join the sheep would be shocked to learn the rams are comfy in a lazy boy chair.... In another country [emoji3]

49 minutes ago, toughlove said:

We could be speaking Burmese. What’s your point? 

Another great example of the Thai Way and Thai-style democracy today. BBC International News is running a brief news item that starts "In Thailand today a Thai military court ....." then the censor hits the panic button and a screen appears promising that normal programming will be resumed shortly (which it is when Beeb has moved on to less controversial matters).

Can't find any of the subject matter on Thai Visa, so maybe the military happiness agents are doing an effective job on all media outlets. 

The problem here is that Thai ness is all about me me me, until it changes to you you you nothing changes. In other words consideration of others needs to be highlighted and the country before me me me. That's the Thai way and its not going to change overnight is it and it sure is not going to change without change and the first change needs to be the military and their chums leaving the stage, its the politicians that need to change things without interference from those with muscle. Its going to take time, they will make mistakes and after 4 years you can chuck them out but they have to find their own way to the future, the military interference has ben going on for many years and it has not worked, 80bts for a lottery ticket does not cut it!

7 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

Another great example of the Thai Way and Thai-style democracy today. BBC International News is running a brief news item that starts "In Thailand today a Thai military court ....." then the censor hits the panic button and a screen appears promising that normal programming will be resumed shortly (which it is when Beeb has moved on to less controversial matters).

Can't find any of the subject matter on Thai Visa, so maybe the military happiness agents are doing an effective job on all media outlets. 

Sulak's case, probably. It's been reported on the BP today so I don't see why it should be censored. It could be that the BBC was being too sarcastic about it.

2 hours ago, candide said:

Sulak's case, probably. It's been reported on the BP today so I don't see why it should be censored. It could be that the BBC was being too sarcastic about it.

Why blank anything out when you are the saviors of the nation, committed to democracy? 

You should be singing high praises of your justice system, showing it off to your people and the world. Inviting foreign journalists in as witnesses to your honourable cause?

Let me go out on a limb here - 'Because you are nothing but filth'?

Link, video.. Or it didn't happen

4 hours ago, toughlove said:

It's a real shame TV Does NOT have an ISP number next to each post like so many other respectable forums.

The dummies that join the sheep would be shocked to learn the rams are comfy in a lazy boy chair.... In another country emoji3.png

I assume you are suggesting I am not not in Thailand and have not been present during the last two military coups, martial law, curfews, roadblocks, soldiers on the street, censorship, etc.   Wrong.

14 minutes ago, toughlove said:
3 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Are you so uninformed that you don't know that links to real news the junta doesn't like are not allowed on TV? Or are you covering for censorship that your beloved junta (censorship prevents us from calling it by its real name) imposes with harsh penalties for noncompliance?

10 hours ago, robblok said:

I am talking about the coups i experienced while being here.. the recent ones been short. I had no reason to expect otherwise.

You had no reason to expect anything at all. You obviously never studied the history of the country you are now living in.

But anyone giving away the freedom of themselves and others for some little security will in the long run have neither freedom or security.

I assume you are suggesting I am not not in Thailand and have not been present during the last two military coups, martial law, curfews, roadblocks, soldiers on the street, censorship, etc.   Wrong.

Yes. You were not here

I feel sorry for the guys being dragged around by the nose by pathetic OS ring leaders

Will be interesting days when the junta stumble across TV [emoji23]

3 hours ago, toughlove said:

Yes. You were not here

I feel sorry for the guys being dragged around by the nose by pathetic OS ring leaders

Will be interesting days when the junta stumble across TV emoji23.png

I was, and am, in Thailand.  I have my doubts about you. 

My posts are consistent with recorded and remembered facts.  Your posts about paranoid eve of civil war fantasies are not.

Your final sentence expresses longing for retribution for all who oppose military rule and favor democracy.  I won't comment on what kind of person thinks that way, I will leave it to others to decide.

6 hours ago, toughlove said:
9 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

Haha. I finally joined the zeitgeist of this generation. Accused of posting fake news!

Maybe someone else saw it and can rescue me. I don't have time to sit with my phone waiting to see if that item is running again today.

My posts are consistent with recorded and remembered facts.  Your posts about paranoid eve of civil war fantasies are not.

Your final sentence expresses longing for retribution for all who oppose military rule and favor democracy.  I won't comment on what kind of person thinks that way, I will leave it to others to decide.

I think his observations of events in this country are limited by the views available and opinions gathered from a bar stool in a Pattaya beer bar.

Whether that stool is permanently occupied, or for two weeks at a time on a recurring basis I don't know, but I rather suspect the latter!

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Doubt it.

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎17 at 1:55 PM, Media1 said:

Just another failed coup leader using brainwash tactics on peasants willing to listen.

He won't win.any election.

Unfortunately, he has completely gamed the system so that he will be back in power without ever winning anything. With a watered down NLA and a handpicked senate, it is almost a foregone conclusion that he will be next PM after the so-called "election".

19 minutes ago, toughlove said:
15 hours ago, heybruce said:

Doubt it.

He says he will leave it for others to decide and you doubt it??:crazy:

BTW I agree with heybruce that it takes a special kind of ****** to wish retribution upon those who express their opposition to a military junta. Kind of makes me fantasize about what relatives to people who have disappeared or been given lengthy jail sentences by military tribunals would do to fanboys like you if they ever got their hands on you.

I think I'll save some of your posts for possible later use but I suspect you're just a two week tourist know-it-all.