What is the best bike to get fast, efficient and with fun through the Bangkok traffic?

OneMoreFarang

Over the years I had three bikes in Bangkok. A Kawasaki KDX200 two-stoke, motor-cross, about 35HP, which was fun, powerful enough, but too big to wiggle through the stop and go traffic.

Then I had a Honda VFR400, sports-bike, about 65HP, first gear 100km/h, which was even more fun when the streets were empty. It was small enough to pass between the cars straight through but it was a problem to turn between the cars.

Now I have a Suzuki Raider 150, underbone bike, about 15HP, which is just about fast enough and it is agile so it’s easy to wiggle through the cars. This bike is definitely faster in the traffic then my previous bikes.

But 15HP is not exactly exciting. It does the job and it accelerates fast enough to about 100km/h but after that it takes time to accelerate further. I don't want to drive much faster, but it's nice if the bike accelerates within seconds to a decent speed.

Now I see from time to time a Honda CFR, kind of suptermoto bike, and I am sure that has more power than my small Suzuki. But I guess it will be more difficult to get through the cars. I guess I have to test ride it one day. I am tall so I won’t have a problem with the height of such bike.

What do you suggest as a good and fun bike to get through the traffic in town? It should be nimble like my small 150cc Suzuki but if possible with double the power.
I don’t want to race and I never had an accident over the years. I just want to get efficient and with some fun through town.

What is your experience? What are your suggestions?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've ridden all sorts of bikes in BKK. From autos to Panigales. The best so far is my Ninja 250 which is a nice blend of being small enough to get through gaps, no heat, large tank/range, fast enough to have some fun, ultra reliable, but it's worth about the same as my crash helmet so I don't have to worry about leaving it parked on the street, getting scratched etc.

Trouble is it's almost 10 years old now and has no ABS, and has been usurped by the newer bikes in the same category (plus the power is up the top of the rev range which is not ideal for the city). I believe the best bike now for BKK would be an R3 or MT03. Bit more power/torquey engine than my Ninja with all the benefits of the Ninja, plus ABS. The newer Ninja 300 would also be good but those Yamaha's are lovely bikes IMO. My MT-09 is really good in BKK but you do feel that extra weight and can't really use the extra power, especially at peak hours. Also a bit more heat than the smaller bikes.

The moto style bikes (CRF, KLX etc.) are a bit underpowered/sluggish IMO. Also the small tank isn't ideal. WR250/450F would be better but I'd still opt for the R3/MT03.

I agree with JonnyF. A naked ~300cc is probably what you are looking for. I think the nakeds are better for city riding than the faired versions because of the upright riding position and wide handlebars which give great leverage when wiggling through cars. In that segment, the MT03 would also be my pick. 168kg wet, 42HP, 30Nm, ABS, twin for 177k THB. Haven't ridden one myself but the specs and reviews are very positive.

Thanks, something like the MT-03 sounds interesting. Do you know how easy it can be maneuvered through the gaps in the cars? In my experience the problem are always the (almost) 90 degree bends going from one lane in standing traffic between two cars to the next lane. With my current 150cc bike I can turn almost on a spot. I guess the Ninja and the MT-03 need more space. But the question is just a little more space and it works in most situations or so much more space that one ends up waiting with the cars because the bike is too big to get be maneuvered between the cars.

9 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

I agree with JonnyF. A naked ~300cc is probably what you are looking for. I think the nakeds are better for city riding than the faired versions because of the upright riding position and wide handlebars which give great leverage when wiggling through cars. In that segment, the MT03 would also be my pick. 168kg wet, 42HP, 30Nm, ABS, twin for 177k THB. Haven't ridden one myself but the specs and reviews are very positive.

Yep, the only thing I'd maybe add to that is that the sports bikes have slightly narrower bars than the wide bars on the naked bikes so they are a bit easier for getting in between cars (although you're absolutely right that you do lose a bit of leverage). Also, these 300 cc sports bikes while looking sporty and having good performance, they do actually have fairly upright riding positions compared to the supersports.

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks, something like the MT-03 sounds interesting. Do you know how easy it can be maneuvered through the gaps in the cars? In my experience the problem are always the (almost) 90 degree bends going from one lane in standing traffic between two cars to the next lane. With my current 150cc bike I can turn almost on a spot. I guess the Ninja and the MT-03 need more space. But the question is just a little more space and it works in most situations or so much more space that one ends up waiting with the cars because the bike is too big to get be maneuvered between the cars.

Not sure of the turning circle on the MT03 but on the Ninja it's pretty good. I know exactly the situation you mean and on rare occasions you do have to go forwards full lock, turn the bars full lock the other way and go back, go forwards again etc. but it's pretty rare - I can generally get through anything a scooter can get through at the first attempt.  

Only way to know for sure is rent one for a day.

19 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Not sure of the turning circle on the MT03 but on the Ninja it's pretty good. I know exactly the situation you mean and on rare occasions you do have to go forwards full lock, turn the bars full lock the other way and go back, go forwards again etc. but it's pretty rare - I can generally get through anything a scooter can get through at the first attempt.  

Only way to know for sure is rent one for a day.

Thanks. Do you know if there is a shop where I can rent or test ride it for a day - or at least an hour or two?

I just looked up the MT03 on YouTube and is looks good. But then someone compared it with the KTM DUKE 390 which looks even better...

The KTM Duke 390 costs quite a bit more 200/210k? Not sure. It got more poke and the digital dash is nice. In BKK you also should have relatively decent dealer support (compared to many provinces)? Not 100% sure. Should definitely also test ride that one if you can. It's a single though. Not sure if they fixed the terrible vibes that the older singles from KTM had.

The KTM is interesting as well, forgot about that. Its a bit more performance for a bit more hassle in terms of servicing, parts, resale value etc.

For a Bangkok commuter I’d go with convenience (Yam) but as an all round bike for an enthusiast I’d take the KTM.

I’ve seen a few good deals on nearly new KTMs lately. Especially the 200 Duke. 

I use a CRF250M in Bangkok, That's the moto styled one.  Ideal for traffic as it's slim, easy to handle and mirrors and bars go over most car door mirrors.  Decent height so can see over cars, and better brakes and tyres for the road than the 250L dual sport version.  

Out of the city it could perhaps do with a bit more grunt, but it's OK.

Not easy to find new ones in dealers now, so the Versys x300 may be an alternative, and that has a bit more poke and abs. 

But still hard to beat something like a Honda Click in traffic.

21 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I've ridden all sorts of bikes in BKK. From autos to Panigales. The best so far is my Ninja 250 which is a nice blend of being small enough to get through gaps, no heat, large tank/range, fast enough to have some fun, ultra reliable, but it's worth about the same as my crash helmet so I don't have to worry about leaving it parked on the street, getting scratched etc.

Trouble is it's almost 10 years old now and has no ABS, and has been usurped by the newer bikes in the same category (plus the power is up the top of the rev range which is not ideal for the city). I believe the best bike now for BKK would be an R3 or MT03. Bit more power/torquey engine than my Ninja with all the benefits of the Ninja, plus ABS. The newer Ninja 300 would also be good but those Yamaha's are lovely bikes IMO. My MT-09 is really good in BKK but you do feel that extra weight and can't really use the extra power, especially at peak hours. Also a bit more heat than the smaller bikes.

The moto style bikes (CRF, KLX etc.) are a bit underpowered/sluggish IMO. Also the small tank isn't ideal. WR250/450F would be better but I'd still opt for the R3/MT03.

Agree. I had a Ninja 250 in Bangkok, and it was a wonderful bike. Kawasaki now also have 2 naked versions version of the 250 Ninja called the Z250 (and even a Z300 if you want more grunt). The  naked versions are more nimble through traffic, as slightly lighter and no fairing to worry about.

11 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

I don't know anyone that can get thru BKK faster than the Motocy Taxi Drivers on Soi 18, have had some harrowing rides with them.........:wai:

The funny thing is I remember that long time ago I had some crazy rides with motorcycle taxis. But I don't remember any scary rides over the last years. Which brings up the question if now all the motorcycle taxi guys ride so much better or I am just totally used to it...

41 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The funny thing is I remember that long time ago I had some crazy rides with motorcycle taxis. But I don't remember any scary rides over the last years. Which brings up the question if now all the motorcycle taxi guys ride so much better or I am just totally used to it...

Probably because they now use four stroke automatic scooters?  I still have ptsd-style flashbacks of clinging on to the back of a screaming 2 stroke while the streets of Bangkok zipped past in a warp speed blur.  Now you don't even need to hold on whilst relaxing on the back of a pink Fino.

I've owned a number of bike in the States, Harley, big bikes, here in Thailand it doesn't take much to kill yourself you can do it on a scooter 100 cc.

In Bangkok to each his own but I don't or can't see anyone having much fun if they got to clutch. To be honest, there are times I want to get something bigger with a clutch a bigger bike giants tires in the back with a big roar between my legs to maybe make up for my age but then I come to my senses just enjoy getting from point A-B, on my Honda 150, the ride is like being in a little car, smooth and good on gas that is all one needs.

2 hours ago, Familyonthemove said:

Probably because they now use four stroke automatic scooters?  I still have ptsd-style flashbacks of clinging on to the back of a screaming 2 stroke while the streets of Bangkok zipped past in a warp speed blur.  Now you don't even need to hold on whilst relaxing on the back of a pink Fino.

I hate pink Fino and I love screaming two-stokes or my former VFR400 with red line at 14,500 RPM. Screeeeeeeeeeem ;)

Thanks for all the info. I guess I should try driving something like the MT03 or KTM 390 maybe on a Friday afternoon in traffic in Bangkok.

And after that test ride I will take my Raider 150 back home.

I guess after that I will know if I want a bigger bike or if I am happy to keep the small one.

1 minute ago, uffe123 said:

No bike at all, unless you want to kill yourself. 

How do you get around? With a car? With the BTS? Walking?

How much time do you spent sitting in traffic every day?

The only realistic alternative to having a bike is using motorcycle taxis. Many of them are good drivers but some are not - especially if it gets night and they get drunk.

Most of the time I prefer driving myself and take the risk to kill myself (I don't want to but the risk is certainly there). I prefer that compared to sitting on the back of a bike and thinking or complaining why the guy drives like he drives.

Remember; you ride a bike and drive a car, 555.

Yes I agree by either ride/drive yourself (or both, which I do), you never know the skills of the taxi dude, some are even drunk/high whilst on the job.

Been riding and driving here for many years, had some close calls but I am still here.

Still love going out riding on the big bike, ultimative felling of freedom. 

The Honda CBX 500 goes surprisingly well in traffic not much in it between the R3 or the Ninjette and the CBX in traffic tbh, I have had all 3 and pretty much all of them can get anywhere a moped can in traffic and are way more fun when through the traffic....

5 hours ago, Medicine Man said:

I've just bought a new baby GS BMW, 310 c.c. and perfect for the city and weekend excursions in Thailand. Very comfortable and well built (in India). Worth checking out

Sent from my LG-H850 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

BMW sounds good, but obviously expensive. I just checked, it seems it cost 219,000 - which is a lot but less than I would have expected.

I ride an mt-03 and love that little bike. Not good for the highway but excellent in congested traffic - I can squeeze through any space the scooters can. The only glitch is the wider turning circle, and a couple of back and forths, as JonnyF said, has always done the trick. I expect any of the other 300 class nakeds would be similar. I prefer the twin cylinder engine characteristics over the KTM’s single, but to each their own.

9 minutes ago, pee paub said:

I ride an mt-03 and love that little bike. Not good for the highway but excellent in congested traffic - I can squeeze through any space the scooters can. The only glitch is the wider turning circle, and a couple of back and forths, as JonnyF said, has always done the trick. I expect any of the other 300 class nakeds would be similar. I prefer the twin cylinder engine characteristics over the KTM’s single, but to each their own.

"the wider turning circle, and a couple of back and forths" is exactly the problem I want to avoid. And this is the beauty of my Raider 150, it turns more or less on the spot.

Does anybody know about a comparison of the turning circle of these about 300cc bikes? Some time ago I looked at several websites but it was not mentioned anywhere I looked.

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

"the wider turning circle, and a couple of back and forths" is exactly the problem I want to avoid. And this is the beauty of my Raider 150, it turns more or less on the spot.

Does anybody know about a comparison of the turning circle of these about 300cc bikes? Some time ago I looked at several websites but it was not mentioned anywhere I looked.

Sorry, I don’t know of any 300 class bike with the wheelbase of a 150 underbone.

Archived