What is the best bike to get fast, efficient and with fun through the Bangkok traffic?

OneMoreFarang

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

"the wider turning circle, and a couple of back and forths" is exactly the problem I want to avoid. And this is the beauty of my Raider 150, it turns more or less on the spot.

Does anybody know about a comparison of the turning circle of these about 300cc bikes? Some time ago I looked at several websites but it was not mentioned anywhere I looked.

There's always a compromise. I don't think you're going to get something with the power and stability of a 300 with the turning circle and nimbleness of a 150. It's one or the other. Personally I think it's worth the sacrifice to have that extra power but if not, better keep the Raider (I keep a KSR110 which I occasionally use if I need to go to the girlfriends condo after work on a Friday - bumper to bumper crawling traffic for about 7 kilometres).

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, pee paub said:

Sorry, I don’t know of any 300 class bike with the wheelbase of a 150 underbone.

Maybe I should find a tuning shop which is able to squeeze a 300cc engine into my 150cc underbone frame - and some bigger brakes are probably also a good idea.

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe I should find a tuning shop which is able to squeeze a 300cc engine into my 150cc underbone frame - and some bigger brakes are probably also a good idea.

Sounds like fun. Likely be scary in the corners I think.

9 hours ago, pee paub said:

I ride an mt-03 and love that little bike. Not good for the highway but excellent in congested traffic - I can squeeze through any space the scooters can. The only glitch is the wider turning circle, and a couple of back and forths, as JonnyF said, has always done the trick. I expect any of the other 300 class nakeds would be similar. I prefer the twin cylinder engine characteristics over the KTM’s single, but to each their own.

just out of curiosity, if I was looking at the CB300F ABS (used to have the CB500F) would the MT-03 be a better choice in your opinion?

38 minutes ago, kekalot said:

just out of curiosity, if I was looking at the CB300F ABS (used to have the CB500F) would the MT-03 be a better choice in your opinion?

Better in which way for which usage?

Lots of bikes are good for some conditions and not so good for others.

i had a yamaha virago chopper that was surprisingly narrow with factory hand bar & mirrors,
i could squeeze through like any scooter, sit comfortable unlike any scooter/crotch rocket,
and an 1100 virago can keep up at any rew.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

good and fun bike to get through the traffic in town?

Honda Click 125i no need for anything more powerful around town. Unless of course the ego needs it

Obviously you are right that the Honda Click does the job, just like my Raider 150. But if you have to travel every day then it's one thing to get from A to B and another thing to get from A to B having fun. With a very small bike with little power it's no fun. With a big bike it can be fun but often it is no fun because you are stuck behind the cars and can't move. The idea about this thread is to find the sweet spot with a bike which is small enough to fit through the cars and powerful enough to have fun.

Obviously you are right that the Honda Click does the job, just like my Raider 150. But if you have to travel every day then it's one thing to get from A to B and another thing to get from A to B having fun. With a very small bike with little power it's no fun. With a big bike it can be fun but often it is no fun because you are stuck behind the cars and can't move. The idea about this thread is to find the sweet spot with a bike which is small enough to fit through the cars and powerful enough to have fun.
My Click is definitely fun, equal to or more than my BMW F800GS and Honda CBR600 in the UK, but i do appreciate guys want a bigger bike, its a macho thing, i get that, I'm past that stage long time ago

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
11 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

My Click is definitely fun, equal to or more than my BMW F800GS and Honda CBR600 in the UK, but i do appreciate guys want a bigger bike, its a macho thing, i get that, I'm past that stage long time ago

So I guess next time you are in the UK you will sell your big bikes and buy a Honda Click because it's so much fun, correct?

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Looks nice, but looks also definitely too big to wiggle between the cars in (almost) standing traffic.

Yamaha Aerox 155cc is great for burning around bkk

It looks more chunky than the old nouvo 135/125sx but they're about the same measurements, small but thick 14" wheels is good for getting through the traffic jams

Automatic is better in gridlock stop - go traffic 

OP,

Maybe the you could find someone competent to modify your 4 valve DOHC Suzuki Raider to give you an increase in power that would make your rides far more interesting. You could keep the small and compact chassis that you are already familiar with.

The bigger bikes that are being discussed in this thread are not going to make you happy when you get to the tight stuff and you have to roll your bike back and forth.

As papa al already mentioned in post #12:

"Stick with Raider.

Unsurpassed in traffic."

9 hours ago, Issanman said:

OP,

Maybe the you could find someone competent to modify your 4 valve DOHC Suzuki Raider to give you an increase in power that would make your rides far more interesting. You could keep the small and compact chassis that you are already familiar with.

The bigger bikes that are being discussed in this thread are not going to make you happy when you get to the tight stuff and you have to roll your bike back and forth.

As papa al already mentioned in post #12:

"Stick with Raider.

Unsurpassed in traffic."

Thanks for your comment.

Above I mentioned tuning already and someone suggested a tuned two-stoke.

That reminds me of the two-stokes I had a long time ago in a country far away. At that time I tuned them and I loved it but by now I am too old for this...

I want a reliable nimble everyday bike and that is why I bought the Raider. But sometimes when I see a powerful bike I think about the time when I also had a powerful bike and the fun I had. If I would thing a little longer I would also remember the overheating while stuck in traffic...

For now my conclusion from this thread is that probably I will stick with the Raider because it's best for the way I use/need my bike.

There is a big KTM dealer not far from here and maybe one day I have a look inside and sit on that DUKE 390 and look how nimble it feels and maybe I can test ride it. Let's see.

Thanks for all your comments

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:44 AM, scubascuba3 said:
On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:35 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I CANNOT understand how a motorcyclist can even have 1 square millimeter of love for a lack of gear changing, no clutch, horrible, intensely boring, zero character, Twist and Go.

Guys from a scooter background - ok I get it.

Schoolgirls to and from college, housewives doing the shopping - I get it.

Grown men from a proper motorcycle background - no I just don't get it.

As you can see, I hate the things with a vengeance.

To the OP - someone suggested two strokes. Fine idea.

I've also seen those Raider things close up, and for an "underbone" they are an impressive bit of kit. Like an 1/8th of an air/oil cooled old GSXR 1000 sawn off. Brilliant bit of kit.

17 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

I CANNOT understand how a motorcyclist can even have 1 square millimeter of love for a lack of gear changing, no clutch, horrible, intensely boring, zero character, Twist and Go.

Guys from a scooter background - ok I get it.

Schoolgirls to and from college, housewives doing the shopping - I get it.

Grown men from a proper motorcycle background - no I just don't get it.

As you can see, I hate the things with a vengeance.

To the OP - someone suggested two strokes. Fine idea.

I've also seen those Raider things close up, and for an "underbone" they are an impressive bit of kit. Like an 1/8th of an air/oil cooled old GSXR 1000 sawn off. Brilliant bit of kit.

I like your last paragraph. Now I see my Raider as a mini GSXR 1000 sawn off - and that makes me feel better.

About the no clutch, no gear, two hand break bikes: I understand your comment and I have also no love for these bikes. But I have to admit I never used one. But my ex VFR400 mechanic who raced big bikes and repaired big bikes and had a garage full of big bikes used one of those lady bikes to drive through town - so maybe they are not so bad if you get used to them.

I come from a proper motorcycle background and I prefer my pcx150 for downtown pattaya riding.

Nil maintenance between service intervals expect checking checking tire pressure and fill petrol.

So smooth for this purpose, I had wave's (2 before my pcx) and when I get a new scout, it will auto again.

My big bike will always be a real bike, I like the gear changing out on the highways.

1 hour ago, papa al said:

...heard these are lively:5a643e5f44e25_ScreenShot2561-01-21at2_14_08PM.png.68a4651c531f6070bacc39fc24c3ea95.png

I will definitely have a look at the DUKE. I read somewhere (don't remember where) that the 200 and the 390 have the same frame. So I compared the technical data. Both the 200 and the 390 have the same wheelbase of 1367mm and the same length of 2002mm. But the 390 is wider (873mm compared to 730mm for the 200). I also compared the Yamaha MT-03 and BMW 310. Bother are longer and have a longer wheelbase than the KTM. And on the other side my Suzuki Raider 150 has 1220mm wheelbase, almost 15cm shorter than the KTM ...

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

my Suzuki Raider 150 has 1220mm wheelbase, almost 15cm shorter than the KTM ...

does 1/2 inch make big dif. ?

Rake has something to do with it.

Do the data you consulted show that angle?

1 hour ago, papa al said:

does 1/2 inch make big dif. ?

Rake has something to do with it.

Do the data you consulted show that angle?

15mm = just over 1/2"

15 cms = 6". Bit of a difference. Sorry for being pedantic.

5 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Been a biker all my life.

PCX in city traffic - can't be beat.

Practicality - maybe. Still hate 'em.

Archived