"We've got used to this kind of terrible, selfish driving in Thailand", says Thai media

webfact

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/18/2018 at 11:00 AM, Dave67 said:

Just stupid putting those buses on a route with a long winding hill. I'd say the driver had no choice its all about revs on a hill for lorries also. If you slow down and you revs drop you could quite likely stall and not be able to restart (Drivers mate when I left school at 15)

At least we know the consequences of leaving school at 15.

On 1/18/2018 at 1:55 PM, Dave67 said:

So what should he have done then slowed down and stalled it on the hill making all other traffic go round onto the other lane? Those coaches' crawl uphill when fully loaded

Simply follow the bus in front at the same speed till safe to overtake.  Duh.  Why on earth do you think he would stall?

On ‎18‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 11:00 AM, Dave67 said:

Just stupid putting those buses on a route with a long winding hill. I'd say the driver had no choice its all about revs on a hill for lorries also. If you slow down and you revs drop you could quite likely stall and not be able to restart (Drivers mate when I left school at 15)

yes but don't forget the rule never overtake when approaching a bend no excuse you should know better.

On 1/18/2018 at 11:49 AM, fasteddie said:

Ridiculous comment.

The fact is that many drivers when "trapped" behind a slow moving vehicle lose patience and resort to taking unnecessary risks. This is not peculiar to Thailand.

It shouldn't happen, of course but it does. ....that's why some countries actually insist either on minimum hill climbing ability or on roads with lay-bys for slow vehicles to compulsory pull over or passing lanes to avoid this.

You can't condone the driver's actions, but you could design the roads better and educate drivers of slower vehicles to give way. In fact on several occasions they have done so for me.

It is a spectacular sight but as demonstrated the situation turned not to be a life threatening event. ...  If the driver of the car had been adjusting as camera or radio, then the situation could have been different.

However as my dad always said, even if you're in the E-type, you can't be sure there isn't another one just round the bend going equally fast.

Edited by Airbagwill

I love it, lets go for the Guinness book of world records in all types of road carnage.

One of my personal favorites is the windows blacked out Toyota pick up truck that puts on its turn signal, slows down then doesn't turn on to where he or shes going, forcing the five vehicles behind it do a rear-ender. Ha ha. Oh yes and they were all tail gaiting at 1mtr.

9 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Oh really, pray tell of these London mountains oh wise one.

just read the signs....

Swaine's Lane Highgate: Not marked as uphill only. A long drag but my estimate is something like 12% tops.
Brittacy Hill, Mill Hill. Similar to the above.
Star & Garter Hill Richmond. Marked as 10%.
Nightingale Lane, Richmond. Not marked as uphill only. Claimed as 1/5. Not sure but looks 1/6 to me.
Gravel Hill, Finchley. Not marked but would be 10% by my estimate.
Highgate Hill. Marked as 10%
Shooters Hill. Not marked but estimated by me at 10% or less.
Roads to Crystal Palace. Anerley Hill is 10%. Gipsy Hill perhaps the same.
Chingford Mount/Muswell Hill. Can't find anything really steep here.
Succombs Hill. Marked as 25%
Ena Road. As discussed marked as 17%
Canonbie Road, Honor Oak. Marked as 18%
Spout Hill, Addington. Marked as 17%
Downe Road. Marked as 25%

Edited by Airbagwill

7 hours ago, elephant45 said:

I love it, lets go for the Guinness book of world records in all types of road carnage.

One of my personal favorites is the windows blacked out Toyota pick up truck that puts on its turn signal, slows down then doesn't turn on to where he or shes going, forcing the five vehicles behind it do a rear-ender. Ha ha. Oh yes and they were all tail gaiting at 1mtr.

4 wheel road deaths per 100k  inThailand are just about  the same as the USA

On 18/01/2018 at 11:33 AM, seajae said:

these idiots simply do not want to slow down or have to stop, instead they expect all other road users to pull over so they can keep going. The driver should lose his license and the bus company fined, if the police actually start making all the ones doing this crap have to pay huge fines etc it will begin to stop. I have had this happen to me and I was lucky I wasnt killed as I had no where to go to get away from the bus, I ended up having to drive in amongst trees to avoid a head on, it was a steep hill with double lines but that didnt stop the idiot driver and he did not have the power to pass the other bus, he was simply driving beside it but refused to pull back in behind it. Police need to get all these bus, truck, car and bike riders that do this crap off the roads 

Seems the bus company should be done for gross pollution, judging by the black cloud behind the suicide bus.

I'm assuming they DO have laws about that sort of thing.

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

just read the signs....

Swaine's Lane Highgate: Not marked as uphill only. A long drag but my estimate is something like 12% tops.
Brittacy Hill, Mill Hill. Similar to the above.
Star & Garter Hill Richmond. Marked as 10%.
Nightingale Lane, Richmond. Not marked as uphill only. Claimed as 1/5. Not sure but looks 1/6 to me.
Gravel Hill, Finchley. Not marked but would be 10% by my estimate.
Highgate Hill. Marked as 10%
Shooters Hill. Not marked but estimated by me at 10% or less.
Roads to Crystal Palace. Anerley Hill is 10%. Gipsy Hill perhaps the same.
Chingford Mount/Muswell Hill. Can't find anything really steep here.
Succombs Hill. Marked as 25%
Ena Road. As discussed marked as 17%
Canonbie Road, Honor Oak. Marked as 18%
Spout Hill, Addington. Marked as 17%
Downe Road. Marked as 25%

And how many of these "mountains" are on bus routes and traversed by double deckers and trucks? quite a few I would guess.

41 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

And how many of these "mountains" are on bus routes and traversed by double deckers and trucks? quite a few I would guess.

Seriously Eddie? Read the original comments....you've just answered your own criticism

Edited by Airbagwill

One thing the black smoke tells us is that the bus is going on full throttle.

It also tells us that the engine  injectors are incorrectly set up....probably in an effort to increase power.

There are speed limits for coaches in Thailand (80km on most roads) but as far as I'm aware no governors.

The EU has a system of lithographs for all large commercial vehicles whether goods or passengers which record hours speed and other information pertaining to both drivers and their vehicles.

It requires an enormous amount of bureaucracy and training to enforce, but it is obviously a factor in why EU leads the world in road safety.

With the advent of international travel around ASEAN it might well be a system that ASEAN and Thailand should consider.

Edited by Airbagwill

On ‎18‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 5:43 PM, fasteddie said:

Why would he have stalled it? even if he'd have to go down in to first that's the way the cookie crumbles, don't you think they have  buses and trucks in Switzerland, Nepal and other mountainous countries?

That clown stalled out sounds like a very safe alternative to me?

Problem here as well as most third world countries ( lived 8 years Brazil, 12 years Costa Rica and a couple years here) is lack of education mixed with the macho attitude. When the Government is content that a sixth grade education is good enough and cutting in line to get lunch goes unpunished what does one expect when these people end up behind the wheel? There is no analytical processes taking place here, no comprehension of space, time, speed or momentum. Just petal to the metal, I'll think this through later. Take into consideration the relative immunity Thais have in accidents here and it is easy to understand that video.

My wife says it's thai pride in vehicle ownership syndrome. Thai's feel like little gods behind a steering wheel.

And when Yingluck brought in that cheap car scheme, 5 million<deleted> bought a Vios. These slow motion disasters and crazy pickups are the biggest danger when driving long distances here

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

A spectacular display of impatience. I imagine the coach passengers would have been terrified.

"oh shit ..... are you kidding" would definately have crossed my mind.

In Australia, this dash cam footage could be submitted to the cops, and prosecution would be the likely outcome. Also, a DCM for the driver.

I don't suppose that'll happen here.

The black exhaust is unburned fuel, quite possibly caused by the driver in too high a gear, causing the engine to labouriously lug.

Tachographs (not lithographs), are a fantastic tool for management, but regrettably do not highlight poor driving decisions as displayed here.

1 hour ago, electric said:

A spectacular display of impatience. I imagine the coach passengers would have been terrified.

"oh shit ..... are you kidding" would definately have crossed my mind.

In Australia, this dash cam footage could be submitted to the cops, and prosecution would be the likely outcome. Also, a DCM for the driver.

I don't suppose that'll happen here.

The black exhaust is unburned fuel, quite possibly caused by the driver in too high a gear, causing the engine to labouriously lug.

Tachographs (not lithographs), are a fantastic tool for management, but regrettably do not highlight poor driving decisions as displayed here.

Nachos restrict driving hours and monitor speed. If adhered to, tired drivers don't need to take drugs to keep going and are less likely to make poor decisions. They are forced to take a break....so the above incident is FAR less likely to have occurred.

PS _ "Lithographs" and "nachos" are the results of predictive text....No need to change, I think.

Thai "mechanics" like to open up injectors as much as possible....The problem with diesels is all you ever do is inrease the amount of fuel..... air stays the same...The result is after a point just lots of black smoke.

Take a look at the hoons in their "chipped" pickups

Edited by Airbagwill