Cough and chest wheezing

Chongalulu

I had a slight cold which I seemed mostly to be fighting off around Xmas but on New Year’s Day it developed into a persistent cough and chest congestion. It slowly seemed to be improving until last night when I felt rather drained and sweaty,feeling like a bit of a relapse. Despite being 65 I don’t smoke or drink as aggravating factors and keep quite fit. I’m reticent to see a doctor given the propensity here for dishing out anti biotics needlessly and my understanding that with most viruses of this nature just keeping well nourished is the best protocol. I would welcome any suggestions based on knowledge of what strain is currently doing the rounds and if I should seek some medication. I’m korat based. 

Yes infection, lasts about 3 to 4 days, snot like Niagra Falls, but still in nasal passages, then into the chest, now that does hurt. Was a post here a month ago, poster goes straight on (sp)  .doxycillian or Ciprohol      I'm on the latter, will stay on it for 2 to 3 days

On 17/01/2018 at 7:56 PM, Sheryl said:

If I understand correctly you have had this for about 17 days now.

Time to see a doctor. A virus wouldd ususlly have run its course by now so there may be a bacterial superinfection.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thank you Sheryl as always. Despite suddenly feeling a lot better this morning I took your advice and saw a doctor. I think he diagnosed bronchitis,which seemed to make sense and prescribed Poliroxin (antibiotics) and Bromhexine (decongestant tablet) which seemed appropriate from googling. Also Loratadine which I’m more puzzled about,it being antihistamine, as I never suffer from any allergies like hay fever  and my nose is not running  . Am I best ignoring this one? 

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Since as I understand it you no longer have cold type symptoms (runny nose etc) I don't see the point of an antihistamine.

BTW bromhexine is an ecpectorant not a decongestant.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thank you for the prompt response and clarification. It is reassuring to have your input in these matters.

Archived