Thailand suggests slower bullet train amid high cost estimate

webfact

I don't see how Thailand can afford it.  It would only serve the tourists and the rich.  The disparity grows ever wider.  Low or no interest loans for the poor would serve them better.  You can fly to Chiang Mai for goodness sakes who needs the high-speed train.

Edited by 9KPhalak
additional statement

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

200 kph would be fine for this country. Take in the scenery and enjoy the trip, depart and arrive on time. Built safely to standard guage and properly maintained, sounds simple enough, the key word though is simple how and to whom does it apply?

1 hour ago, Thian said:

The purple line goes through the subs, at every station they are building skyscrapers now...

But to get to the skytrain they built huge entrances, 2 long escalators and huge platforms halfway. All is oversized.

The sidewalks to the stations are still very crappy though, and very dangerous...full of holes, hanging wires, mud and so on.

I even spotted a new condominium called "rich park condominium" :sick: and at the river they don't build nice large condo's with a  view....i wonder why that is.

Some big construction contractors overdo it with the design and convince the mainly naive client they need a bigger, better something then the price goes up. Seen it a few times high-speed features on Metros. Always makes me smile totally unnecessary

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Seriously, would anyone been in LOS a few years ride a train here that travels at a minimum speed of 200kph?

The only reason they upgraded the line north of Bkk to Chiang Mai is that trains kept falling off the tracks. Then there was the line in the hills that collapsed, because there was a bit of rain that washed the embankment away, and they fixed it by apparently just pushing the dirt back under the track.

I'm happy to travel at a speed that is survivable when something goes wrong.

As Thian mentioned there is a bumpy ride on a metro train 80kph max. Bumpy track at 200kph, if it didn't fall off everyone on the train would be plastered all over the carriage

13 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

Some big construction contractors overdo it with the design and convince the mainly naive client they need a bigger, better something then the price goes up. Seen it a few times high-speed features on Metros. Always makes me smile totally unnecessary

Simple explanation. More concrete, bigger "profit' all round. 

1 hour ago, 9KPhalak said:

I don't see how Thailand can afford it.  It would only serve the tourists and the rich.  The disparity grows ever wider.  Low or no interest loans for the poor would serve them better.  You can fly to Chiang Mai for goodness sakes who needs the high-speed train.

More trains, less planes. Excellent for the environment.

On Friday, January 19, 2018 at 2:19 PM, JAG said:

But a very strange colour RC, everyone knows that steam locomotives that are designed to go fast are painted deep bronze green, with copper caps on the chimneys and brass safety valve covers...

Remember - Swindon scrapped 'em at the clearances others built 'em at!

Image result for City of Truro West Somerset Railway

Ah , God's Wonderfull Railway and City of Truro.  A few months ago and Tornado doing the ton ( just ) was wonderfull . The prettiest    SR rebuilt Merchant Navy class.

Let me go see if my anorak has dried yet.

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

Ah , God's Wonderfull Railway and City of Truro.  A few months ago and Tornado doing the ton ( just ) was wonderfull . The prettiest    SR rebuilt Merchant Navy class.

The reason Tornado did the ton was that only locomotives that have a 100 mph running capability are going to be allowed to run the mainlines from this year I think it is. so thats. Tornado the only steamer, Deltics, 50's, 67s and 68s. all the rest only on secondary routes.

The reason Tornado did the ton was that only locomotives that have a 100 mph running capability are going to be allowed to run the mainlines from this year I think it is. so thats. Tornado the only steamer, Deltics, 50's, 67s and 68s. all the rest only on secondary routes.

18 hours ago, nong38 said:

I would beg to disagree, I saw the Mallard at York in the 80's as well, alas it will probably never run again, but, my daughter has been on the footplate of Sir Nigel Gresley, Deltic Pinza and an HST at Kings Cross, she knows about railway icons and the difference between a 3 cylinder loco and a 2 cylinder. I think you would be surprised how many women are interested and take the kids along.

Good comment, but actually my original post was something of a double entendre (en tender) :thumbsup:

17 hours ago, nong38 said:

I think I picked up on that , steam makes a lot of money but can slow down regular traffic if limited to 70 .   I thought it was rather sad to see express locos on private lines doing only 25mph.

I think I picked up on that , steam makes a lot of money but can slow down regular traffic if limited to 70 .   I thought it was rather sad to see express locos on private lines doing only 25mph.

Steam will still be about but on secondary main lines and where there is a lower speed limit but it comes down to slowing the timetabled trains is to be a big no no because of the compensation culture.